Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smile Need to Decide Tire Pressure Driving 34H Home 1st Time

I have finally found my coach, a 2005 Winnebago Journey 34H w/350 Cat.

I pick it up Saturday and I must drive it home about 500 miles. I want to make sure the very new looking 1 year old date coded Michelin 255/80R22.5 XRV]s are properly inflated. I won't be able to get it weighed until after I get her home. So, what do you think I should start out with for a safe pressure?

I bought a TPMS to install before departure.

Has anyone with a 05' 34H Cat done an empty axle/corner weight to give me a starting point.

I would be in for a rough ride if I just went with 110 all around.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left-side.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	88993  
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you have the same size and weight rating as the original tires and want to be safe then run what the weight placard on the MH's wall says. The should be what the rig is supposed to have when fully loaded.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have the same tires and almost the same rig. 90 rear and 100 front is what ours figures out to when loaded to GVWR. This is according to the Escapees Boot Camp where they weight each corner. Always make sure the pressure is the same on an axle, all 4 rear the same and both front the same. front can be different than the back. Since it sounds like yours isn't loaded yet you could go lower but use the 90 rear and 100 front if you're not sure since that is the pressure for 32,000 pounds (my GVWR). Being over inflated won't hurt as long as you don't exceed the wheel or tire max which is on the tire and should be on the wheel. TPMS is great, we have one too. the tires are always a tad different from side to side, thats ok. sun shine will raise the sunny tires. Good luck
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post

I pick it up Saturday and I must drive it home about 500 miles. I want to make sure the very new looking 1 year old date coded Michelin 255/80R22.5 XRV]s are properly inflated. I won't be able to get it weighed until after I get her home. So, what do you think I should start out with for a safe pressure?

Has anyone with a 05' 34H Cat done an empty axle/corner weight to give me a starting point.

TIA
I agree with Mr D, above. Run what the tire placard says. It should be on the wall below the dirver's window. Better yet, call Winnebago before you go to pick it up (in case some yahoo has peeled the sticker off).

lajuene is "straight on" also!

Good luck, have fun.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Mike,

as others have said, max listed pressure on the manufacture sticker may be bumpy but safe. Assuming you are talking about 500 miles from Monterey, you should be able to get it weighed before you get all the way home. Most groupings of truck stops will have a scale. If you are coming from Oregon they are pretty laid back about using the weigh stations (assuming there aren't millions of trucks there) -- best if hitting a "closed" weigh station since they leave the scales on! On the 80 you can for sure get weighed in Fernley, NV. From the south I'm not as familiar but I'd be willing to bet you can get it weighed in Las Vegas, Barstow, or Riverside/Indio.

Steve
Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

TIA
where did you get that coach??? if you don't mind me asking????

any more pics????

I would change the shocks those thing are horrible
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Since you are running empty, take max pressure as listed and subtract 10%. This will be more than enough air.
Somewhere on your coach there will be a sticker showing dry weight on the coach. Most of the time max pressure on tires is more than your coach needs at max gvwr.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW COACH!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:

TIA
TIA,
No one's going to die, including you or, your new tires if you run a bit less than what the data plate next to you in the drivers seat says. We've got an almost identical rig to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. We've ran the rig totally empty, fully loaded, EXTRA LOADED, and anywhere in between. And, I've experimented with tire pressures all over the place too. Again, no one died.

Safety is always a concern, no doubt about that but, those data plates are BASIC in application, based on what the MFG installs in the coach and, it's basic weight when it's about to leave the factory. All kinds of variables come into play after it leaves.

We've got the same exact size tires in the Michelin XRVs and since THEY are the ones that made the tires and THEY do all the testing, I go with what THEY have to say about the weight vs the load. As one early answer to your question stated 90 in the rear and 100 in the front, that's almost exactly what we've ran for years now.

I did run the pressures on the label for a very short while. Talk about rough. And, the coach wandered a bit more too. When I finally got smart and took the advice of many to check the tire chart by Michelin, it's no wonder I to almost straighten my teeth. Once I lowered them to the recommended pressure vs the load we had, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better and, no wandering AT ALL!

Tire pressure charts are put out by all the manufacturers. People get LAZY and refuse to weigh their rigs when it's so incredibly simple. Drive to a scale, AND WEIGH THEM, PERIOD! Scales are all over the place. Even moving and Van companies have them. Refuse disposal sites have them and believe me, those are seriously accurate. Then, you can be guided by the tire manufacturers chart. But, in your case, you can't weigh it 'till you get home. Well, I'm not sure of your travel route but, in the 500 mile trip to get your new baby home, I'd bet it's quite possible you'll pass by a scale of some sort, not always, but, pretty much. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
where did you get that coach??? if you don't mind me asking????

any more pics????

I would change the shocks those thing are horrible
Tom Lindstrom Rv in Moorpark, Ca

Pics are still up on his website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	89033  
Old 03-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thank you everyone for your help. I will look at the plate which is there I saw it upon inspection and knew that was for max load.

I will shoot for 90 rear and 100 front.

While I could possibly hit the scales on the way home, I would not change pressure on hot tires anyway.

On my way in a few minutes.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Tom Lindstrom Rv in Moorpark, Ca

Pics are still up on his website
wow what a score...love the floor and the leather...

ours had the fuzzy seats...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
TIA,
No one's going to die, including you or, your new tires if you run a bit less than what the data plate next to you in the drivers seat says. We've got an almost identical rig to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. We've ran the rig totally empty, fully loaded, EXTRA LOADED, and anywhere in between. And, I've experimented with tire pressures all over the place too. Again, no one died.

Safety is always a concern, no doubt about that but, those data plates are BASIC in application, based on what the MFG installs in the coach and, it's basic weight when it's about to leave the factory. All kinds of variables come into play after it leaves.

We've got the same exact size tires in the Michelin XRVs and since THEY are the ones that made the tires and THEY do all the testing, I go with what THEY have to say about the weight vs the load. As one early answer to your question stated 90 in the rear and 100 in the front, that's almost exactly what we've ran for years now.

I did run the pressures on the label for a very short while. Talk about rough. And, the coach wandered a bit more too. When I finally got smart and took the advice of many to check the tire chart by Michelin, it's no wonder I to almost straighten my teeth. Once I lowered them to the recommended pressure vs the load we had, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better and, no wandering AT ALL!

Tire pressure charts are put out by all the manufacturers. People get LAZY and refuse to weigh their rigs when it's so incredibly simple. Drive to a scale, AND WEIGH THEM, PERIOD! Scales are all over the place. Even moving and Van companies have them. Refuse disposal sites have them and believe me, those are seriously accurate. Then, you can be guided by the tire manufacturers chart. But, in your case, you can't weigh it 'till you get home. Well, I'm not sure of your travel route but, in the 500 mile trip to get your new baby home, I'd bet it's quite possible you'll pass by a scale of some sort, not always, but, pretty much. Good luck.
Scott
ALL tire pressure charts reflect the minimum air pressure to safely support the corresponding load. Also, the RMA=Rubber Manufacturers Association, of which, Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone, etc are members; state on page 55 of this pdf,
"Inflation pressure recommendations may also be
determined based on the tire manufacturer's
specifications, which define the amount of inflation
pressure necessary to carry a given load. These
inflation pressures may differ from those found on
the vehicle tire placard or certification label.
However, never use inflation pressure lower than
specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification
label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation
pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on
the tire sidewall"
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I run 95 psi in the front and 90 psi in the rear tires on our 34H. When I replaced the original tires a year or so ago, replaced for age rather than the @65,000 miles on them, wear across the tread on all six tires was very consistent indicating even tire wear in our application - not over inflated or under inflated.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

btw, proper inflation can also be an excuse to buy an inexpensive IR thermometer (they are about 15 dollars). Even temps across the entire tire = good. Cool center = underinflated. Hot center = overinflated.

Do you need one? Of course not. But it's a fun toy for checking everything from the temp of air coming out of your a/c vents to how evenly cool your fridge is inside to how warm your dog's nose is.

Steve
Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
btw, proper inflation can also be an excuse to buy an inexpensive IR thermometer (they are about 15 dollars). Even temps across the entire tire = good. Cool center = underinflated. Hot center = overinflated.

Do you need one? Of course not. But it's a fun toy for checking everything from the temp of air coming out of your a/c vents to how evenly cool your fridge is inside to how warm your dog's nose is.

Steve
Steve... I've been using an IR gun every time I stop for the last 5 years or so and I don't know if I could agree with different temps across the tread of a tire.

I look for a difference of temps between tires, for example both rear duals should be similar although sun and engine exhaust can and do make a difference.

I'll specifically check across the tread on our next outing and see if i can duplicate what you are seeing.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Ray,
I cruised on over to that PDF and checked things out and found what you posted.

Inflation pressure recommendations may also be
determined based on the tire manufacturer's
specifications, which define the amount of inflation
pressure necessary to carry a given load. These
inflation pressures may differ from those found on
the vehicle tire placard or certification label.

However, never use inflation pressure lower than
specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification
label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation
pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on
the tire sidewall.

Now, I'm by far, not she sharpest tool in the shed but, I even showed this to my wife and asked her to read those two paragraphs and tell me what she thought. Her reaction to them was the same as mine, HUH?

One paragraph says it's ok to determine tire pressure according to the tire chart of the manufacture, FOR A GIVEN LOAD.

The other paragraph says NEVER RUN ANYTHING DIFFERENT THAN THE TIRE PLACARD....

Hmmmmmm. Based on my personal experience and how well things have worked by inflating them to the tire charts and, a few thousand other RVers that do the same procedure, I think I'll just keep using the tire charts as my references. I mean, I have a tire pressure monitoring system that, shows temps as well as the pressures consistently and, while in warmer weather, do rise some, a few degrees and, a few psi, nothing major is ever seen.

And, my tire wear, all across the tread patterns of all six tires, are flawless for well over 20,000 miles since we acquired the coach. I even carry one of those temp guns and have used it from time to time. It's never told me something I should be concerned about, even after a long run in 100 degree temps.
Scott

Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Fired up, I believe the key words are "Lower than" the placard info.

All Good, just reading and posting.

I am in the process of getting pricing for new tires, Again, Boy have the pricing gone way up since 2007, the last year for new Good Year G670's.

Now looking at the Michelins XRV's

Hope they are just as good, or better than the Good Years.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:

TIA
Most have already said it. Go with the sticker for now. The ride won't be that bad. To add weight fill your fresh water tank and put about 1/2 tank in the black & the grey. Most of us would make the 500 miles a 2 day trip. You should not fill the black & grey that quickly.

This is a great chance to scrub the wast water tanks. My method seems to work well. We use the cheap Walmart dishwasher power detergent and backing soda. Before you start your trip, put 2 coffee mugs of each product in a pan of hot water to dissolve and pour one pan down the drain and another down the hopper. Leave the solution in the tanks till you do a normal dump. As maintenance we use 1 mug of each product between dumps in the black and leave the gate open on the grey when parked.

Here you got advise on loading for your trip home and how to freshen up your tanks. Not a bad deal for the money.

Safe travels.

Rick Y
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Greets All,

Having trouble with this posting...
Sid and Judy new RVers Suncruising (2013 35P) in Tampa. Noticed that several in this forum have TPMS. Would welcome knowing which type (internal or external) and brand you use and recommend. Also would like to know your experiences and recommendation regarding valve stem extenders for the inside rear tires -- not a lot of fun checking those.

Sid
Sid Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Shafer View Post
Greets All,

Having trouble with this posting...
Sid and Judy new RVers Suncruising (2013 35P) in Tampa. Noticed that several in this forum have TPMS. Would welcome knowing which type (internal or external) and brand you use and recommend. Also would like to know your experiences and recommendation regarding valve stem extenders for the inside rear tires -- not a lot of fun checking those.

Sid
Hey Sid,
Welcome and, hope you enjoy your new world of RVing. As for a TPMS, well, there's a few brands on the market. I dilly-dallied around for quite some time before I made the decision. And, even that decision was almost in haste. We happened to be at the annual Quartzsite RV event, held in late January each year. I've passed by the "TST" (Truck Service Technology) booth several times, as I've done many times before.

Well, this time I stopped and, checked out their products. Many folks on here and, RV.net have spoken fairly highly of the TST systems. And, they have two primary systems. One has the sensors that, when the battery needs to be replaced, must be sent back the company for them to service. That I believe is the 510 system. The other system, the 507 system, has sensors that, you as the owner, can replace when needed. They are either the 2016 or, maybe the 2032 watch batteries. (might even be other numbers, my memory sucks)

But, in any case, my system is the 507. And, so far, we've had it in place now for just over a year. At the present time, based on the amount we've traveled and used that system, I have no complaints at all. The little LCD screen is just off to my left, stuck to the side window, close to the lowest part of the windshield. I can see and read the display from that distance and angle, just fine.

I only have the system covering the coach, all six tires. As the picture of all six tires rotates, blinking one at a time for about 5 seconds, the screen shows the pressure and temp of the tire that's blinking. Then, it moves on to the next one. And, it will continue to rotate all the way around, those six tires, continuing to display that info.

You, as the operator of that system, can set the "low" side parameters and, "High" side parameters. Once that system detects a tire that has reached either setting, an alarm will sound and, that tire will continue to blink.

I think I paid somewhere around $270, plus or minus, again, can't remember squat anymore. Now, at least on my system, the 507, those sensors come with "Anti-theft" collars on each sensor. The problem with those on my coach was/is, the collar is too large to fit in the openings of my wheels.

So, I removed the collars and everything is much better. Besides, I can't for the life of me, think WHO ON THIS PLANET, would waste time and get on their knees and, STEAL A SENSOR on a Tire pressure monitoring system???

Anyway, sorry to the OP here for side tracking your thread. Not intended but, somewhat related.
Scott

Tags
tire pressure