Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Individual wheel weight on 27N

Does anyone have the individual wheel weights on a 27N? Either as delivered or as you loaded it.
Oakprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Per Escapees Smart Weigh fully loaded with driver, full water, and full propane, with empty holding tanks, and my cargo, in pounds:

Left Front 2,800
Right Front 3,100

Left Rear 5,200
Right Rear 6,200

For my Vista the max weights are:

Front GAWR 7,000
Rear GAWR 12,000
GVWR 18,000
GCWR 23,000
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Any idea what made the right rear so heavy? I would think with the generator on the left it would be heavier.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The left side from just behind the door to almost the very back has a long slide out, it has the refrigerator, kitchen drawers and cabinets, pantry cabinet, bedroom dresser drawers in it. The weight transfers down to rollers on the bottom of the slide to the floor, so the load transfers to the floor slightly outside the left frame rail. Other reasons is that most of the basement storage compartment storage area is on that side from behind the door to the back. The water heater with it's weight of 6 gallons of water is also on that side in the back.

The heavier side is still well under wheel and tire capacities. I do run the rear dual tires on that side a few PSI higher than the tires on the other side because of the weight difference.

Once I had it weighed and discovered the weight difference, I also noticed a very slight lean when the vehicle is off the jacks due to the rear leaf springs carrying more weight on that side of the Vista. Not enough to effect anything.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Randy. Good info and perspective. I didn't have the individual wheel weights...
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

FYI the heavier side is the passenger side. Escapees called passenger side right and I called passenger side left in my post # 4. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The heavier side is still well under wheel and tire capacities. I do run the rear dual tires on that side a few PSI higher than the tires on the other side because of the weight difference.
If I'm not mistaken, all tires on an axle should be at the same pressure, in this case the pressure from the inflation tables that correspond to the heavier side plus a 10% safety margin.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If I'm not mistaken, all tires on an axle should be at the same pressure, in this case the pressure from the inflation tables that correspond to the heavier side plus a 10% safety margin.
I have TPMS and based the TPMS readings, tires on an truck/RV axle are NEVER the same pressure in the real world when a vehicle is driven, due to sun on one side and shade on the other, different weights on the tires on each end, etc.

On my Vista it is typical that the front tires will be 2-4 PSI or more different after driving and the tires rise to operating pressure, and the rears will be 5-8 PSI different after the tires rise to operating pressure. I set the cold pressure about 3 PSI higher on the heavy side rear duals where they are carrying about 20% more load.

Bob C, are you aware of the reason why you say cold tires on an axle should be the exact same pressure. They certainly don't stay that way once you drive and the tires warm up according to my TPMS experience.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #9
2018 Intent 26M Owner

New owner of Intent 26M...placard next to driver side says cold tire pressure should be 83 both front and rear...the Goodyears say cold temp 110. 83 seems very low to me...I am installing a TPS system and need a better understanding of what proper inflation rate should be.

BTW, why would the valve stem on outside rear tire on dual be facing toward interior of the vehicle...absolutely impossible to get a conventional tire pressure inflator on it!

Where do I find the "inflation tables" mentioned
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I have TPMS and based the TPMS readings, tires on an truck/RV axle are NEVER the same pressure in the real world when a vehicle is driven, due to sun on one side and shade on the other, different weights on the tires on each end, etc.

On my Vista it is typical that the front tires will be 2-4 PSI or more different after driving and the tires rise to operating pressure, and the rears will be 5-8 PSI different after the tires rise to operating pressure. I set the cold pressure about 3 PSI higher on the heavy side rear duals where they are carrying about 20% more load.

Bob C, are you aware of the reason why you say cold tires on an axle should be the exact same pressure. They certainly don't stay that way once you drive and the tires warm up according to my TPMS experience.

Because that is the rule stipulated in most tire inflation tables and owners manuals to inflate all tires on the same axle to the pressure for the highest weight. Otherwise the differential could be great enough that the effective circumference of the tires could be so different that it could cause severe handling and braking issues along with lead to premature drive axle/third member failure.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiter View Post
New owner of Intent 26M...placard next to driver side says cold tire pressure should be 83 both front and rear...the Goodyears say cold temp 110. 83 seems very low to me...I am installing a TPS system and need a better understanding of what proper inflation rate should be.

BTW, why would the valve stem on outside rear tire on dual be facing toward interior of the vehicle...absolutely impossible to get a conventional tire pressure inflator on it!

The maximum tire pressure specified on a tire is never intended for the actual load, which is usually much less.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Old 02-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiter View Post

The numbers on the tire are for max load that the tire is rated for, not YOUR RV; those tires are used on many different rigs, both heavier and lighter than yours.

The placard on your RV is for YOUR RV at it's MAX weight. You should never require more psi than that as long as you are not overloading your RV, and you are likely to be able to run even less based on your actual weight.

Weigh your rig, preferably 4 corner weights, but each axle at least, and then set your tire pressure accordingly based on the tire manufacturer's load chart (available online). Until you weigh, use the tire placard.

As for the valve stem, keep in mind that those same rims are used in 3 different locations; outside dual, inside dual, front (steer). So the valve needs to be accessible for all 3 mounting positions. A tire inflator (and gauge) with a dual head makes easy work of accessing them in any of those positions.

Tags
weight