Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone checked their Ride Height?

My neighbor had his checked on his Monaco and found it to be pretty out of whack so I decided after my "shake down" trip, I had them check my ride height. The question is, what is within tolerance? From my Freightliner paperwork, they did all the measuring and found that the chassis is riding perfectly but the body is out of level. Here's what they found:

BODY MEASUREMENTS:

Left Front: 47 3/4
Right Front: 46 3/4
Left Rear: 48 1/2
Right Rear: 47 3/4

CHASSIS MEASUREMENTS:

Left Front: 24"
Right Front: 24"
Left Rear: 20 1/4"
Right Rear: 20 1/4"

The Tech quoted the chassis being level and the body leaning to the right and forward which the measurements do substantiate.

The question then becomes, is this normal? What does the leveling system do? Does it sense the level at the chassis or the body? Does this force to much pressure on the right front jack which by these measurements is off almost 2 inches?

My neighbor said his adjusted ride height made a difference in his coaches driving ease. He said he was out several inches as well.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone checked their Ride Height?

My neighbor had his checked on his Monaco and found it to be pretty out of whack so I decided after my "shake down" trip, I had them check my ride height. The question is, what is within tolerance? From my Freightliner paperwork, they did all the measuring and found that the chassis is riding perfectly but the body is out of level. Here's what they found:

BODY MEASUREMENTS:

Left Front: 47 3/4
Right Front: 46 3/4
Left Rear: 48 1/2
Right Rear: 47 3/4

CHASSIS MEASUREMENTS:

Left Front: 24"
Right Front: 24"
Left Rear: 20 1/4"
Right Rear: 20 1/4"

The Tech quoted the chassis being level and the body leaning to the right and forward which the measurements do substantiate.

The question then becomes, is this normal? What does the leveling system do? Does it sense the level at the chassis or the body? Does this force to much pressure on the right front jack which by these measurements is off almost 2 inches?

My neighbor said his adjusted ride height made a difference in his coaches driving ease. He said he was out several inches as well.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Tracy,

Saturday afternoon I will be on a hard flat surface. I will measuremy ride height and I will let you know what it is.

Adrian

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

HERE'S a link to the Discovery people on ride height adjustments. I use to have a DP and found the Discovery people almost as helpful as the Winnie people

I'm not sure if it's the same frame as yours (Freightliner Winnebago Evolution) but maybe it'll help.
They talk about a ride height measurement between the shock absorber bolt and the frame of 10.25 inches. Interesting reading, if nothing else.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When you find something "out of whack" where do you get more 'whack'?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

DonavonP,

Thanks for the info. I read it and read the instructions in the manual for my evolution chassis. Somehow, the Freightliner numbers don't seem correct, but I'll try to measure them myself this weekend rain permitting (yes we actually do get some rain here in SoCal). Something does seem "a-miss" though.

ON EDIT: I also note that there is NO mention in the Freightliner manual for what is "normal" or within tolerance. Is 20 1/4" in the front and 24 in the back really what it is supposed to be? No Clue

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve:
When you find something "out of whack" where do you get more 'whack'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe my wife can better answer that

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-17-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Tracey,if you'll check the "ride height" with your humongous self sitting in the driver's seat, me thinks you'll be right on the bubble!!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yep, lotsa laughs here too....

P.S. (I'll getcha back you know...)

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I called Winnebago to get the ride height specs. found that mine was considerably off. It's easy to check, but I found that when adjusting it was easier to make a stick exactly the length of the ride height. Getting the ruler of tape exactly in the right position to read every time was a pain.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey Cal-Tex,

Just curious as to the word "Easy". The ride height adjustment calls for the measuring of your shock for the most part. I found I needed to crawl (on my back), under the coach to perform the task. I'm not a large person, but at over 6' carrying a couple of hundred pounds with me, it wasn't a lot of fun to say the least Do you know of an easier way?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Big Trace, maybe "easy" isn't the right word. I am 6' 200 pounds also, I put down some plastic to make it easier to slide on the cememt (no room for a creeper). Not easy I guess, but something you can do in less than a half hour. As I said earlier an exact lenght stick helps to avoid a lot of squirming around trying to see the markers on the tape.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hey CalTex,

I didn't think of the plastic as that might help the "slide" issue. I just thought you might have a different way of doing the measurement than I do. I do like the "stick" idea and will incorporate that into my checks as well. Thanks for the great advice!!.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-21-2006, 04:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I would be VERY careful when crawling under a motorhome.A friend of a friend told me that someone he new was under his motorhome and a Air Bag blew out,the motorhome dropped and crushed him.Before I go under my motorhome the JACKS are down.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Don't want to be a hijacker but to use as a creeper and takes up little space go to Home Depot or the like and get a length of stair cover plastic. We have about 8 feet so it'll go pretty much side to side. Rolls up to a nice small roll and is easy to slide across and to store.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Ed, I agree with your comments. To do the ride height check I dropped the jacks down to within 1/2 inch of the floor. I'm not sure of how much the jack would compress if a bag failed, but it's better than nothing.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

During the Ride height adjustment process, your jacks cannot be down as this interferes with the measurement. I do, however, manually put them down to within an inch or so of the ground "just in case" as at least it doesn't have far to fall. I do put them down when under at all other times though.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure others would also appreciate this story.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Savannah:
Don't want to be a hijacker but to use as a creeper and takes up little space go to Home Depot or the like and get a length of stair cover plastic. We have about 8 feet so it'll go pretty much side to side. Rolls up to a nice small roll and is easy to slide across and to store. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's another good idea, thanks Savannah!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD