Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need advice on tire rotation

We are putting some new tires on our 2001 Winnebago Journey 36GD. The two front tires are just a couple years old and have lots of tread remaining. Less than 10,000 miles on them. We therefore are buying only 4 new tires.

The tire shop is recommending putting two of the 4 new tires on the front. We agree with that. They are further recommending putting the two fomerly front tires on the inside of each rear duel, with a new tire on each of the outside rear duels. Is this the best way to set up the tires????

It seems to me, this setup may cause excessive wear on the outside rear duels until they catch up in wear with the existing wear on the inside rear duels. We would then rather quickly make the two new rear tires into old tires. If this is the case, would it not be better to put the formerly front tires, which are in very good condition, on say, the left rear duels [inside and out] and put the remaining two new tires on the right rear duels [inside and out]???? Maybe I'm fussing about nothing.

The formerly front tires have lots of tread no crackes, bulges, or other bad spots.

Any advice????

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Pine Tree, My personal opinoin would be to leave the old tires on the front. I would not like mixing old and new on the duals.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I second the motion.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Have never rotated tires on any of my 5 MH's to date.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Pine Tree it is not ok to mix old and new tires on same duel as the new one wil carry more of the load being taller because of less wear. If rig is allined ok then you should not need to rotate tires. Ihad 48k on last set and never rotated them. However the backs did wear abit faster. maybe due to more load on them. any way good luck with the new tires.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree with all the above.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank you, each and all. I will do as you suggest and just put the new tires on the two rear duels.
A little aside comment. I was pheasant hunting this weekend with a 64 year old, lifetime semi, truck driver. He said to begin with, the proper term in "truck talk" for the front tires is the STEER tires. I thought that was kinda cute. Anyway, he said that if they do put a slightly worn tire on the duels, they put them on the outside simply because they are easier to get at and change. Makes sense.
You folks make sense too. I have much to learn, but I'm working on it!!!!!
Thanks again,
Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Unfortunately, we've found that most people who work in tire stores know nothing about tires (sorta like RV salespeople know nothing about RVs). I'd listen to the people here who are giving you good advice rather than the people at the tire center who are giving you bad advice.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

pine tree,

I don't know if you've seen this, but it's worth a look.http://http://abcnews.go.com/Video/p...dex?id=4826897

Puttin
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
TW
Winnebago Camper

NEVER rotated TIRES

Agree with TN Bill. I never rotatd tires on my RV's (4) or cars (43).
That way I can see, were the trouble, if any, starts.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote