Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 01:11 AM   #21
WinnieAdven38

I think that Michelin makes the absolute best tires you can buy - but they can also be pricey. Other excellent manufacturers include Toyo and Continental. Do not favor Goodyear - have heard of too many problems with funny wear, going out of balance, etc.

Last summer needed to replace my front steer 22.5" Michelin tires. Found Toyo on Amazon for 1/2 the price of Michelin. Ordered and had shipped (free freight with Prime) to local truck tire shop where they changed tires and spin balanced. Very slightly different size - but exact same load rating. Have since driven from Maine to California on them and they worked great. Toyo highly recommended.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:24 AM   #22
jeb
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
I have owned my Class A, 35' Itasca, W24 chassis since Dec., 2006. The rig came with Michelin Tires. I went to several tires seminars over the years and discovered that Michelin tires could last up to 10 years if proper care was taken. The "proof is in the puddin" as the saying goes. I covered the tires when sitting for long periods, used wood underneath if parked on concrete, checked the pressures, rotated, etc. I knew I would never wear out the tires so longevity without compromising safety was my major object. I replaced the tires when they were 9 years old. I never considered any other brand so replacement tires were also Michelin. Another 4 years has passed and the tires are holding up well. I have no doubt they will last another 5 to 6 years. I was able to get a reasonable price on all six tires with a local truck tire dealer. I take my rig to them every year for a tire wear and pressure check at no charge. They are also capable of doing a front end alignment if necessary. To me the convenience and peace of mind is worth the extra money for Michelins. Just some comments to consider.
Are those the 22.5's this thread is asking about?
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

FWIW: My recommendation is to go with replacing all the original tires on a RV with the same quality.

The one significant point not mentioned in this trail comparing "truck tire replacement and methods" is that of the differences in vehicles. Consider, if a semi-truck's trailer (i.e. non steering) blows a tire at speed, very little damage, if any, to the trailer itself will occur. Not so with motorized RVs. A blown tire, again at highway speed, can create havoc with the bodywork/systems on such an RV. You pays your money and take your chances.

Plus, if a tire fails on my automobile, I can usually change it on the side of the road and then proceed. This is not true on a Class A nor most Class C RVs. You normally have to call for roadside service even if you have a spare.

With thought given to those two points, I choose to select quality tires all around our RV.

I've had good results with both Goodyear & Michelin truck tires on our RVs.

To each his own.....

chuck
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #24
WinnieAdven38

Knightly - I would hope that you check your tire pressures a lot more than once a year. I check pressures on all 6 of my Class A 22.5" tires each AM immediately before leaving for a travel day. Having a TPMS would be even better. But by doing daily checking I found that I had some valve stem extensions coming loose on the inner rear tires. I also carry an air compressor so I can adjust pressures as needed.

Having good tires is important - but it is even more important to keep them properly inflated as even the best tires will blow out if allowed to become under inflated.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Get Centramatic balancers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Good info. Do they balance the tires too?
If you are buying new tires, it would be a good time to invest in Centramatic balancers.

Save the money to balance your wheels. They constantly adjust the balance. You only need one balancer for each dual set of wheels.

I purchased all four from PeterbuiltParts.com for about $180.

BTW. The largest retailer in the Pacific Northwest is Les Schwab. They told me that they don't even bother balancing the rear wheels.
calendarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #26
WinnieAdven38

Agree that Centramatic bead balancers are the way to go.

As far as rear tire balancing - it is always beneficial to have new tires spin balanced so they run as smoothly as possible, stay cooler, and are safer.

For my new front 22.5" Toyo tires I had them spin balanced and installed the Centramatic balancers installed as well. It is just too important.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Have you recorded your fuel usage before and after installing the Centramatic balancers? Did you see the advertised improvement?
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
I have owned my Class A, 35' Itasca, W24 chassis since Dec., 2006. The rig came with Michelin Tires. I went to several tires seminars over the years and discovered that Michelin tires could last up to 10 years if proper care was taken. The "proof is in the puddin" as the saying goes. I covered the tires when sitting for long periods, used wood underneath if parked on concrete, checked the pressures, rotated, etc. I knew I would never wear out the tires so longevity without compromising safety was my major object. I replaced the tires when they were 9 years old. I never considered any other brand so replacement tires were also Michelin. Another 4 years has passed and the tires are holding up well. I have no doubt they will last another 5 to 6 years. I was able to get a reasonable price on all six tires with a local truck tire dealer. I take my rig to them every year for a tire wear and pressure check at no charge. They are also capable of doing a front end alignment if necessary. To me the convenience and peace of mind is worth the extra money for Michelins. Just some comments to consider.

Read the fine print as its Ten years as long as you pay every year starting at the end of the Fifth year to have a Michelin tire tech remove each tire from its rim, inspect it and sign off that its safe to continue using, If they are not considered safe they won't put the tire back on the rim and you have to buy a new tire. If it fails after they declare its safe then you can make a warranty claim.

