Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Removing Jet Air and installing leaf springs.

Hi, I have a 94 Vectra with one blown airbag for my Jet Air suspension. While surveying my undercarriage I see that the mount for leaf springs is attached to the frame. I have been researching removing the Jet system all together and replacing with a heavy duty set of leaf springs.

My question, Has anyone done this modification? If so your thoughts?

The leafs with added shackle would run about $800. See: leafs
rICHGOSSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Go test drive an F53 chassis based gasser and you will get your answer. I own an RV based on the F53 chassis and I would never trade an air suspension for leaf springs. Leaf springs produce a very harsh ride that many spends thousands of dollars trying to make better.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem on my 93' MH. I may have missed it but do you have a P-series on a Chev. chassis or a Ford? I've seen pics online which make me believe that the rear bags are much closer to the rims/tires/calipers on a Chev vs. the Ford. Worn bushings can add to your problems.
This job has been done by a member of this fourm... Check for posts by Alfred.

His advice to me was as follows:

"Mine is a Single rear axle 32 Footer P30 Motorhome. Chevrolet.

I assume yours is too. What i Did was Crawl under an old South wind and look at the set up. It wasn't any different than what I saw under a GMC k3500 rear Dually Truck. Remember the Jet system uses the factory Leaf spring hangers on the frame

So I went to the Junk Yard and spent hours getting a set of Springs off a mid 80's K3500. Remember to Count the Leaves. You need springs with I believe 10 Leafs. I got the Hangers and every thing.

Then i took them apart at home and found 2 broken Leaf's so I wish I had just bought new ones but what i did is buy replacement top springs.

However, here is the link for the ones you will need 22-617HD | 1981-1991 GM Rear Leaf Spring

Just be sure to Measure your vehicle from spring center to center of each bolt.

Then i had to buy new Rear Hangers for the 3500. You can check the Sight.

Ok then I Removed one side at a Time and Then using some jacks i installed the springs. There is planty of Youtube videos on GMC rear truck suspension

I pulled all the Air ride crap off and pitched it. Bought new sway bar Bushings and used that Sway arm that was on it..

Another fun fact... When i was Done it sat really Low. So what I did was bought 3 inch Metal spacers off ebay that go between the Axle and spring. Worked Great. However,,, I had to get 4 new U-Bolts custom made at a Truck shop. They can do it while you wait believe it or not....

Then it sat really good but beat the crap out of me as I rode down the road. I had Monroes shocks on it. I bought a Set of Bilstein and it drives better than air bags...

happy to help cost me about $800 but for a problem free Rear it was worth it."

In the end my problem appeared to be a ride height issue and that seems to be fixed now but the whole system makes me nervous sometimes. When the bags were out it rode literally like an out of control hayrack.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Jet Company Replacement air springs: Firestone W01-358-9260

Quote:
Originally Posted by rICHGOSSMAN View Post
Hi, I have a 94 Vectra with one blown airbag for my Jet Air suspension. While surveying my undercarriage I see that the mount for leaf springs is attached to the frame. I have been researching removing the Jet system all together and replacing with a heavy duty set of leaf springs.

My question, Has anyone done this modification? If so your thoughts?
The leafs with added shackle would run about $800. See: leafs

I agree with other RV owners with Jet Company Air Ride, it a superior suspension. Has OEM Hellwig front and rear sway bars added in addition. Hellwig will send you new bushings if you call their tech folks and explain old bushings fail. My air springs are intact and hold air but are from 1994. Only 24K miles on this Vectra but time for a new set.

Moreover my 1994 Vectra had OEM Air Ride front springs installed inside of the front coils. They had crumbled to pieces just like the OEM sway bar bushings had.

Jet Company Replacement air springs: Least expensive I could find on web.
Firestone Airide Replacement Air Spring - W01-358-9260
Your Price: $222.17 each
Low Price Guarantee
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com

I am thinking of posting an replacement video online because I have only located one person that has done a video. "Class A Living" channel on youtube. I do not think the entire steel air reservoir has to be removed to replace the air spring.
TallTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install