Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

LED replacement for third brake light

I was all set to reorder the third brake light on our 04 Journey and was wondering if any of you gents have switched out to an LED unit instead of the OEM light.

P/N#136917-01-000 LIGHT - BRAKE - CENTER MOUNT - OVAL
Camping Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Camping Nut,
Many folks here on the site have changed out many of their exterior lights to LEDs. Now, for some odd reason, it seems the Journeys have tendency to fade out and look pink. I have no idea just how long it takes to change from red to pink but, on our rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD, with the 330 CAT, it came from the factory with a long, very thin, LED third brake light. And, it's at this time, it's 9 years old and that light looks as good as it did the day it rolled out of the factory.

Now, with that being said, I'm not sure you're planning on just changing the bulb or, the entire fixture. I'd go with the entire fixture if it were me. I'd pick the one that will fit as close to your original setup. You can always go a bit bigger and it will simply attach to the back shell of your rig.

It's definitely going to be a drastic improvement. I've got LED lights on the platform that my Honda Goldwing rides on, on the back of our rig and you just about need sunglasses at night when following me.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I think we'll look around for a suitable LED upgrade.

Is the existing power adequate for the switch to an LED unit?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have the long strip on our 2004 Vectra and several of the lights are out. How is it attached to the rig and where did you find the led replacement?
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Camping Nut,
I think that when you get the original brake light off, it will be an LED light. Our '04 Journey light has faded to a light pink, but still works fine. The cost of a new one was more than I thought it was worth to replace it.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The fading ones I have seen ...mine too ...are led, and the led's are RED. So the fade is likely just a cosmetic problem. I replaced the original about 4-5 yrs ago when it started taking on moisture. Got it from an internet vendor ...identical. The replacement has now faded, but with the red led's inside it is not an issue.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bought my replacement from Lichstein RV store(SIC). Comes off with just 2 screws. When it was disconnected I found I didn't have access to enough wire to splice in the new fixture. Anyone have any idea where the wiring runs to? Anyway to access the wiring from inside the MH?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Bought my replacement from Lichstein RV store(SIC). Comes off with just 2 screws. When it was disconnected I found I didn't have access to enough wire to splice in the new fixture. Anyone have any idea where the wiring runs to? Anyway to access the wiring from inside the MH?
Seems I recall adding a bit of wire to what was there using butt splices. Original had two wires (yellow, white), replacement had three (yellow, green, yellow/green striped). I used yellow to power and striped to ground.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Nut View Post
Is the existing power adequate for the switch to an LED unit?
People replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs because they use so much less energy than the incandescents. Even multiple LED strips or bulbs use much less energy than the originals. Just be sure the LED unit has a built in current limiting resistor so the bulb doesn't burn out prematurely. Also be aware that LED's are sensitive to polarity, don't reverse positive and negative leads.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

My 2004 Chieftain has the same "fade to pink" 3rd brake light. About 5 yrs ago I replaced with a standard big-rig truck led that still looks like new. I used the rubber gromment and some urethane sealant to mount in the same hole. Buy for $12 here.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Old thread about my solution

And a fresh image, the one in the original thread points to an old location.

I prefer OE parts to cheap knockoffs that fade. In this case a Chevrolet/GMC Colorado/Canyon third brake light.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all you fine folks who've responded.
to Indiana Journey and AFChap. I just removed the OEM third taillight and you're both correct, it is an LED unit and although the outside has faded to pink, it does still work. I'm just wanting it to look a little brighter.
The OEM Center mount brake light 136917-01-000 2.5" X 7.9" is $27.83. Plus S/H online. So I think we'll head over to the aftermarket.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We just bought the OEM replacement for our 03 Journey and it is a different style than the one that turns pink. It is a very shiny red with individual sections in the lens for each bulb. When I first saw it I thought it was an LED version. Had to cut the wires off of the old one since it ran back into the end cap somewhere and do a simple quick splice. I was very pleased with the way it looks.