Micheline is known to be the hardest tire company to deal with on warranty issues.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiHenri View Post
Agree that Centramatic bead balancers are the way to go.

As far as rear tire balancing - it is always beneficial to have new tires spin balanced so they run as smoothly as possible, stay cooler, and are safer.

For my new front 22.5" Toyo tires I had them spin balanced and installed the Centramatic balancers installed as well. It is just too important.

Even if using the Centramatics its best practice to put the tires on the spin balancing machine to ensure they were properly indexed on the rims and not radially out of balance to a large degree. Spin balancing is where a lot of tire and rim defects are caught so you give up that first line of defense when they do not check a tire along with its rim on a spin balancing machine.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Consumer Reports have just published tyre comparisons. As always, Michelin scored highest, but close to,them are quite a few alternatives.
MarinerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Yes, tire balancing was part of the deal when installed. I just got back from a 3500 mile trip and the tires are wearing nice and even.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:12 AM   #32
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Yes, the devil is in the details when it come to tire warranties. If you don’t take your tires in and balance/rotate them according to the manufacturer warranty is void.
But my question is, what’s with the “WOOD” under the tires? What’s the science behind that?
Also, my Ford Bronco...it sits outside in the sun 24/7 in the Bay Area. I’ve never covered the tires, they do just fine in full sun. No cracking or whatever.
Is this just an old wive’s tale about blocking the UV rays and wood?
I wear them out before they show any signs of deteriorating, and I only drive the Bronco less than 8,000 miles a year. These tires last me forever.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I've been doing a lot of shopping for 22.5 tires because mine need to be replaced. Don't call places that specialize in car tires, they're not set up to work on the RV or handle the 22.5 size wheels & tires.
You'll need to call places that specialize in truck tires, many of those have mobile units that will come to you to install the tires. The one near me (Jacksonville, Fl) that does that charges a $75 trip fee to come to my home to install the tires and haul away my old ones. To me that's more than worth it to save my time and trouble to take the RV someplace and wait around for it to get done. It makes a difference that I work from home, so I can be 'at work' and still be where I need to be for the guy to come and put the new tires on.

You realize that many times used tires can be sold for $50 to local truckers. I covered thin is my RV Tire blog.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Yes, the devil is in the details when it come to tire warranties. If you don’t take your tires in and balance/rotate them according to the manufacturer warranty is void.
But my question is, what’s with the “WOOD” under the tires? What’s the science behind that?
Also, my Ford Bronco...it sits outside in the sun 24/7 in the Bay Area. I’ve never covered the tires, they do just fine in full sun. No cracking or whatever.
Is this just an old wive’s tale about blocking the UV rays and wood?
I wear them out before they show any signs of deteriorating, and I only drive the Bronco less than 8,000 miles a year. These tires last me forever.

Intent of "wood" or "rubber mat" or Plastic is to keep the tires out of standing water (moisture can migrate into rubber and steel can rust) and to not park directly on asphalt where the oil can over time do surface damage to the tire.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Be sure to check the manufacter fate so you dont get sold a old set of new tires
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #36
Proud “No Intent” Owner

UV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Intent of "wood" or "rubber mat" or Plastic is to keep the tires out of standing water (moisture can migrate into rubber and steel can rust) and to not park directly on asphalt where the oil can over time do surface damage to the tire.
Thank you tireman again, I know you know what you’re talking about so I’m deferring to you once again. I park our RV on Camco levelers so I’m sure that’s good, but what about the whole UV thing? Any truth to that? I can imagine over many years of sitting in the sun without being driven might be bad but I always seem to wear out my tires before they crack or split even though I only put about 8000 miles a year on my bronco as I mentioned.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

One thing to remember about balancing as it is possible to 'Balance a cement block".
Spin balancing ON THE VEHICLE includes balancing the hub and brake drum/rotor and allows out of round situation to be observed.
I have included pictures in my blog post from 2011.
www.rvtiresafety.net/2011/11/do-you-need-to-balance-your-motor-home.html
Old 03-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestiffler View Post
FWIW I went with Continental 22.5" RV tires. They're a brand name tire and I received better pricing than the FMCA Michelin price. I've had them on the MH for about 6 months so I can't comment on sidewall cracking and as with any new tire they feel very good on the road. The Continental Truck Tire website was very helpful with part numbers and technical specs. Good luck in your search.
One big problem with Michelin is the odd RV sizes. The other big one is the frequent sidewall cracking. I'll never buy a Michelin again because of these 2 issues plus the $$$.
I have the Toyo M-154's 295/75R22.5 16 ply H rated on the rears of my rig. Conies on the front through the FMCA program. Good tire but big $ compared with the Toyo's. Here is the website: https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire
Be sure to look at the "Full Specs" to get a better idea of what this tire is about.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Just go Michelin all the way......you'll never worry about tires again for many years and miles
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Yes Jeb, my tires are 22.5's as they pertain to this thread?

Tags
tires