Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Is 225/70R19.5 tire likely to be carried on service truck?

I'm debating whether or not to carry a spare. I would like to remove the spare, save 200 pounds so I can carrry a 380 pound motorcycle on a hitch carrier. Right now I'm limited to 400 pounds dead weight. I don't know if this is a hitch limitation, or a chassis limitation, but it is easy enough to upgrade the hitch to a class IV or V.

Is a 225/70R19.5 tire size common enough to be carried on a service truck? The tire weighs around 85 pounds, and I'm guessing the steel wheel weighs around 120. Are these weights in the ball park? I could always carry the tire only and save over 100 pounds.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team

We’ve got a mounted spare that’s in a compartment about 5 feet off the ground. I’m 6’1” 250 and it’s all I can do to get it out of that compartment so I’d say your weights are about right.
I don’t know how common it is to have one on a service truck but I bet when you called they’d have one to bring you. I’ve also heard of people carrying only the unmounted tire as it’s easy enough for a service tech to mount it up on the road.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I know this is an old thread, but it is getting closer to tire time.

I could save one of my newer takeoffs, put a tube in it to keep the inside clean, and strap it into the location of the spare.

Has anyone done this? I imagine the current assembly just bolts on the wheel. How would I strap it down? If I knew the diameter of the bolt (easily obtainable) I could find a series of hooks to strap it down. Just brainstorming here.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My spare is carried in the rear storage compartment top section. I made a simple wood ramp frame from 2x3's to make the transition from the cargo door to the upper section which makes loading and unloading easy.
ronmanfredi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service