Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just ran down here to the rally, the first real run in it and it handles like a dream. Plenty of power, super smooth, real quiet, just awesome.

But one issue, the front right is low. 17 1/2" on the passenger side & 18" on the drivers. That is center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt. I do not see a lever on the passenger side. So is the adjustment made in the rear?

Want is happening is that the suspension on the low side is bottoming out when you hit a pot hole or big bump and it is slamming really hard.

I am hoping to make a adjustment before we leave hear.

Bill
Old 07-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just ran down here to the rally, the first real run in it and it handles like a dream. Plenty of power, super smooth, real quiet, just awesome.

But one issue, the front right is low. 17 1/2" on the passenger side & 18" on the drivers. That is center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt. I do not see a lever on the passenger side. So is the adjustment made in the rear?

Want is happening is that the suspension on the low side is bottoming out when you hit a pot hole or big bump and it is slamming really hard.

I am hoping to make a adjustment before we leave hear.

Bill
Old 07-16-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I presume by "rally" you mean GNR?? Either way, on a 2006 rig I'd be having a dealer do an adjustment under warranty or I would talk to the techs at factory customer service in person or Winnebago Owner Relations over the phone to find out how to make the adjustment.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Just double checked the Freightliner site, the following is a cut and paste.

For the front ride height on an Independent Front Suspension (IFS), measure from the center of the upper shock-absorber bolt to the center of the lower shock-absorber bolt. This dimension should be 17.5" +- 1/4".

Seem like the passenger side is right on, but the drivers side is high. On our rig, (Now keep in mind I've got the solid front axle) we only have one ride control valve in the front. Two valves are on the rear and the side to side control is done with the rear.

Maybe one of the guys with a Evolution chassis with IFS can jump in and confirm the number of height control valves on the front.

If yours is the same (with one only on the front) I'm betting you're just a touch high on the left rear. It wouldn't take much extra height on the left rear to push additional weight to the right front

Since the chassis is rigid when one wheel is slightly higher, it's like the chair with one leg a touch longer. You end up with a rocking chair since the longer leg and the opposite corner leg support more weight than the other two legs. If your left rear is to high, the right front is carrying more weight than it should.

If you can drop the height on the left rear, even only an 1/8" or so, you might find the right front comes up to it's correct 18"

FYI The rear suspension should be 9-3/4" plus/minus 1/8"

Here's some more leisure reading for ya

Freightliner Recreational Vehicle Chassis Manual

Freightliner's "Knowing Your Chassis"
Old 07-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Joe,

You might want to double check your ride height control valves. I have an 02 Journey with the solid front, and there are 2 height control valves on the front, and only one on the rear.

The reason I know was I was having issues with the right front valve leaking all the time. I ended up replacing it, and then checked my ride height. My left front was 1/2" too high. The new one on the right front, and the rear one was perfect. Makes a big difference when driving.

Happy Trails!
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Mine definitely has 2 valves on the rear axle and only 1 on the front.

I did a quick search and found a thread in which a couple other Journey owners and a Vectra owner also commented they had 2 rear and 1 front.

Ride Height discussion

It's interesting your Journey is different. It's very possible that there might be differnt chassis configurations. Perhaps mid year model changes.

I'm hoping someone else with IFS can check under their rig.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi All,

04 Horizon with IFS, 2 rear, one front. On our 03 Journey, the same, 2 rear, one front. This design seems normal for air suspension. If there were four valves and one was out of adjustment, you'd be loosing air like crazy as one side tried to lift the coach and the other tried to lower it. One bag would be over inflated while the other was under inflated. Unsafe at best!

I've never heard of two front and one rear, but I suppose it's possible. Just means that the two front tires have to provide all the lateral control instead of the rear dual tires. I believe the normal setup is one valve for the front located on the drivers side to feed air equally to the front air bags. This allows the left to right level of the entire coach to be set with the two rear valves
Old 07-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mine has two on the front and one on the passenger side rear.

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote