Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I just bought my coach 2001 Itasca Horizon. They put new Goodyear tires on it as a part of the purchase package.
Sorry to hijack the thread but the tag on the Motorhome says the max tire pressure is 100PSI, do you all run the tires at the max PSI?
As with a car, we have a sticker in the coach with the suggested tire psi. But the side wall of your tire has a psi rating. This is the maximum cold pressure your tire is built for. Don't go over that when setting the tire pressure. Cold means no sun shining on the wheel and before you drive at all... early morning is good.

As the tire rolls down the road it will gain 6 or more psi from road friction and the sun. This is normal. Don't correct this pressure during your driving time.

As another member stated, weighing the coach is a very good idea. This gives you a chance to balance the cargo load some if you need. But it also tells you what tire load rating to select. It only makes safe sense to put tires on you rig that can handle the axle load and to use the recommended psi for that load.

I have looked at many different manufactures. I like the way the Michelin tires are built. A tag axle distributes the weight better than the single axle duelies, as I have, and the rugged deign of my tires seems safer to me. (Purely my opinion.)

I recently had conversation with Michelin. One of the topics was expected tire life. They recommend that, starting at 5 years of service, the tire be removed from the rim and inspected on the inside. This should be done each year for the next 5 years and then replace the tire after 10 years of service. The inside of a tire will show damage that can't be seen from the outside according to the representative I spoke with. I had a blowout on one front tire that was about 7 years old and never fully inspected. The damage to the coach was extensive.

Tires is a huge topic and sometimes hard to get ones head around. I don't think you hijacked this topic at all. Thank you for your question.

Rick Y
Old 02-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Possible to go 10 years on your RV tires? Watch this video.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Weldor View Post
Possible to go 10 years on your RV tires? Watch this video.

Another faithful RVer helping other RVers! Thanks. That is a great video.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I once drove 14 years on a set of Michelins. Never had a blowout. I would not recommend this to anyone though. I am in the habit of 10 years max on motorhome tires now, sidewall cracking or not.

Tags
tires