Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help: Spare Tire Age

I purhcased a used MH recently. The current tires are still good and will probably last a couple more years as they are still within a 6 year manufacturer window and lots of good tread.

My question is the spare tire was never used and stored inside the rear bay covered. The manufacturer date is 2007. Can I still use this tire if I get into trouble or should it be replaced?
pinchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would replace it. I doubt it would last long should you be required to rely on it.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had some cheap trailer tires totally disintegrate sitting inside a dark garage that almost never was opened. So probably replace.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My question is, would a tire dealer/roadside assistance mount a tire that old? It seems a shame to not be able to use it, but then again, how far would it get you down the road?
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Buy a newer, used tire with decent tread. I did this when I had my MH tires replaced and got a reasonably new (3 yrs?) tire for $75.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

BTW, I should probably mention I have a trailer not a MH, but first thing I did was replace the cheap Chinese Goodride tires even though they were basically new, and the replacement included the spare.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Buy a newer, used tire with decent tread. I did this when I had my MH tires replaced and got a reasonably new (3 yrs?) tire for $75.
This is what I plan on doing soon.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

life is a gamble and we do it all the time, but I like to look at the odds as well as the payout when gambling. In this case it is not a payout but what it costs me if I gamble and lose. It may cost a $100 dollars to replace a tire but that has to balance against what it costs if I lose on this roll of the dice.
So the question becomes, what if I need the spare, put it on and it fails and maybe does a blowout. At minimum, we are stuck waiting for service and worst we wind up in the ditch, maybe total the RV. So I do the $100 and bite my lip. ....
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
At minimum, we are stuck waiting for service ....
That's a huge factor. I had a CruiseAmerica rental ruined by having to spend two separate nights at a mechanic's shop. We could not complete the trip, particularly since it was either a cracked head or blown head gasket and the vehicle should never have been sent out in the first place.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchio View Post
I purhcased a used MH recently. The current tires are still good and will probably last a couple more years as they are still within a 6 year manufacturer window and lots of good tread.

My question is the spare tire was never used and stored inside the rear bay covered. The manufacturer date is 2007. Can I still use this tire if I get into trouble or should it be replaced?

Does your tire mfg state "6 years max life"?
Michelin and GY say 10 years max no matter what the tire looks like. That is based of competent Michelin or GY dealer doing an inspection and giving a written report.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

My father was a tire engineer for almost 50 years and he along with other tire designers all were in agreement that most 10 year tires are not worth the cost of inspections to keep the warranty going after 5 years when annual inspections that you have to pay to have the tires removed from the rims, inspected and remounted become required to maintain the warranty. Its usually cheaper and safer to just replace them after the 5 years.

As for keeping a spare manufactured in 2007 is concerned, most reputable national tire service companies would not touch it since its over 5 years old since they would be chancing loosing their franchise.