Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Tires

We just had new tires put on our 2006 Vectra but the dealer was unable to balance the front tires on his machine because he did not have the right size tool for the large center hole on the Vectra wheels.

Without having to drive a long distance to have the tires machine balanced, we tried the bead balance option. Once the beads were added, we drove the recommended 100 miles to put the beads to work. It appears that the beads did not work and we still have the vibration/shimmy. In researching, beads appeared to be an acceptable option. Would like some feedback from others that have gone the bead route and does it make a difference to have the rear wheels balanced as well. Also, is it best to have the front alignment done at this time as well?

Appreciate any and all comments!
yworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have used both Equal (powder) and beads. We have never had a problem with balance or shimmy. We started out with Equal because our dealer said he could not spin balance ours either. He said if we would allow him to install Equal and were not happy he would remove it and give us back our money. We were very happy and we are on our third motor home now with this system. Remember powder or beads will not solve an out of round problem. You can check for out of round by jacking up a front wheel and placing a stationary object in front of the tire and spinning it. I use an upside down 5 gal pail and a short 2X4 on the pail.

Good luck and please post back with the solution to your problem;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I would find a place that can spin balance the tires. And yes, rear wheels should be balanced.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the recommendations.... Had all tires computer balanced and the Vectra now rides like a dream again.... Thanks to all that responded to my request!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Tire balance

Last year I put 2 new tires on the steering axle and they added a solution for balance and to get better life of the tire. In hot or cold weather you had to start out very slow mph,the colder the day the further you had to drive slow before the tires would smooth out.

This year I put on 4 more tires and had the solution removed, the dealer also did a spin balance. I'm really happy now. From my experience I would not recommend adding solution inside the tire.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had Dynabeads added to a new set of 19" tires a couple years ago, and their performance has been flawless!!

But if you happen have an out-of-round tire, all the beads in the world won't help!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniet View Post
Last year I put 2 new tires on the steering axle and they added a solution for balance and to get better life of the tire. In hot or cold weather you had to start out very slow mph,the colder the day the further you had to drive slow before the tires would smooth out.

This year I put on 4 more tires and had the solution removed, the dealer also did a spin balance. I'm really happy now. From my experience I would not recommend adding solution inside the tire.
Thanks for the input. I agree that spin balance is the best process.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
I had Dynabeads added to a new set of 19" tires a couple years ago, and their performance has been flawless!!

But if you happen have an out-of-round tire, all the beads in the world won't help!
Thanks for the response...
Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If beads were any good all tire manufacters would recomend them, in fact they do not recomend them. You might as well use golf balls. Spin balance only.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
If beads were any good all tire manufacters would recomend them, in fact they do not recomend them. You might as well use golf balls. Spin balance only.
They didn't work for me and spin did the fix.

Thanks