Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

How to replace the passenger side rear Valance/Wheel lip

On a recent camping trip in my 2001 Adventurer 35U, my outside rear tire blew out on the passenger side. The force of the tire sidewall blowing (?) knocked off the exterior Valance/Wheel lip cover. According to a Winnebago Parts Catalog, it is listed as 132332-02-L32. After ordering the replacement panel from my authorized Winnebago dealer, I plan on making the repairs myself and am curious to know if there are any special installation instructions or tools required? I was unable to recover the panel that blew off as we were on I-10 in Florida and it probably landed in a swamp somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Panel 2.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	33659  
SaintsfannVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hard to tell from your pic but the new panel might attach using an adhesive. Many of the plastic and fiberglass on our coaches are attached to metal brackets with an automotive body panel adhesive.

Have you looked under the opposing wheel panel to see how it is attached?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, I looked at the panel on the drivers side but it appears to be mounted with steel brackets on both sides. Without taking it off, I couldn't tell if there are any other pieces that may be holding it on not readily visible.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I hadn't thought of Automotive adhesive in addition to mounting brackets. Thank you. Since the panel took its mounting brackets with it when it blew off, it's a challenge trying to figure out what all was holding it in place.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsfannVA View Post
I hadn't thought of Automotive adhesive in addition to mounting brackets. Thank you. Since the panel took its mounting brackets with it when it blew off, it's a challenge trying to figure out what all was holding it in place.
OK. Some of the panels (like my generator access panel) have an aluminum framework adhered to the panel with adhesive. Then, the aluminum frame bolts or screws to yet another bracket. I can see what appears to be 8 holes in your pic so maybe the panel has some framework that bolts to that piece.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I can help you with this. We owned a 02 Adventurer 35U before the current DP. I hooked my passenger wheel well cover on a short post when I was navigating thru a tight campground and paying attention to where the left front was going and not where the right rear was headed. It was at nite so I can always use that as a partial excuse. I tore the plastic wheel well panel and also marred the storage compartment door in front of it. I had to remove them both. Had to replace the wheel well panel and take the door off to get them both painted. The wheel well panel you will get from Winnebago will be black in color when you get it. They will provide you with the paint code for the correct color match. I paid about 210 for the panel when I bought it about 8 years ago. The paint job for both ran about 400.
To remove the panel I had to remove the long rail immediately above it. You start from the back of the vehicle and remove the end tab and then slide the rail out of the long slot. This will reveal the system of attachment tabs underneath the entire rail for all of the doors as well as the panel you need to change. It is a Phillips screwdriver, no special toolling required. Since you lost your panel with the tabs attached, you may need to get new attach tabs with your panel if they don't come attached when you pick it up. They may be molded into the plastic. Do you have remanants of plastic tabs with phillips screws directly above the wheel well panel that is missing. I don't remember. There will also be three or four Philips screws inside the wheel well opening that hold the bottom ends of the panel.
This was not a really difficult maintenance task. I got the low down on how to do it from a body shop guy at the Winnie dealer in Tacoma, WA. It was just as he said it would be. It took me about an hour to take it apart, then about 45 min to put it back together. A call to Winnebago service should provide you with the same result.
Good Luck with your project. Your "loss story" is better and less embarassing than mine was. Mark In Palmer, AK

OBTW: We luv the diesel bus we got when we sold the Adventurer after 10 years of great service.
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hopefully the part you ordered includes the frame, tabs, and screws.

Tags
replace