Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rust on tires from steel rims

I find it necessary to wash off a red stain from our tires that appears to be rust coming the 22.5" steel rims on our MH. The stain comes on after driving about 500 miles and does not seem to be necessarily assosiated with wet road conditions.

I wash the tires with a mild soap [dish washing soap] and do not coat the tires with any after market chemicals like Amerall. After washing the tires are rinsed clean with fresh water.

Is this rust a problem that I should be somehow dealing with? Other than the washing that is. Should the tires be demounted and repainted?

All 6 tires are new. I just don't like that red stuff on my tires.

Strange, seems to happen mostly on the rear wheels.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

might be brake dust
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

pine tree,
I doubt seriously there is major concern here. You say all six tires are new? Well, depending on just how new they are, one thing you might do is return to the place the tires were mounted and maybe consult the tech who did the work and see if he remembers any deteriorating conditions of the wheels as he did the work. If not, just take have one of the troublesome wheels broken down and inspect it. You'll then KNOW the exact condition of them and can decide your course of action.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is a pretty common occourance. It happens mainly when the wheel covers rub against the edge of the rim. Over time the wheel covers wear through the paint and the steel on the rims is exposed the atmosphere. A little rust forms on the surface and is rubbed off again when the wheel cover flexes.

About the only way to slow it down is to repaint the affected areas on the wheels then put some type of insulating material between the wheel cover and the wheel. Some wheel covers come with thin strips of dense foam either glued to or held to the cover with double sided tape. With all the vibration and flexing of the wheel covers the insulating material will probably have to be replaced every year or so.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have the same situation, and agree with Hikerdogs comments and solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
This is a pretty common occurance. It happens mainly when the wheel covers rub against the edge of the rim. Over time the wheel covers wear through the paint and the steel on the rims is exposed the atmosphere. A little rust forms on the surface and is rubbed off again when the wheel cover flexes.

About the only way to slow it down is to repaint the affected areas on the wheels then put some type of insulating material between the wheel cover and the wheel. Some wheel covers come with thin strips of dense foam either glued to or held to the cover with double sided tape. With all the vibration and flexing of the wheel covers the insulating material will probably have to be replaced every year or so.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs has got it right. Many years ago I took four small pieces of clear plastic tubing, slit them length wise fitted them over the rim of my wheel covers. Never had the problem again. I put one piece about 2" long at the 12-3-6-9 o'clock position to even out the weight distribution, although I don't really think that was a big factor. Try it, see if it helps your problem.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

That's what I like about these forums, there's always a "Macgyver" or "Rube Goldberg" around with a fix for just about anything. Cool!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Remove wheel covers if any, lay a thin layer of grease on the threads of the lug nuts and on the FACE of the lug nuts (the edge facing you) use paniter's tape on the tire right at the edge of the rim.. SPRAY with rust control paint. I prefer ACME but Rust-O-Leum is ok.. Just rememver if you use R-O-L you can't switch brands next time.

Once you have done all wheels, go back and remove the tape. Removal of the grease from the lug nut threads is optional but do it on the ones you need for locking down the covers.

Tags
rust, tires