Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New tires-recommendations

I have seen some scary photos of "china-bomb" tires, which are apparently the ones that come with the trailer. I would like to upgrade the tires and I have read that Goodyear Endurance tires are a good choice. However, I want to make sure I have the right size and model for a single-axle 17' micro minnie. Can someone tell me what Winnebago recommends for upgrades?
Shenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Kal Tire here in Canada recommends Carlisle. Seems that they have been decent. FYI most tires are made in China these days or who knows where because the brand names are just that, they have all but been bought out. They could be manufactured just about anywhere where the labor is cheapest these days.

The number one reason for tire bombs is overloading regardless of brand. Our Winnie Drop 1780 came with load range c so the tires are prone to problems if the pressure drops at all.

I changed over to Carlisle load range D 14s and the amount of tire wander dropped significantly. Mind you the tires were the original Chinese made "Trailer King" ones that the factory installed and most likely were getting a little weak from taking the trailer down gravel roads for several seasons.

If the trailer has load range C's on it then I strongly recommend going up to D because a single axle of load range C tops out at the load limit and there will be is no safety margin on a single axle trailer.

LRC 205 75r 14s are rated at 1760lbs, LRD 205 75r by 14 are rated at 2040lbs https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...dial-trail-hd/
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Red face sorry about the red herring reply

Sorry, I thought that the model had a single axle! Seems that the so called micro minnie ain't so minnie after all. Looking it up the tires are odd ball for a trailer and Winnebago does not specify ST rated tires on their web site which is really weird. They call for 235 75R by 15 which is strange and not a common size of trailer tire at all.

Looks like the micro minnie is a really just another fat cat 7 wide 3000 lb plus monster house on wheels that would be a royal PITA to haul without side mirrors a stabiliser hitch and a v8 or at least a new hopped up Dodge small 6 cylinder eco diesel pickup: at least in IMO.

Our Winnie drop pulls ok with a 4.2 litre GM envoy that is rated to pull up to 4500 lbs but in practice is best suited for no more than 3300 including us fat cats and all our gear at best.

I am thinking of restoring a good old 300 cu in gm six on a early 70's chev or gm pickup as a second vehicle just for pulling the trailer. They had really good grunt at low rpm compared to today's engines and could get just a good mileage if driven sensibly and well maintained with simple old school rear wheel drive setup.

Best of luck finding the right tires for your rig.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires