Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #21
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Nobody is talking about the second part of your question. A compressor for "toys", depending on the toys, does not need to be and shouldn't be a high pressure, low volume compressor. Inflatables require, and should use, a low pressure, high volume type inflator. Naturally, inflating tires on bicycles, ATVs and motorcycles will require the same type of compressor as your RV tires and air bag suspension spring assists.

I chose to use a 120 volt model as I have a 2kW inverter, plenty of solar and 300ah of lithium battery. If you are not well-backed for 120 volt power, I would slightly more recommend going the DC power route, eliminating the 10-12% loss of power through the inverter. Either should work, providing your inverter will supply enough power to the compressor.

You should note that my 3 gallon Craftsman 120 volt compressor will not run on my 2kW inverter. I assume (not proven) that the surge current is too high for it. But my little compact compressor works just fine, just a little slow on filling the dualies.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #22
WinnieAdven38

Some good suggestions here. I have been full timing with a 120v small pancake air compressor - which I love - as it is able to keep my 22.5" Class A tires inflated to as much as 100psi - no problem. I either plug it into a RV park site receptacle, or more often, run it off my 1500w inverter. Also used for bike tires and occasional blow up float tubes.

When looking into compressors several years ago came across the Viar models - but rejected those (and many similar styles) for my use as they were fairly expensive and required a long run of a 12v extension cord - which I did not have. But the biggest reasons I rejected that style is that they are all high pressure, low volume pumps. Meaning that they have to run forever to inflate beach toys and large RV tires which might be seriously deflated. (Which happened to me when I had a loose valve stem on an inner rear dually.)

In looking now there are A LOT more options. Some very good small pancake air compressors available - like Dewalt - but less expensive ones from Harbor Freight. But the newer ones which I like the best are the Ryobi battery powered ones (Home Depot) or the more expensive one from Milwaukee- which just came out. (I really like Milwaukee tools - though pricey).
If I were to buy another today I would opt for the Ryobi - $99 w/battery at Home Depot. Goes to 120psi and has a 1 gallon tank. I really like the battery option because it means no extension cords! Link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #23
Van
Winnebago Camper

I recommend one that runs on 120 volts. The 12 volt ones , especially the cigarette lighter socket ones are usually junk. Check the reviews online.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #24
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
I recommend one that runs on 120 volts. The 12 volt ones , especially the cigarette lighter socket ones are usually junk. Check the reviews online.
IMHO, I think that’s too broad of a statement, regarding 12v compressors. While one can always find a cheap woefully inadequate 12v compressor, we’ve had both the VAIR and ARB, and they do everything we need to adjust tire pressure.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

For years I used my Coleman garage compressor but even it didn't have enough pressure to maintain 110 psi in my class a 22.5 in tires Cut in on compressor is 85 and cutout 110. Took for ever to get tire pressure to 110 as your constantly drain tank down to have compressor to cut in and even with 11 gal tank pressure would drop to quickly.

Now have a new compressor a Dewalt Heavy Duty 200 PSI portable weighing 36 lbs 120 volt where the cut in is 160 and regulated out put is 150 there is no problem with adequate air. Not cheap but quiet 71 decibels, compact, with a 2.5 gal tank. A perfect unit for larger RV use.
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

For those of you who have air brakes you can use the fitting already installed in your air supply. I have unlimited source of 130 psi air anytime the engine is running. Cost $5 plus hose.

(Itasca Horizon DP)
Flagstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor