Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Talking Need help in locating the wiring harness for a brake controlller for a 2005 vectra

I need help in locating the wiring connection for a brake controller on a 2005 Vectra. Also will need the interface wiring from the controller to the Winnebago wiring. Saw a mention of a non freightliner brand connector on an earlier post tat was much less expensive , but now cannot locate the thread. oh yea it is a Freightliner chassis with the Cummins ISL
As always appreciate the help
Old 11-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Please forgive me for not understanding your question. The connector is labeled and a diagram is available in the owners manual. I had a '05 40FD. I must admit that I have never wired one but I do use the connector for my towdolly.

Hope one of us can provide you with more help.

Rick
Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Owners manual is very vague. Connector is located near steering column. Great so are about 100 other wires, and connectors. Found a blank 6 pin fem,ale white connector, but no label so i am not sure if it is the correct connector.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Not sure, but this may be what you are looking for...

Freightliner Chassis (December 2002 and newer) Installation Supplement for Unified Tow Brake Towed Vehicle Kit

As far as the factory connector, I believe it's up under the dash near the brake pedal, but it's been a couple years since I worked on mine and I may not be accurate. I do recall that it's clearly labeled with a ?white? tag and was a square plug just like in the doc above.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I will be finding mine this weeked . I ordered a ford adapter (uninted tow break said that is what they use) I ordered mine from amazon $11 vs$132 for freightliner. I will let you know if I get it to work
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

OK, I have pulled the cover off of the dash, no luck, opened up the outside electrical panel,again no luck. Spent too many hours on my back under the dash notluck. Checked my Owners manual, it tells me i have one located near the steering column. I am open to any suggestions or ideas on how i might locate this elusive connection. Did mind a couple of loose connections which have fixed but no brake controller connection.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I could have sworn my connector was near the brake pedal up under the dash, but it's been a few years. Ok, another spot to try...

On my '04 Vectra there is a hidden "well" where many cables pass and some terminate. I know that's where I found my CB antenna hookup, but I cannot remember if that's where my brake connection was located or not. Sorry, RV is shut down for the year and 1-1/2 hours away.

Anyways, on the left side of the driver floor area there is a sloped footrest area to the upper left. If you dig around in the carpet in front of it you'll find it's a sloped piece of sheet metal held down in the front by about 3 screws. Once the screws are out you can remove the footrest sheet metal and you see a batch of cables down in the floor well. The brake controller cable MIGHT be there...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had the same question a year ago on my 2004 Meridian. I had searched the forums and also sent a question to Winnebago. The Winnebago answer was down on the floor area near the brake area that another person stated. Mine was actually labeled and under the dash on LH side. It was long enough to route under the dash and toward the brake pedal area. I mounted my controller just to the left of the brake. I guess all I can say it I bet it is there, just keep digging.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions and comments. I called Freightliner and they confirmed I do have the connection,so this weekend I am planning on taking the front seat out and sitting on the floor and going through every wire until I find the coonection. I will let you know how that works out
Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Update,
At last the elusive brake controller connection has been located. Ended up having to use a tone wire tracer to locate the wires and then follow them down into the primary fuse box by the front drivers wheel. Never would have found it without the tracer as everything I read and when I talked to Freightliner said it should be under the dash to the left of the brake pedal.
Thanks again to everybody for your suggestions, photos and help, I love this forum.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hey Catcoach,
We are glad you found it. Enjoy. And, thanks for letting us know. It is appreciated.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Hey Catcoach,
We are glad you found it. Enjoy. And, thanks for letting us know. It is appreciated.
X2 And many happy trails and good tails.

At the moment we use a tow dolly. After 6 years of this I am ready to give it up. When we get financially recovered from buying this rig, did that in May, we are replacing the car with a 4 down tow. I hope I don't have the trouble finding the dash wires as you had.

Tags
wiring, need help, cat, brake