Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Removing Wheel Covers

I have a 2010 Winnebago Journey Express with a Fraightliner chassis. I am trying to remove the wheel covers but when i pry they flex but do not move. Is there something holding them or do i pry harder.
JFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am assuming you have chrome wheel covers. The ones I have dealt with you must first remove the lugnut caps then pry the wheel covers off, and yes they can be stubborn. I use a large pair of channel lock pliers , wrap a rag around the lugnut caps & work the caps off, then use the tire tool or a large screw driver to pry off the wheel cover. Hope this helps you.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you have not got them off yet, There should be a grey t-handled tool. Use it to remove the 2 solid lug nuts (tap on them to determine).

If they are on too tight, the tool will strip, and you will have to buy a real socket and pry bar.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The 2 nuts to remove should have a dimple on two sides and should be opposing. As stated, they can sometines be stubborn the first time.
I found a big adjustable wrench to work good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Just in case maybe pictures will help at this link Dicor

When looking for the "loaded" lug nut cover knock on it like you would a door it makes a solid sound compared to hollow.

If you managed to get them off already lets us known.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You folks are amazing! Sometimes I think this forum has ESP. I've been researching TPMS so this weekend I checked out our Sightseer to see if the wheels had metal valve stems. In checking, I noticed the front hubs were misaligned and would need to be removed and aligned to accommodate the sensors. So you answered one of my questions; namely, how to remove the hubs and I did see dimples on at least one of the lugs. But I'm still not sure the stems are long enough to accommodate sensors. Can extensions be used with TPMS?

Second question, I only saw one valve extension on the rear axle. It was a long stem that looked like braided metal. Is the stem for the inside tire located on the inside of the wheel under the coach? I just couldn't force myself to lie in a puddle and crawl underneath to check. I checked the Winnie and Ford manuals and couldn't find anything on the tire stems. Can sensors be attached to the "braided" stem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

jim
AlwaysDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDusty View Post
You folks are amazing! Sometimes I think this forum has ESP. I've been researching TPMS so this weekend I checked out our Sightseer to see if the wheels had metal valve stems. In checking, I noticed the front hubs were misaligned and would need to be removed and aligned to accommodate the sensors. So you answered one of my questions; namely, how to remove the hubs and I did see dimples on at least one of the lugs. But I'm still not sure the stems are long enough to accommodate sensors. Can extensions be used with TPMS?

Second question, I only saw one valve extension on the rear axle. It was a long stem that looked like braided metal. Is the stem for the inside tire located on the inside of the wheel under the coach? I just couldn't force myself to lie in a puddle and crawl underneath to check. I checked the Winnie and Ford manuals and couldn't find anything on the tire stems. Can sensors be attached to the "braided" stem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

jim
i use 4 90 degree extensions. the rear inboard braided extensions work ok with my tst sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	8728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	8729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	8730  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
My problem is that I have lost two of the wheel nuts that hold the chrome wheel covers on. I can get the chrome covers for the nuts, but the nuts themselves are a 14mm thread, on a 9/16" head. This means that the correct size head does not screw onto the thread properly, and the correct size thread is significantly smaller in the head than the appropriate size chrome nut cover. Is this the way they are made, or has someone butchered my rig somewhere between USA and New Zealand!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Contact Lichtsinn Motors, they can probably help - don't know if they ship International.