Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Michelin Tires

Has anyone traveled on 275/R 22.5 h xza3+plus tires, and what is the difference with the xza3 tires?
pcfr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Never heard of the XZA3+ tires, we're on the XZA3's now, but Michelin has agreed to replace ALL 6 of them due to side wall cracking for a total out the door $ of $1480. I'll be getting Michelin's new line of X Line Energy Z tires that are just now in production. I havew to wait 1 month before the dealer gets them in but I know they'll on be a month or so old when I get them.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfr2 View Post
Has anyone traveled on 275/R 22.5 h xza3+plus tires, and what is the difference with the xza3 tires?
I have decided to stop buying Michelin because of the sidewall cracking issues that I have experienced on thee coaches in 10 years and the odd tire size that is hard to find. I, as many others have found out, am going with a 295/75R22.5 size. I like the characteristics of the Toyo M154 H (16 ply) tire. I will have 4 put on the rear in a couple of weeks for $1903.48 plus $183 for the Cetramatic wheel ballancers.

About your question? This might help: Press Releases | Michelin Truck

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 04-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Never heard of the XZA3+ tires, we're on the XZA3's now, but Michelin has agreed to replace ALL 6 of them due to side wall cracking for a total out the door $ of $1480. I'll be getting Michelin's new line of X Line Energy Z tires that are just now in production. I havew to wait 1 month before the dealer gets them in but I know they'll on be a month or so old when I get them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I have decided to stop buying Michelin because of the sidewall cracking issues
Rick Y
D Lindy
Like jerichorick I have decided to stop buying Michelin because of the sidewall cracking issues.
For me one set of Michelin sidewall cracked tires was ONE TO MANY.

After experiencing "Michelin sidewall cracks" how did you CONVINCE YOURSELFthat buying ANY Michelin tire is a good idea?
Wondering.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My opinion of Michelin is that they are overated. There are too many complaints of cracking sidewalls for me to pay that kind of money for them. I have had Bridgestone tires on my MH for 6 years. They look new. I just had them inspected and were given the okay for another year.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

X-2 Tony.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think it's their rubber formulation and then lack of corporate followup of consumer complaints for far too long. Now they have a very bad reputation with those who are in the know from following RV forums and they are stumbling forward with patches and money off offers that is helping somewhat but will it be enough in the long run? Who knows?

I won't be taking them up on their offer of a trade in due to cracks. It's just another marketing scheme, IMO. And that new set will probably crack just as quickly.

Amazon is stocking quite a few tire sizes these days...this one is good in a pinch, and free shipping if you're a Prime member:
Tire!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Actually, for the millions and millions of Michelins out there there are really not that many reports to be found.
Remember, Michelin had 90+% of the market for many years until GoodYear got into the market, now you see lots of "rivering" problems with GoodYears, that Michelins don't have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

MelS; The way I justify buying Michelin's again is that thru their defect program I'm getting 6 brand new X Line Energy Z (their new line) tires for what it would cost me for just 2 new tires. Any way I look at it, even if the new ones start sidewall cracking issues buying 2 tires and getting 6 new tires every 5 years or so, is a no brained. I've had this coach for 4 years now and the sidewall cracking has always been there and I've just kept a close eye on the depth of the cracks and the age of the tires. Once the age/cracks got to the point I felt there was a need to change them out I contacted Michelin directly and just went form there.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires