Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Jet Air Ride Problem(s)

1993 Winnebago Elante 33RQ Single Rear Axle w/Jet Air Ride Suspension

Hope this is in the right forum. Here's a little backstory. Came back from trip and very close to home blew out the passenger rear airbag. Did some price checking including calling Jet Ride on replacement bags thinking I was going to do the job myself. Got a very good quote on price to replace bags and labor from a RV shop in Oronoco, MN. Made the appointment, dropped off the MH and waited for a call... and waited... and waited. Called them several times and each time was told that they had never worked on a system like this and they had to figure out how to do it and were having problems getting airbags. This was a bit annoying because on making the appointment I was very forward about my MH, my airbags and system and even provided them the part number I got from Jet in Iowa.

Finally got the MH back 3 weeks after dropping it off. Drive the 40 or so miles home, park and find out that the rear has lost all air. Tried to air it up with my Harbor Freight 100 psi little compressor which has always worked before as the onboard compressor has never worked and I manually fill from the rear tank. No luck. It has always worked before but not this time. Figured maybe I need more pressure so I wheel out a larger compressor with a 120 psi rating and up she goes. Nice. Let it sit for 24 hours and still up. Great. Take it for a short drive through town and all of a sudden a pop, hiss and down she goes. Dang.

Back home and do the same drill. Out with the larger compressor but no matter what I try it will not come up. I can hear the switches opening when I work the manual rockers on the dash. I know air is going into the tank. I can't hear any obvious air leak or rushing or hissing of air. It just wont stand up. Figure I have two problems.

First... Why did I lose air in the first place? There must be a ride height control valve or pressure relief that is broke, not set right or let loose but I'll be danged if I can find it. Refering to the Winnebago manual and the Jet Air Ride "handout" that came with the MH doesn't really lead me anywhere.

Second... Why can't I at least build pressure and raise it?

I'm thinking these problems are related. Has anyone had this problem before or have some insight? Prior to this absolutely no issue with the rear air suspension. If I could hear a leak that would lead me at least somewhere but as I stated I can't.

Thanks for reading this and I'm hoping someone chimes in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Thanks
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Found my leak. Couldn't believe what I saw. Forty miles on NEW airbag and its gotta a hole. I'm sure it was defective out of the box or a cheap, cheap replacement or was pinched during install, maybe. Dunno. Twenty six years and 47,000 miles on the original can't get an hour down the road with new ones. Is there something I'm missing?

Receipt indicates air spring replaced (x2) with part number 881AS9049. Can't cross reference on Google.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1014191811.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	172319  
Old 10-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Continental (CONTITECH AS9049) air springs. Wow. I think I paid too (what a markup) much but supposed to be a fit for the original.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a 94 Vectra with those bags. One blew out 2000 miles from home (blew out in Billings Montana). It took them a week to get the bags and fix it. $2926.56 later and the system leaked flat overnight when we got it back. Fortunately after driving it onward the system seemed to start working again. The picture looks like your bag was cut by something.
Reason I'm replying... please get the system pump fixed, it was a life saver for us the first 1000 miles until it stopped leaking.
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Its definitely a hole and not a slice. The pic is lousy. I'm thinking that I got an old bag that was on a shelf for years and had a weak spot or defect. As it looks pretty dusty/dirty for a new bag I was even thinking it might be used. Everthing else... lines, connections, petcock valve seemed to be okay. I'm thinking you can't get this bag anymore as my searches have come up zip. Out of stock and don't have a replenishment date.

Thanks for the input. I would like to see that compressor working but probably won't happen until the spring.

I followed up with the RV shop and much to my surprise they said it does happen and its not the 1st time they've replaced an airbag (or other part) only to have it go out again right away.

They were decent on the phone and in person, and told me they would replace the bag at no cost to me including labor. Its there now and I can't wait to get it back. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Been there Done that

I have a 91 Elandan.. Pretty much the same RV.. I put on 2 Air Bags on the right side both of which Blew with only a few miles on them. Found the right bag was rubbing against the Wheel. Probably as it went over bumper the bag would expand a little and rub

Any how I did some measurements and found the axle was shifted to the Left about 2 inches. Wish I had known sooner.

I had a replacement Bag ordered But after 3 months it never came in. So I got fed up and put Leaf springs on it with Bilstein Shocks.
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Theory

My Theory is on the rear of these is the Trac Bar is Huge. It runs from the Left side of the axle housing to the right inner Frame. The Bushings are really thick and after 25 years they wear out. This allows the Rear end to Shift around corners causing the Right rear Air Bag to Rub on the Rear inside wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_132609.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	172439  
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

1994 Vectra with Jet Company rear air springs and Air Lift bags inside front coil springs with Hellwig front and rear sway bars. My rear air bags are intact and hold air but are 1994 OEM with 24K miles on them so I am going to replace with new replacements. I already replaced crumbled front air springs inside coils and all the front and rear sway bar bushings from Hellwig. I called Hellwig and spoke to tech folks in back they mailed me new correct fit bushings. No guess work on cross matching part #s.

Least expensive price I could find online for new rear springs:
Firestone Airide Replacement Air Spring - W01-358-9260 Your Price: $222.17 each.
Low Price Guarantee
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com
order online drop shipped from Firestone direct in 3-4 days.
TallTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems