Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
gMw
Winnebago Owner

My ˜garage' compressor doesn't provide enough air pressure to meet the needs of our Journey's tires. The manual indicates we can utilize the onboard compressor to fill the tires. Although the dash gauges seems to indicate there's enough air pressure, it seemed I could only bring one tire up to pressure, depending on how low the tire was, the rest of the tires didn't seem to come up to pressure.

I put an air pressure gauge at the end of the airline, right at the tire. What I discovered was our onboard compressor builds up to approx 120lbs of pressure, and then cuts off, more than enough to fill the tires. However, the compressor stays off ˜til the pressure drops a bit below 100 lbs, than cycles back on to build up to 120 lbs.

Our tire pressure need to be 105 lbs, when attempting fill the tires, the air pressure in the tanks would eventually equalize with the air pressure in the tire(s), at that point the compressor wouldn't cycle back on, ˜cause the pressure was above the lower limit, and it seemed I couldn't fill the rest of the tires. With the inline gauge, I can tell when the air pressure has equalized, then I simply bleed off air, ˜til the compressor kicked in and builds the air pressure back up to 120 lbs, and then I can continue filling the tires....
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
gMw
Winnebago Owner

My ˜garage' compressor doesn't provide enough air pressure to meet the needs of our Journey's tires. The manual indicates we can utilize the onboard compressor to fill the tires. Although the dash gauges seems to indicate there's enough air pressure, it seemed I could only bring one tire up to pressure, depending on how low the tire was, the rest of the tires didn't seem to come up to pressure.

I put an air pressure gauge at the end of the airline, right at the tire. What I discovered was our onboard compressor builds up to approx 120lbs of pressure, and then cuts off, more than enough to fill the tires. However, the compressor stays off ˜til the pressure drops a bit below 100 lbs, than cycles back on to build up to 120 lbs.

Our tire pressure need to be 105 lbs, when attempting fill the tires, the air pressure in the tanks would eventually equalize with the air pressure in the tire(s), at that point the compressor wouldn't cycle back on, ˜cause the pressure was above the lower limit, and it seemed I couldn't fill the rest of the tires. With the inline gauge, I can tell when the air pressure has equalized, then I simply bleed off air, ˜til the compressor kicked in and builds the air pressure back up to 120 lbs, and then I can continue filling the tires....
Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

George:

I had a nice portable compressor left over from when we had our gasser so I still use it for the Journey. The on board compressor will do it as you've indicated but I can air them up fairly quickly with the portable.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

George and Laraine,

I used our onboard compressor and had the same issues and developed the same process you are using. I found that the only way to hit pressures above 100# was to release air out of the tire chuck until the air compressor kicked in. When the air compressor started up, I would then start refilling the tire. Worked pretty well for me, but I can hear my compressor kick in over the sound of the diesel.

Eventually I found this process was ok for emergencies, but I got tired of it. I opted for a nice 150# 2gallon portable from sears. Nice, compact, and I can use it anywhere I have 110v.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think I would check with Winnie - there may be an adjustment that can be made. My 06 Ellipse does not have that problem. I use the on board compressor to air up the tires all the time. Then again, it just might be the way mine is set. I'd check with Winnebago.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
gMw
Winnebago Owner

I'm sure at some point I'll end up opt'ing for a 150# 2gallon portable like some of you did..

Fortunately, I don't have to add air very often, so filling from the onboard compressor works okay for now, once I figured out how the compressor cycles.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We use one of these from RV Powertank , I have the 15 pound tank. It is quiet, I don't need to start the engine to use it. I can take it along in our 4x4 incase I need to lower and refill tire pressures for beach use.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My 07 Journey has the air accessory at the front of the coach, which I have successfully used to air up my tires. Has an air pressure gauge which will register over 120psi. Had no problems airing up my tires to 95psi.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

George ...

What kinds of loading to you have in your rig that requires inflation to 105# ...

My journey is a couple of years newer but the tire inflation table for all of my tires is under 100# ... I weigh it at least once a year and adjust the inflation (as we load a few more thing on each year) ... so my on board compressor works great
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
gMw
Winnebago Owner

SkiGramp,

I'm simply going by Winnebago's chart, which specifies 105# front, 100# rear tire presure.

Loading wise, I've never taken it to scales, but expect I'm not even close to maxing it out, weight wise.

Our unboard compressor works fine, as long as I manage it...