Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Brave with a Workhorse chassie. this is my problem, When I put the tranny into park, I blow the fuse to my park brake. I can install a new fuse and put in gear and drive with no problem. As soon as I put in in park and the park brake activates, I blow a fuse and the rig will not move until I install a new fuse. If I pull the park brake while in gear, I also blow the fuse. Can't move. The pump seems to be working fine when I install a new fuse. I am thinking it could be the Park/Rev.. relay that I was told is on the driver side of motor but cannot find it. Any suggestion??

Thanks!!!
keithkillinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Brave with a Workhorse chassie. this is my problem, When I put the tranny into park, I blow the fuse to my park brake. I can install a new fuse and put in gear and drive with no problem. As soon as I put in in park and the park brake activates, I blow a fuse and the rig will not move until I install a new fuse. If I pull the park brake while in gear, I also blow the fuse. Can't move. The pump seems to be working fine when I install a new fuse. I am thinking it could be the Park/Rev.. relay that I was told is on the driver side of motor but cannot find it. Any suggestion??

Thanks!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

I'm shortcutting this topic to the Workhorse chassis forum where you might have a better chance of getting an answer.

By the way, welcome to the forum.com. We're glad to have you join us.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rusty
Old 07-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Both Keith from Redlands and Mike from Brazels might be able to assist you in looking at one particular component or another. I don't know if they will be with us for the balance of the 4th of July holiday week but we'll see.

It definitely sounds like a dead short to me when you're activating your brake. Given the process is similar in all occurrences there should be a short list of components to rule out.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
iRV2 Sponsor

Keith,

Your system has a pump and a activation cylinder. The pump is usually up front under the engine access hatch and the cylinder is on the passenger side frame rail near the back of the transmission.

It is at this cylinder where we usually find a defective pressure switch causing the blown fuse. A leak is also a sign of a defective switch.

This switch is located at the line going to the cylinder and should
be grey in color.

Call me if you need addional info.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redlands Truck and RV: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If this is a J71 APB and what Keith gave you does not fix the problem I would suggest that you go over to RV.Net and send a PM to "oldusedbear". He and some other guys have been pretty good at fixing lots of J71 problems.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I see two possible problems And I too suggest professional help, Mike being a good one for help. (Though we have never met, I have chatted with him and find him good, His prices are honest too)

Possiblity one is a wire which has chaffed and is now in contact with metal, When the rig settles down the connection "Breaks" and the fuse holds but when you move,, , it shorts.

Possibility 2 is ... Wrong fuse

Oh, 3, same as 1 but internal to whatever the wire goes to.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Wow, a new autopark problem I had'nt heard about before.
I thought it took 12 volts to release the parking brake and if no voltage was present , the brake locked up. That makes sense , since he can't release the parking brake but I don't understand why all is well until he applies the parking brake, which means he cut the power to it.

keithkillinger , all three of these things apply the parking brake; pulling the yellow knob, putting gear shift into park position or just turning the ignition key off. Do all 3 of these ways, blow the fuse?
Sounds like you may be in danger of it blowing the fuse at any time and sticking you right where you're at.

Redlands Truck and RV , is that pressure switch something that would be a good idea to carry a spare? Are they expensive and do you sell and ship them? Is it something , many owners could do them selves?
Thanks for your answer in advance.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

After talking to Keith at Redlands and having him tell me what to look for, I am very confident in his advise. I ordered the part from him and am sure it will solve the problem. I highly reccomments Redlands. VERY NICE people. They will get all my business!!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #12
iRV2 Sponsor

Redlands Truck and RV , is that pressure switch something that would be a good idea to carry a spare? Are they expensive and do you sell and ship them? Is it something , many owners could do them selves?
Thanks for your answer in advance.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be a good idea to carry one of each. GM part # for the switch on the pump is 15961566, should be available at your local dealer. It will have a green housing.

The switch at the cylinder is WCC only #W8001071. Should be around $40 plus shipping. It's housing is grey.

Both are o ring sealed and easily removed/installed in the field with hand tools.

Any questions please feel free to call.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote