Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

You can use the program soonest you join. On the Michelin web site they have a listing of authorized dealers. Call those near you and ask if aware of the FMCA program in my case the dealer was very familiar. You then call Michelin and register the credit card you are going to use. Go to the dealer and get the install done. Dealer charges for install and balance and such. Michelin will charge directly for the tires at the FMCA pricing.

There is a paper on the FMCA web site about how to use the program. It's actually simpler than it sounds.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Tell me more about the FMCA, if you can. I've looked at their website and checked out their sample pricing which is outstanding and I'm considering joining. Since I have limited time, once I join, can I start using the Michelin tire benefit immediately? If so, there is a dealer within 40 miles of me but I'm not certain if the discount would apply there.

Thanks again, folks. All the replies are truly appreciated.

Scott
Here's an FMCA link to the program.

http://www.fmca.com/join-family-moto...nnections/3455

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
Look at this way, Michelins made it ten years, which is recommended life span with no issues. There a lot of tires out there, many good, many bad. You've got a tough decision, but I sure wouldn't count Michelins out.
I have always heard tires are tired at 6 years and in need of bed rest at 7, dead at 8.

YMMV

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Toyo makes excellent tires specific for RVs. I replaced our Michelins with Toyos, saved a bundle of money and have better ride quality than we had with the Michelins. But the ral consideration is what are you going to be happy with?
I'm with you! I opted for Toyo M154's last month. Mine are 295/75R22.5's though. All six out the door for $3250. Love the ride. Handled well all the way back from Phoenix to Canada.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Thanks again, guys. The input has proven to be invaluable.

Are the Toyo's folks are mentioning RV or Truck tires?

Scott
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

The Toyos are an all purpose tire I believe. The only companies I know of that make RV specific tires are Michelin and Continental.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

There seems to be as many opinions on tires as there are hairlines. And that's OK...

Some thoughts that seems to be missed frequently in these discussion are.....tire construction, warranty and distribution network. There is more to buying tires than money and a gathering of opinions....and that includes mine. I suggest that you go to the various tire manufacturers' websites and gather info on the above points....warranty in particular.

Example....3 years ago, I replaced our Michelin XRV tires with Michelin XZA3 tires which are approved for RV use by Michelin. Could not be happier. The things are wearing like steel and ride like a magic carpet. Now, they also came with a 7 year/700,000 mile/3-recap casing warranty. That's right.....7 year/700,00 miles. This is a serious tire with serious constuction and warranty behind it. How do the other tires you are considering compare? That is a question you need to consider, IMHO. I have no idea if Michelin makes that tire to fit your coach, but I think it says something about Michelin products in general. We and our loved ones depend on these things to stay round and to stay together as we motor down the highway...right? Too much focus on price and not enough on value/quality can be hazardous.

Re tire cracking, I am amazed at the number of RV's that sit at our storage facility for months at a time, many in open sunlight....with absolutely no tire protection whatsoever (tire covers for example). Still others sit with obviously underinflated or leaking tires. Then, when weather breaks, these folks fire up the coach or hook up the trailer and head for the highways. Of course, when the sidewall on their Michelin tire blows away, they blame it on the manufacturer. Amazing, really.

Again, just MO and experience FWIW. Good luck, and please let us know how you make out....thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

No, truly... I appreciate your advice HeapBigEngin. You're right safety should be the first concern and it is, money is the second concern, but safety will not be compromised. If the motor home has to sit for a while, then so be it--I doubt it will sit, but I'm prepared.

I probably should have made this thread a poll, but it has been great reading the responses. I'm learning a lot.

Scott
Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
For those of you with Bridgestones, did you find RV specific tires or are you using "truck" tires?

Michelin's are back in the mix, but I would truly appreciate more options.

Thanks, folks.

Scott
We have the Bridgestone R250F series load range "G" tires, you can check them out on the Bridgestone Website:

https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_...trucktires/app

When you consider tires are the weakest link between your coach and the pavement I don't mind spending a few extra $$$ for that added margin of safety.

Best of luck on your choice of tires and safe travels..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
The Toyos are an all purpose tire I believe. The only companies I know of that make RV specific tires are Michelin and Continental.
I'm pretty sure Goodyear makes RV specific tires, too. They seem to cost more than other RV specific tires, though--just after quick research, though.

Scott
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

My purchase was somewhat motivated by price. I had just finished spending more than I wanted on our next coach. I did however, spend a month doing my homework looking at tire reviews, speaking with the two tire companies that look after our fleet of trucks and listening to opinions of my good compadres at irv2.

In my case, I wasn't looking for the absolute top of the line high priced tire. I was looking for something reasonably priced, dependable, with good ratings, and a good warranty.

Based on all the information I gathered, I set out to find the best pricing I could for something mid to high range. The Toyo's met all the criteria and so became the tire of my choice.
BTW, in shopping around, I saved almost $1200 off the purchase for all six tires. All six were Week 50 of 2012. So only a few months old.

I don't feel you have to buy a Ferrari to get to the grocery store when a Cadillac will do! LOL

I do agree, ultimately it's up to the purchaser to make their choice. We just give of our experience.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

If your wife doesn't want Michelins because she's seen bad press on the internet, then she hasn't done truly reliable research. Tell her to do the same on any other brand.

The problem w/tires is they have to roll on the road. So there are road hazards. Likewise they have to be manufactured, so there will be manufacturing defects. Check around & you'll find that any brand has voluminous blog/chat-room complaints from the folks that have a blow out.

I run Michelin X-Coach tires on the front for low noise & cushy ride. Michelin has a good quality record, and fabulous ride/noise characteristics. And I run whatever is reasonable on the rear, because a blowout there is no big deal. Currently I have Goodyear, but will change those to Bridgestone or Continental or whatever that is not Chinese (I hope) and reasonably priced. Not that I begrudge the Chinese their jobs, I don't; but I do begrudge them their low to non-existent to outright fraudulent quality control.

My Michelin X-Coach fronts were made in the U.K. btw, and came from the warehouse right at 6 months old from build date. Ordered thru FMCA program (yeah I know they are not on the "Example" table, which is why its an example. Same chord body so I'm told as the XZA Energy & same load table characteristics.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

I think I made a mistake by even mentioning my wife. She has since agreed with me that Michelin's are back on the hunt list. In fact, the rationale that they've lasted 10-years (I've only had the motor home since January) bodes well for Michelin's.

One thing I will do is take care of whatever tire I get--getting the coach weighed at each corner, proper inflation, tire covers when parked, tires not in contact with the ground (on wood or plastic) when parked or stored, etc. These are things I should have researched prior to buying.

Scott
Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I might add, ten yrs with you don't know what kind of care or treatment. I had Goodyears that were 7 yrs old, they looked like brand new but were always kept inside a climate controlled building when not on the road. I now have Michelins, which ride much better by the way. I expect similar lifespan with proper care and maintenance. I believe 7 to 10 yrs is not unreasonable for rear tires. Steer tires I would probably not go past 7 yrs.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Given the condition of the motor home when I purchased it, I would say everything was cared for by the most anal retentive person on the planet. I verified it has had only one owner prior to me. Everything in the coach looked new, no dirt or evidence of use anywhere other than on the odometer. I'm not kidding. Everyone who has seen the interior says it is the nicest looking ten year-old coach they've ever seen. It's like nobody used it. Even the heating ducts looked new. All that said, having to get tires isn't a bad thing, just very daunting--hence this thread.

Scott
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
One thing I will do is take care of whatever tire I get--getting the coach weighed at each corner, proper inflation, tire covers when parked, tires not in contact with the ground (on wood or plastic) when parked or stored, etc. These are things I should have researched prior to buying.

Scott
Scott....great plan and important actions to protect your tires. Outstanding! Based upon my life's experiences with many types of vehicles, I am convinced that tires are by far the most abused, overlooked and forgotten component on many, many vehicles. And then when trouble comes a callin', some wonder why? Excelent approach on your part, and excellent posts re your question. Take care.....
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

My old Firestone tires were 7.5 year old and an inside dual tire blew about ten minutes after we arrived home from a month long trip. Thank goodness it blew in the drive way.

In August 2012 I bought new Bridgestone tires that were manufactured in April 2012.

I weighed my rig and found I could run my new Bridgestone tires at their minimum pressures of 80 PSI. I opted instead to follow Winnebago’s suggested tire pressure for my coach of 85 PSI.

I notice that with my new tires my RV is affected more by passing trucks, wind, and road ruts then it was with my old tires. The RV became very squirrely and difficult to keep on the road with my new tires. It was so bad that I went to Camping World and had them install a Trac Bar and a Steering Stabilizer.

The Trac Bar and Steering Stabilizer helped some but the RV was still a little harder to handle then it was with my old Firestone tires.

We live in Washington State and we drove to Tucson, AZ for the winter. As we traveled south, sections of I-5 were very difficult to drive. As we traveled through Tucson I hit a grooved section of concrete road and my RV wanted to track left, and then right till we hit the end of the textured road. That was the last time the RV behaved badly.

As we left Tucson, AZ, traveling home, our motorhome drove about the same as it did with my old tires. As we passed through Redding, CA our motorhome started handling great. It has never been so easy to drive.

I didn’t change anything on the coach and the tire pressure is still 85 PSI.
The only thing that changed is my tires got older and some mileage on them. I am very happy with my Bridgestone tires now.

It is my understanding that rubber continues to cure over its life. My best guess is the tires either needed time to age or miles to settle in.

Good luck in your search for tires and safe travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

I guess I am going against the grain, I opted for Goodyear G670's for my recent steer tires.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post

I notice that with my new tires my RV is affected more by passing trucks, wind, and road ruts then it was with my old tires. The RV became very squirrely and difficult to keep on the road with my new tires. It was so bad that I went to Camping World and had them install a Trac Bar and a Steering Stabilizer.

JD
Try raising your tire pressures first to 90 and if that does not help go to 95, if it were mine I'd go directly to 95psi.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #40
Winnie-Wise

A strange situation thrown into the mix... I called the dealer where I bought my motorhome today. He told me to call a place, say it's for his place and get his pricing. In the meantime I have pricing on Michelin XRV's for my motor home from two places and the ball park quote from the Michelin Advantage program is far below those two prices.

I'm gonna try my dealers idea to see what I can get on the Michelin's if they carry them or can get them. I have a bad feeling that if I don't get Michelin's the ride in my 2003 Adventurer is going to change for the worse.

Scott

Tags
tires