From Winnebagoparts.com: Part # 136917-01-000 center mount brake light $27.83. Plus S/H so it looks like the same part you found.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Is it possible that Winnebago may have upgraded the plastic on these units to be able to withstand more UV without turning pink? I certainly hope so...

Here's what ours looks like, sorry for the nine years of dust!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00650.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	38841   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00652.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	38842  

Old 05-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Here is a picture of the what the new one looks. You just have to cut the wires and splice it in. The wires to the old one go off into never land.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	39160  
Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I just removed the lens, cleaned it and installed a red, single contact, 12 volt bulb. Red as a pepper even though the lens is faded.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Nut View Post
Is it possible that Winnebago may have upgraded the plastic on these units to be able to withstand more UV without turning pink? I certainly hope so...

Here's what ours looks like, sorry for the nine years of dust!!
I wonder about that too as we keep waiting for ours to turn pink (because we keep reading about "not if but when" for that lens to turn pink) but ours still looks new and shiny and it's been almost seven years. Maybe they did find a better vendor for the plastic lens somewhere between 2004 and 2007?

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Fireup, I'm a retired Fire Capt. Out of NJ. (iAFF L-3172), First question is what type of motorcycle lift do you recommend and second ant Intel regarding the LED brake lights as in resistors and such. respectfully, David
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
Fireup, I'm a retired Fire Capt. Out of NJ. (iAFF L-3172), First question is what type of motorcycle lift do you recommend and second ant Intel regarding the LED brake lights as in resistors and such. respectfully, David
David,
First off, thank you for your great service to your city as a fireman. It is an outstanding career, as you know. Second, in my opinion, the ONLY lift/carrier out there is the "HYDRALIFT". It is, by far, the best constructed, most well thought out, smoothest working (seen them all work, up and down, with a full load), least amount of moving parts, most positive locking system and highest (good for toad hood clearance) unit out there.

If you look carefully at a Hydralift, you'll see the quality construction and positive working components. And, with todays hydraulics, the seal quality in those rams are great. Mine was used unit, had been sitting in back parking lot, in the Scottsdale AZ sun for two years before it was put on the selling block.

I bought it, sight unseen (other than some pictures on ebay) for way less than half of a new one. All we had to do was go pick it up from San Diego. "Road trip". We got it home, wiped off two years worth of neglect, put some wax on it, it looked like it was manufactured the day before we got it.

It was fun installing it. This is not my thread but, I will tell you to PM me and I'd be very happy to tell you all about the install, how happy we were with its operation, how well it did, how well the coach handled it and much more.

Now, as for LEDs and brake lights. Here's the deal. In combination tail light systems, as in "dual filament" systems, as in one filament for running lights and one filament for turn and brake light effects, the system is designed with resistance in mind. That is, it takes a certain amount of juice to energize the filament for the brake lights and or turn signals. And, the average flasher, is tuned for that kind of resistance. Now, when the turn signal is used, the amount of resistance that's needed to flash that set of bulbs (front and rear) is calculated into that flasher so the flash "rate" is a certain timing.

But, since an LED is a total different concept in lighting, it represents almost NO RESISTANCE what so ever. So, what happens is, the flasher, which is designed for resistance to operate correctly, now faces NO resistance and therefore, the flash rate is increased dramatically. And that's why you see on the little rice burners out there, the turn signals going zonkers instead of flashing normal.

As for brake lights, and the use of an LED in replacement, for the most part there will be no residual effects on the electrical lighting system because, there's no flasher or any other mechanism involved. It's simply turning a set of lights on and off. Now, the effect of the actual LED light bulb as opposed to the standard incandescent one could and would have mixed reviews. You see, there's many different LED replacement bulbs out on the market. And, there's good ones and there's junk.

www.superbrightleds.com is the site I've been using for years for my LEDs. They have a great site with tons of explanations of their bulbs, what's required to use them properly and more. I'd check them out and see what they have for you. Good luck. Sorry to the OP here. Surely did not want to highjack any portion of your post.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Check out Summit Racing Equipment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, replacement