Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Ok guys, there is probably a good reason for this that I just can't think of

Why do the tire valves on my rear outside Duals extend 2" towards the INSIDE of the wheel? The inside dual has an extender that makes it easy to check and fill the tire with a standard tire chuck. But to fill the outside tire I need a dual foot chuck. It's not a huge deal, am I just missing the point

Could it be because you could rotate the tires and need to flip the outside tire around to put it on the inside

Right, like that's going to happen. Put that shiny Alcoa on the inside and the steel wheel on the outside

And while I am at it, why does Winnebago use a slightly smaller air chuck connector on the ends of their supplied air hose that won't fit any of my standard air nipple fittings??

I'm open for suggestions...

Thanks, Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Ok guys, there is probably a good reason for this that I just can't think of

Why do the tire valves on my rear outside Duals extend 2" towards the INSIDE of the wheel? The inside dual has an extender that makes it easy to check and fill the tire with a standard tire chuck. But to fill the outside tire I need a dual foot chuck. It's not a huge deal, am I just missing the point

Could it be because you could rotate the tires and need to flip the outside tire around to put it on the inside

Right, like that's going to happen. Put that shiny Alcoa on the inside and the steel wheel on the outside

And while I am at it, why does Winnebago use a slightly smaller air chuck connector on the ends of their supplied air hose that won't fit any of my standard air nipple fittings??

I'm open for suggestions...

Thanks, Sarge

Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

sarge, have wondered the same thing. i am anxious to see some answers!!
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">tire valves on my rear outside Duals extend 2" towards the INSIDE of the wheel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarge,

I have been told by Michelin that this is done for safety reasons. Incase something large gets trapped inside the rim while driving it could break of the valve stem waesier with it protruding outward than inward. This is the story.

I have had mine turn out in order to be to fit the sensors for the Pressure Pro monitor system and the stems and sensors are still there. On top of that as you mentioned it is now easier to fill the tire with air.

I had a Michelin dealer do the rortation of the valve stem. It did not even require dismounting the tire from the rim. They deflated the tire reached inside with a wrench, loosend than turned the valve, retightend the nut on the valve stem and reinflated the tire.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I believe it's a matter of economics. On our coach the valve stems on all the wheels are the same length and point in the same direction. That way the manufacturer needs only 1 style of valve stem and 1 method of installing them.

The inner duals and the front wheels are mounted with the opposite side of the rim facing out. On those wheels the valve stems face outward. The stems are still inside the outer plane of the wheel so they are protected incase you rub a curb or hit a pothole.

If you use different stems on the tires you're pretty much locking them into specific locations on the coach. You can't take an inner dual with a long stem facing outward and put it on the outer dual position. When you turn the rim around it would be nearly impossible to reach the stem, and it might interfere with the wheel hub or brake caliper

We're due for new tires next year. At that time I'll have new stems installed that don't need extenders and will be pointed in the optimal direction for checking the air pressure. I'll leave an original style stem on the spare so it can be used in any position should the need arise.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hmmm....

My inner duals have long metal valve stems that reach through the wheels and make them easy to check.

My outer duals have long metal valve stems that point toward the outside of the wheels. I suspect if they were rotated inward, they would extend through the wheels just like those on the inside duals. They are probably the same long valve stem on both wheels, just pointed different directions.

The chuck connector on the air hose fits all my standard connectors.

I suspect it has more to do with chassis mfg and setup that it does with Winnebago "standards." I have a Spartan chassis.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

AFChap: My point exactly. The valve stems on the inner and outer duals are pointing in opposite directions. You can't swap the inner and outer tires without deflating them, removing the valve stems, and turning them around.

The inner wheels can be swaped with the fronts, but the only place the outer duals will fit is in their current position or in the outer position on the opposite side.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about too. The location of the valve on the outter dual would still place the stem several inches from the outside of the wheel even if it was pointed outward. I think having them turned and pointed outward is a good idea. Now I just have to find someone willing to do it. It won't be Freightliner though. With their prices (135 an hour) it would cost a fortune....

Old 09-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

SargeW,
Unless you have something different than mine, I turned my outer valve stems by simply loosening the nut and changing the direction of the stems. Did it so I could put my pressure pro transmitters on. I expected to lose some air but didn't. Been running them at about parallel to the rim pointing back from the direction of rotation. They have been that way for six months now. Is there something I'm missing?
They do look kind of cool though.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

No Bill, I'm sure that they are the same. I just assumed that there was another nut on the inside that had to be loosend as well.......

Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I purchased two 135 degree angled metal extensions for the inside wheels. Works fine. I never could get the hang of pulling out against the outer stem with the gage or the filler. It would leak if not just perfectly fitted and I sometimes lost more air than I put in.
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote