Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question about Parking Brake and Headlights

We have a 2004 Brave with the Workhorse W-20 chassis. When trying to locate a ghost in our leveling jacks, I noticed that the daytime (always on) headlights go out when the parking brake is applied. The green headlight indicator on the dash goes out as well. I'm assuming that this is normal or is our system behaving oddly? Thanks in advance.

Jack
Old 07-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I think they go out when you shift to PARK.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My daytime headlights stay on when in "park" but they go out when I press the emergency brake. I'm trying to see how the HWH system detects whether or not the brake is on or off. There's a small plunger switch attached to the brake pedal but I'm not sure whether or not this switch is also used to shut off the daytime headlights or not. Thanks.

Jack
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Many vehicles do that. I had a 90 Ford F 150 that did the same thing. Press on the E- brake and the daytime lights would go off. So I think yours is normal.
Pat
Old 07-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It makes some sense as you normally wouldn't need your headlights when parking. Thank you all.

Jack
Old 07-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well, if the parking brake is on you should not be driving.. Thus you do not need driving lights. So the good folks at GM who designed the DRL controller, programmed it so when the parking bake goes on the lights go off.. Kind of smart of them don't you think?

It is working as designed.. A very good design it is too.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I suspect that many of the smart features found in our motorhomes remain hidden for years until some problem brings them to light (no pun intended). I still can't figure out how the leveling system (HWH) detects the position of the parking brake.

Jack
Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
I suspect that many of the smart features found in our motorhomes remain hidden for years until some problem brings them to light (no pun intended). I still can't figure out how the leveling system (HWH) detects the position of the parking brake.

Jack
Well.. I have power gear jacks and a Workhorse W-serries. I don't know if it's the same on yours but I know how they do it on mine.

If you crawl under the dash you will see the foot operated parking brake, and on the bracket, near the top, is a switch with TWO wires hooked to it.

one tells the computer you have applied the parking brakes, Light up the dash indictor, sound the buzzer if needed, turn OFF the DRL's and otherwise know we are parked. The other is for the jacks.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'll attempt to turn myself into a human pretzel and check out the area under the dash tomorrow. That may be the source of the problem. In summary, it takes about ten attempts (at pressing in the emergency brake) before the jack's control pad works. HWH jacks (like most) won't work until the emergency brake is on. However, it's getting harder than ever to fulfill this initial requirement since something is interfering with the system's ability to detect the position of the emergency brake. Thanks again.

Jack
Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'll attempt to turn myself into a human pretzel and check out the area under the dash tomorrow. That may be the source of the problem. In summary, it takes about ten attempts (at pressing in the emergency brake) before the jack's control pad works. HWH jacks (like most) won't work until the emergency brake is on. However, it's getting harder than ever to fulfill this initial requirement since something is interfering with the system's ability to detect the position of the emergency brake. Thanks again.

Jack
I had the same issue and found that some wires in a loom were interfering with the switch. I moved it out of the way and all has been fine since.

You do have be a pretzel to get up under there. Nowadays to save my 71 year old arthritic body, I remove the console on the doghouse and that makes it much easier.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Jack
my moho has the foot operated parking brake and has a flimsy white switch with 2 wires going to it located on the forward ib end of the parking brake mechanism under the dash.
i found that releasing the pb with a bang was ''disturbing'' this poor switch and it would not work sometimes. this switch is used by the hwh system and turns the pb light on on my dash.
my solution is to have my foot on the brake pedal and do a ''soft'' release. i have not had any more problems.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I've heard about the gentle parking brake release technique before but haven't had much luck with either the soft or tough love approach. Verbal abuse has also failed.

I plan to contort myself later this week. Assuming that I can extract myself from the cave, I'll let you know what I find. I can relate to your arthritic condition. My entire spine was fused a number of years ago so I have to find creative ways to access (and get out of) tight spots.

If we weren't full-timers and if money wasn't an issue, I'd bring it in to a shop and let someone else deal with the problem. But as many of us know, a person could go broke (or get old) if they relied on an RV service shop to take care of every little issue.

Thanks again.

Jack

Tags
brake