Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #1

Got my MH back from Workhorse today and one of the rear wheel simulators doesn't look ˜centered' on the wheel. (Top on wheel in image; you can see the wheel lip but it doesn't fit that way all the way around the wheel.)

Two stainless lug nut covers are missing (damaged while in for ring & pinion repair) so I can see lug nuts. It looks like two nuts per bolt; if I remove these, will the simulator pull off?

Thank you!

Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #2

Got my MH back from Workhorse today and one of the rear wheel simulators doesn't look ˜centered' on the wheel. (Top on wheel in image; you can see the wheel lip but it doesn't fit that way all the way around the wheel.)

Two stainless lug nut covers are missing (damaged while in for ring & pinion repair) so I can see lug nuts. It looks like two nuts per bolt; if I remove these, will the simulator pull off?

Thank you!

Old 06-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes, the wheel cover will come right off once you remove those two nuts. As to your question about centered, most covers I have seen over the many years are like yours and mine were the same way until last week when I made some improvements. If you could see your coach as it is going down the road you would most likely notice what looks like your wheel is whobbling when actually it is just the cover not being centered. I have had several people tell me on the CB I have a wheel coming off. To help correct this I did a search on another site and found that by taking 5/8 round weather striping and gluing it to the outer rim of the wheel cover this will help eliminate this "off center" effect since it fills the gap between the cover and the rim. It also keeps the cover from moving around when the wheel is in motion. In addition, I also bought large rubber washers that I put on all the studs before I put the wheel cover back on. This really took care of any noise that I kept hearing. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fun time:
Yes, the wheel cover will come right off once you remove those two nuts. As to your question about centered, most covers I have seen over the many years are like yours and mine were the same way until last week when I made some improvements. If you could see your coach as it is going down the road you would most likely notice what looks like your wheel is whobbling when actually it is just the cover not being centered. I have had several people tell me on the CB I have a wheel coming off. To help correct this I did a search on another site and found that by taking 5/8 round weather striping and gluing it to the outer rim of the wheel cover this will help eliminate this "off center" effect since it fills the gap between the cover and the rim. It also keeps the cover from moving around when the wheel is in motion. In addition, I also bought large rubber washers that I put on all the studs before I put the wheel cover back on. This really took care of any noise that I kept hearing. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something about this MH; nothing seems to go smooth or right. All the factory tools seem to be in the MH; not a one of them will actually remove the lug bolts to the wheel simulators. Huge lug wrench that came with it is too small. Going to Home Depot and get a socket that will fit.

Question: I tried to use the tool that is used to remove the simulator lug nuts (two per wheel, phony covers). All but two turn (they aren't supposed to come off but the other two don't budge. I thought that the lug bolt 'covers' turned and popped off to reveal the lug bolts to the wheel. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Richard,
First, the two tools that came with our Meridian and our former Adventurer worked fine so I can't explain why yours doesn't. Gremlins maybe.
I am not sure I understand your question but let me take a stab at it. If yours are like mine and suspect they are, the two simulator lug nuts and the cap that covers them are all one unit. Once you take those off, you will see the actual lug nut that holds on the wheel. The cover does not come off the nut! The newer models like ours are designed this way. Some earlier simulators had a deal where the stainless cap cover popped off revealing the actual lug nut. That is not the case here. Your idea about buying a socket will work just fine. The two that won't turn are probably just on very tight. I wish I could remember the size you need. Feel free to PM if you need any help.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fun time:
Richard,
First, the two tools that came with our Meridian and our former Adventurer worked fine so I can't explain why yours doesn't. Gremlins maybe.

I am not sure I understand your question but let me take a stab at it. If yours are like mine and suspect they are, the two simulator lug nuts and the cap that covers them are all one unit. Once you take those off, you will see the actual lug nut that holds on the wheel. The cover does not come off the nut! The newer models like ours are designed this way. Some earlier simulators had a deal where the stainless cap cover popped off revealing the actual lug nut. That is not the case here. Your idea about buying a socket will work just fine. The two that won't turn are probably just on very tight. I wish I could remember the size you need. Feel free to PM if you need any help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fun Time;

Thanks for the reply. I had a Flair on a Ford chassis that had simulators so I thought I was familar with the process of taking them off. I simply removed two specific lug-bolt covers that then had nuts on the end of the actual lug bolts; in other words, it was a lug bolt with a lug nut on the end that had additional threads extending the overall length of the lug bolt but allowed the simultor to be held in place. This was all removed with the same factory provided lug wrench.

My local Workhorse repair shop called me today and told me that I needed a 1 1/2 socket, which I went and purchased. He also told me that each simultor has not two but four caps and lug nuts that must be removed before the simulator can be pulled off. Since I ran out of time at the MH storage facility, I can't this until tomorrow. I do know that I had already checked the front and rear lug nut covers and only two per wheel turned, indicating that they could be removed. Do they simply pull straight off, or do they rotate to a certain point and then pull off? None of them seemed to be marked like my last ones. Seems strange to me that the simulator lug nuts are much larger then the wheel lug nuts and requires two tools in the event of a flat...

Looking at the picture below, you can see two lug nuts... do they look like yours? And does your rear wheel have two or four lug nuts that must be removed to take off the simulator?

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Richard,
Yes, the covers look just like mine except it would appear, as mentioned in your earlier post, someone must have man-handled those two on the rear as the covers are detached from the bolt shown in the picture. On my simulators, that nut you see in your picture is fastened to the stainless cover and in my case, I simple use the 1 1/2 lug wrench to loosen them. The nut and the cover are all one. I only have two on each simulator cover. I wish I had four as this would lessen the movement and rattle. Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #8

Richard,
Yes, the covers look just like mine except it would appear, as mentioned in your earlier post, someone must have man-handled those two on the rear as the covers are detached from the bolt shown in the picture. On my simulators, that nut you see in your picture is fastened to the stainless cover and in my case, I simple use the 1 1/2 lug wrench to loosen them. The nut and the cover are all one. I only have two on each simulator cover. I wish I had four as this would lessen the movement and rattle. Hope that helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fun Time;

Thanks for the reply; the local Workhorse shop just worked on it and had to order four new lug bolt covers due to being damaged. I took off the simulator lug nuts and noticed that there was a groove in the middle, almost like it was a two-piece nut. Based on your post, I take it that the nut should be mounted within the simulator but I guess the shop had somehow separated the two, so now the lug nuts are separated from the simulator. Workhorse also told me that there were four bolts per wheel that hold the simulator in place, but that doesn't sound like that's the case. I did take the nuts completely off the studs but the simulator didn't seem to want to come off the wheel. Maybe I'll need to pry it off... the two rear simulators do seem to be roughed up after this last repair, so I'm thinking of replacing all four.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like your making progress. You have to work with them a little to get them off. Just wiggle them back and forth and they should come right off. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #10

Sounds like your making progress. You have to work with them a little to get them off. Just wiggle them back and forth and they should come right off. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Fun Time;

I've looked at the wheel and I think that the simulator is hung up on the wheel stud threads... I'm trying to find new simulators but I'm not sure of the steel wheel brand. I've posted the question in a new thread... need to know if I have 'Accuride' wheels.

Thanks for your help...