Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Safe-t-plus

I just completed the install of a new SAFE-T-PLUS steering stabilizer. I did all of the work myself and it didn't take but a few hours. The factory was really helpful in their videos and written instructions. I did have my front end alignment checked before the install and it was spot on (we only have 16,000 miles on the Aspect). As others have warned, be careful when reinstalling the smaller frame bolts that the mounting plate gets attached to....very easy to strip those! I did have to use a cheater bar on my 1/2' drive breaker bar to get the larger front bolts loose. Even my air wrench couldn't break those loose. I did use the blue Loctite on the reinstall to the frame. It took one adjustment to center the new unit.

We weren't having any issues before I purchased this. I chose to upgrade based upon posts by others that they wouldn't even own a MH without one of these installed. I just returned taking her down I-40 10 miles and back. I had the opportunity to pass several 18 wheelers and what a difference! No more tightly grabbing the steering wheel with both hands and no movement of the rig when passing! None! I'm sold on this puppy! My hand literally rests on the steering wheel to make corrections as needed from the road slopes/angles/roughness. I don't have to grip it tightly at all. This may change when I drive in windy conditions.

A couple of notes. I was able to purchase the stabilizer and the correct mounting plate for about $350 from Camping World. They had a 15% sale going online and since I bought it originally back on Veteran's Day weekend, I got an additional 10% off being a veteran! So the units are available online for less than you might be able to get them locally. Do your homework to save a few bucks!

The other thing I wanted to mention is to save the factory/stock small stabilizer. Another poster recommended that I keep it because when we go to sell the MH, we can always take the SAFE-T-PLUS off and put the factory one back on, if desired. If we get another Class C, chances are it will be the same unit so I can simply transfer it over from one to another. I don't know that I will actually do that but it's nice to keep our options open.

So, I can highly recommend the SAFE-T-PLUS steering stabilizer. If you have any mechanical abilities, it is very simple to do it yourself and save some bucks.

Al
Old 12-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm also very happy with my Safe-T-Plus. I noticed on mine that in spite of the factory Safe-T-Plus paint coating that it started to show rust after 2 years on the road, so you may want to keep an eye out for that. I just hit it with some Rust-O-Leum spray paint on the areas showing rust to keep that in check.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I'm also very happy with my Safe-T-Plus. I noticed on mine that in spite of the factory Safe-T-Plus paint coating that it started to show rust after 2 years on the road, so you may want to keep an eye out for that. I just hit it with some Rust-O-Leum spray paint on the areas showing rust to keep that in check.
Thanks...I'll keep an eye on it!

Al
Old 02-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When we had our Tiffin Breeze 28 class A I installed the Safe T Plus and it did exactly what it claims! keeps steering wheel centered and possibly help when you have a blowout.

Later, because of the short wheel base and Breeze steering sensitivity I changed it out to a Blue OX true center, essentially a Safe T Plus but you can set/adjust the centering electrically. this was very usefull when driving in a crosswind.

Now we tow a Winnie 2108FBS with a Mercedes GLE, it has crosswind assist build in. it's kindda handy
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote