Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Yes, a walk-around with the owner/manager, while discussing your concerns, would be in order.

If you use your leveling jacks, they should put H.D. jack-stands under the frame, not only for personal safety, but protection from damage to your rig, just in case. That is the way we did it when mine was done.
Now that is a scary thought! They actually wanted to use your leveling jacks to lift the coach so the wheels could be removed? I would hope they have the ability to put the coach on a lift? Even my dealer has several lifts in the shop! I guess you really cannot 'assume' anything?

Dan, I had thought about the torque values and checking them. I suspect that will mean a return trip to the dealer as I do not own a torque multiplier! I have seen smaller ones but never anything that would go up to six or so hundred pounds that may be required for our wheels? Guess I should know that number before I arrive?

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Dan is right, and they do have the big torque wrenches... a different color for each torque. Make sure they use them. I had to insist, as the tire changer was looking for shortcuts, and told me that his gargantuan impact wrench would put them on tight. When I asked him to what torque it stops at, he said when they are tight. I told him we couldn;t do it that way, even though he said that is what they do on all the trucks.

Manager told him to get the torque multipliers out, and use the correct one. He did. I believe he was new to motorhome tire work. Talk to the manager to get it all straight before you let them touch it.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote