Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ride-On Tire Sealant

Okay folks, need your opinions of a new (supposedly) panacea for flat tires??? Have any of you researched the Ride-On tire Protection Sealant/Balancer that professes to be the "fix" for our RV tire issuesTire Sealant | Puncture Repair | Flat Tire Repair | Tire Protection Systems for Motorcycle, Automotive, ATV and Heavy Equipment - Ride-On?? Snake Oil or worth exploring further?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If it's anything like fix a flat, I heard people the change your tires out hate it because it's a big sticky mess when you break a tire down.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

They due complain about changing tires with that in there. However they are not the one's being stuck somewhere with a flat tire waiting on someone to come and change it or pump it up and fix it. When I use anything like fix a flat, or tire slime I make sure to tell the garage that is doing the tire work that there is something in there. Just dont want them to be surprised if they break the bead with a little bit of air.
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Okay folks, need your opinions of a new (supposedly) panacea for flat tires??? Have any of you researched the Ride-On tire Protection Sealant/Balancer that professes to be the "fix" for our RV tire issuesTire Sealant | Puncture Repair | Flat Tire Repair | Tire Protection Systems for Motorcycle, Automotive, ATV and Heavy Equipment - Ride-On?? Snake Oil or worth exploring further?
ChiefJohn
Two words: "Snake Oil"!
Nothing is as good as the time tested, (aka: old fashioned), methods of tire balancing, maintainance and repair/replacement.

Beware of any shortcut, gimmick and/or gadget, (especially for your RV).
IMO, most only do exactly what they are designed to do.... (separate you from your $$)!

Mel
'96 Sahara, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have no personal experience with the stuff, however when I was considering something similar I found none of the major tire manufacturers will warranty a tire that has been filled with sealant of any kind. If you do use it you'll be totally on your own if the tire fails for any reason. That includes circumstances that would normally be covered by warranty.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I've used Ride On on motorcycle tires and it works for sealing punctures. I have removed tires after several years and it was all gummy but possibly still effective.

Guys on the BMW forum swear by it for on and off road use.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I use "Slime" in all of my outdoor equipment and it really works. Before using it I was always having a low or flat tire. I do not use it in my cars, trucks or RV's. That's not to say I wouldn't use it to get myself to a repair station. I carry it as a per-caution.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
I've used Ride On on motorcycle tires and it works for sealing punctures. I have removed tires after several years and it was all gummy but possibly still effective.

jmckinley
Since a motorcycle tire contains only a small fraction of the volume of air needed by any RV tire I don't understand how motorcycle tire information relates to motor home tires.
I'm curious....what does the fact that you've used, and "guys on the BMW forum swear by", Ride On in motorcycle tires have to do with motor home, tires?
Thanks
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I think it is pertinent information. The main difference between motorcycle tires and RV tires is volume. The fact that it works in motorcycle tires is a positive thing.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I think it is pertinent information. The main difference between motorcycle tires and RV tires is volume. The fact that it works in motorcycle tires is a positive thing.
John
That may be true, however, only a small amount of RideOn, (or a like sealing/ balancing product), is need in a motorcycle tire.
Common sense dictates that it would take 20-50 times as much to be as effective in a coach tire.
My 2 Cents.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

ride on

I have used it in my can am spyder tires since 2011. The tires are the same size as car tires, different rubber compound I am told. I am on my second set of tires without a flat. Did pick up a screw in the rear tire two years a go. Tire sealed its self after screw removal. The tires do tend to shake a little after sitting for a week or longer but that goes away after a few miles. It is water soluble and is easily washed out.
Works for me.

Bob
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

For those of you that have used it....have you had a problem with it clogging up the air stem yet?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
I don't think too many Class A's are used in off road or trail use. The type of tire failures in RV or truck tires is different than off road tire failures.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

It basically would only protect against puncture from nails and screws. Same for motorcycles and RVS.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
For those of you that have used it....have you had a problem with it clogging up the air stem yet?

NO. I have never had a valve problem with Slime or any other problem.

For the naysayers, it is sold in different sizes to match the job you need done. I have also asked a mechanic who fixed a tire for me on a toad if he had any problems with the tire as it had the sealent in it. He told me no, it washes out. I had him repair a tire that I could see a large screw imbedded in the tread. It did not leak air prior to the repair.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I'm one of the naysayers! No way will I ever use any goop inside the tire. Use a plug instead if you must but even that is temporary to get you on your way. Swap to a spare and get the tire fixed correctly...off the rim, patched on the inside. Anything else is a bandaid asking for trouble.

If you have TPS sensors then any goop will foul them!!
mileshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshuff View Post
I'm one of the naysayers! No way will I ever use any goop inside the tire. Use a plug instead if you must but even that is temporary to get you on your way. Swap to a spare and get the tire fixed correctly...off the rim, patched on the inside. Anything else is a bandaid asking for trouble.

If you have TPS sensors then any goop will foul them!!
X2!
And good info re: TPS sensors!
Mel

Tags
seal