Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am the 2nd owner of my RV and the DOT date stamp on the tires is from '02. It is getting time for new tires. I currently have Michelin XRV's with no complaints(except the price of new ones). I work for the phone company and through our vehicle maintenance department, I can order new tires at a discount. The problem is, when they called to get a price today, they were told the XRV's were on backorder(was told that if they do come in they will be over $300). They could get me either Goodyear G670RV's or Firestone FS 560's for $288 installed. I average 2000 miles/year so I am not too concerned about the new tires giving me a ton of miles before they get too old. All 3 of these tires are rated F and are the same diameter.
One of my concerns is handeling. I love the way my existing set-up handels and am concerned that a different make/model of tire will change my set-up.
Does anybody have any experience with changing from Michelin's to either of these other brands and what is everybody's opinion of these tires ?
For the price, I have to consider it !!
Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am the 2nd owner of my RV and the DOT date stamp on the tires is from '02. It is getting time for new tires. I currently have Michelin XRV's with no complaints(except the price of new ones). I work for the phone company and through our vehicle maintenance department, I can order new tires at a discount. The problem is, when they called to get a price today, they were told the XRV's were on backorder(was told that if they do come in they will be over $300). They could get me either Goodyear G670RV's or Firestone FS 560's for $288 installed. I average 2000 miles/year so I am not too concerned about the new tires giving me a ton of miles before they get too old. All 3 of these tires are rated F and are the same diameter.
One of my concerns is handeling. I love the way my existing set-up handels and am concerned that a different make/model of tire will change my set-up.
Does anybody have any experience with changing from Michelin's to either of these other brands and what is everybody's opinion of these tires ?
For the price, I have to consider it !!
Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I replaced my original Goodyears with the same G-670 because of age also, not milage. They are supposed to have a compound in the rubber that helps with the suns ozone rays damaging and cracking the tires. So far I think it has worked as I have not had any sidewall cracking on either set of tires. Go with the Goodyear's.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I replaced my XRV's with G670's and am very pleased.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

In 30+ years of RVing, I have had good luck with both the Goodyear and the Michelin tires. I have had nothing but poor performance from Firestone tires.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

For the price I am going to get them for and the little millage I put on my RV I figure I can't go wrong with the Goodyears. Just wondering if my handleing will change.
Keep your experiences coming.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I kinda doubt that your handling will change if they are the same size tires no matter what brand. When I put on the Koni shocks, Now that did change the handling of my rig. For the better I might add. Highly recommended.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I too have run both Michelin and Goodyear tires and have had good luck with both. I currently am runing on the G670's and have been pleased with the ride. I have never been a fan of Firestone--had poor luck with car tires. Good luck and happy travels.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Everyone has their opinions on tires. I'v blown 4 Michelin's and in the process I have found that Michelin has never made a bad tire. It's allways something the owner has done, or not done.
I went to the G670's and have had no problems, so far. Went up one size and it really made a difference in ride and handling.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

On our motorhomes I had the best success with the Bridgestone commercial RIB tires.

On my truck and cars, I've never had a problem with a Michelin tire.

Ken
Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

rick, I'm with TXiceman on the Bridgestones, great tire, have them on current coach and used them on my first coach never a problem with them in our 13years of RV ownership.

Good luck with your choice, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rick_od:
All 3 of these tires are rated F and are the same diameter.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> I thought most mh run on "g" rated tires. Is "f" rated for a lighter weight ch?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Went up one size and it really made a difference in ride and handling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never thought about that - GREAT idea, which I will keep in mind for the appropriate time. I wonder if there are any downsides I should be aware of, if anyone knows?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder if there are any downsides I should be aware of, if anyone knows? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1. Make sure your rims will properly hold the larger size tire.
2. Make sure you have clearance in the wheel wells.
3. Make sure that there is enough spacing between the duals so that they do not rub as the tires flex.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote