Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Regarding Location of Spare Tire

Hi - I am hoping that I can get an answer in this forum. We are the 3rd owners of a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32v. The spare is currently located in the largest side compartment (taking up a ton of room). It doesn't look like it belongs there. It is at an odd angle and looks like it was shoved in there. We hoped to make room in the compartment and have a bracket made to put the spare under the MH. Okay, now for the question. Does anyone out there that owns this model know if the spare was originally underneath? Winnebago said that it was "probably underneath". Another professional said there did not appear to be any sign of it originally being under the MH and in his opinion there wasn't enough room. It all seems inconclusive. The prior owner said that the spare was in the side compartment when he bought it. I posted this question in another forum and received a great picture of the a spare under the MH, but it was a different model. So I am wondering...any owners of 2002 Suncruiser 32V out there?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

The 32' version had the spare in the side compartment. The gas tank takes up too much room for it to fit between the frame rails like it does on the longer models
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Applevally2,
The problem with storing a spare tire and wheel has plagued many-an-rv folk. Our recently sold Bounder 34V, had it under the rear. While a neat and tidy place to keep such a monstrous donut, it was a serious pain in the a... to get it out when you needed it, and, put it back in there when that time came. I know, because I had to change a flat twice on it.

Now, there's alternate ways of keeping these things around and not get in the way. One, done by a member of another forum and a good friend, set up and welded a bracket that holds it just above the trailer hitch/receiver. It's bascially an extension and, you still have the full use of the receiver for towing. It's a simple system and, a decent welder can fab one up for you in most likely one day. At least the one he designed would be that easy.

Now, this all presupposes that, there is no obstructions or issues back there that would keep the spare from being mounted there. And, there's a few places around that sell covers for it so, it won't be out in the elements. If you'd like, I maybe can get the drawings for you so you can evaluate the design to see if like it or not. It certainly provides for clearing your compartment and, you don't have to be Arnold Schwarzenegger to get it out from under the coach and put it back. Just an idea here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The alernative is a hitch mounted spare tire holder.. The problem with those is when you expose the spare to sunlight it very quickly goes bad.. Under the rig it's protected from the sun (like the spare in the trunk of your car) and thus lives longer.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

On my previous 32' Winnebago Brave, it was mounted in a square cage between the rear axle and bumper. Was a real pain to get the tire out and back. Had to have a tire changed once, the service tech had a heck of a time dropping it and had to use a bottle jack to get it back up.

Maybe someone with a similar model can take a picture.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Much debate on carrying a spare, most do not - the 08 and my 12 do not even come with them, negatives are, takes up room and are heavy to haul around.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Applevally2,
Well, as you've not received the answer you're looking for, in terms of same model carrying a spare, and unless you find that you can mount it underneath, which I surely don't recommend because of experience, I'd surely go for mounting it on the trailer hitch/receiver. But, like stated, the design would allow for the continued use of the hitch for towing. It's a very simple design. And, if you or your DW has any sewing experience what so ever, it's easy to make a weather resistant cover for it. If you or she doesn't, there's RV supply stores that will have have them.
Scott
Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yours should have had the spare underneath, in the back.

You can kind of see what should have been there in the parts catalog for your motorhome, page 50.

02 32V parts

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne
Yours should have had the spare underneath, in the back.

You can kind of see what should have been there in the parts catalog for your motorhome, page 50.

02 32V parts
You are right! I found someone selling the exact same MH - same year/same length on EBAY. This was the original owner, so I finally got my question answered! He said the spare was mounted underneath toward the back. I think it's funny that a direct call to Winnebago gave me the wrong answer. I guess the only mystery left is why the heck the original owner stuck the spare in the side compartment in the first place! That one I'll never know...
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Applevalley,
Well Sir, you've got your answer. Now, I'm just guessing here but, I'd say the original owner might have had a flat, had to change it and, had to get that spare out from under the coach, maybe on a freeways edge or some other dangerous roadside and decided that he'd never want to have to get under that coach again and just placed the spare in a side compartment. Just a guess.

My Bounder had it in the same place. That spare, even though it was 19.5" rim, not like the 22.5" ones I have now, was still around 100 + lbs. It was a horrible pain in the a.. to take out of that cradle it was in and, then put the flat one back in there. Then, get a new tire, and take the spare off and put it back under the coach. So, just some thoughts here.

My question is, you said you had another professional take a look at your rig and he said there appeared that it was never under there. If it was, then there should be some evidence of where it was bolted up to the frame etc. Is there no evidence?
Scott