Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Safe T Plus on Winnebago Journey

Anyone have this installed on a Winnebago Journey? We have a 34H and was wondering if its worth it. I can pick one up used for 1 season for $250.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

As long as it's one for your chassis. There are different models for different chassis. You don't just buy a Safe-T-Plus and it fits everything.

Model Selection: https://www.safe-t-plus.com/which-unit/

Also, it's basically a shock absorber - and as we all know, shock absorbers do wear out. So, if it's used, and it fits your chassis make sure it's not worn out. Oh, and there is specific mounting hardware for installing one as well. You generally have to purchase the Safe-T-Plus and then it's mounting hardware.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:27 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Not too much could break or fail on one and they carry a great Lifetime Warranty. I could not ever imagine having to replace one at your expense if you had them install it. These things are used 24X7 by big trucks so the wear on a motorhome is not all that significant. But the warranty would not apply to a used one. Creative Part is absolutely correct going the used route would not be a good move as Safe T Plus devices are specifically fitted to specific rig models.

You can get the device put on at many places and it pays to shop. But the best place is at the factory in Tallapoosa GA just off I-20 west of Atlanta if you are around that area. Unbelievably great customer service and you can watch them install the device as they want you to know all about it and how it works. I think they may let you boondock at the new site when you get it installed-- which only takes about an hour. They showed me how to make adjustments which I have done only 2X in the past 5 years. That took about 5 minutes each time. Initially, they took me out on the road with me driving and adjusted and tuned it to the rig. Great folks to do business with.

It's the best safety device I have installed and has given us much better handling and a lot of peace of mind relative to front tire failures
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Get the one sized for the weight of your motorhome, and the mounting kit for it. As someone who never really appreciated the "loose" feeling of the steering in Ford trucks and vans, the driving improvement is significant.

They are not hard to install, just need a good torque wrench, the correct sockets, and some cardboard to lay on.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
WinnieAdven38

I installed a steering stabilizer on my 2005 Adventurer. Highly recommended for safety and steering reasons.

However - I bought a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer as it does exactly the same thing - but it costs about 1/2 of the Safe-T-Plus. After all both are really nothing more than a sideways mounted shock absorber with a larger centering spring.

They are fairly easy to install - though you do have buy the kit specific to your model. On my model the hardest part was loosening the 4 large U Bolt nuts onto which I had to mount the locating plate for the stabilizer - but that would be required no matter which brand you bought.

I buy a new Roadmaster kit again. Used for 2+ years with no problem.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
Former Winnebago Owner

I'm guessing you are thinking about this to help improve handling? I installed one on my 2011 Meridian 34Y. I really couldn't tell if it made much of a difference. The biggest thing I found for improving handling (wondering, pull when passing/getting passed by semi's) was from proper tire inflation. After weighing my coach I found tires were significantly over inflated on the front (110 psi vs. 95 psi). the pressure difference made an amazing improvement in handling.
As mentioned make sure it is the correct model for your coach - it will be the blue one. The mounting hardware is custom designed for each coach. Visit the web site (https://www.safe-t-plus.com/) to find the correct hardware and compare to what the used unit has.

Safe travels,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had one installed on my 2003 Winnebago Journey DL 36. It's worth the money just for easier driving but also big safety on a complete blow out on a front tire
Kenn
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

we installed one on our old 1992 adventurer with 19.5 " tires , helped with-passing semis,and cross winds, thankfully had no blow outs to have to test them . it was the blue unit on an Oshkosh frame , they sill had all the correct mounting brackets in stock, heading dwn to the factory to have one installed on our ,new to us 36 journey in January
gabbyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago