Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Half price tires

My local tire dealer quoted me a price of 183.49 for a 245 70 19.5 load range H tire installed.

These are Longmarch tires made in China My Goodyear dealer quoted over double that price for load range F tires. Sounds too good to be true. Has any one had any experience with these tires?

Bill
'99 Chieftain
jbesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
adj
Winnebago Camper

I wouldn't put any tire made in China on any of my vehicles.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Half price tires

Ditto that, about China. Think "drywall made in China".

Roland
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I put Sumitomo 19.5's on my 32' gasser. Ride great and no problems in 2 years. Try TireKingdom. Seems they were around $170 or so back then.
goneagain4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure but I think as far as tires go, you get what you pay for.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I agree on the Sumitomos (Japanese). I had a set put on recently - so far so good. Paid ~$180 each. Best deal I could find and am happy with the ride. Reputable chassis guy in my area recommended them.

Bill
ebg338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Forgot to mention the tires are DOT approved

Bill
99 chieftain
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

Maybe you could go to the junkyard and get some used ones. Think of how much more you could save.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
TW
Winnebago Camper

Question RVTires

Quote:
Originally Posted by adj View Post
Right on, my LIFE and that of my family is worth a LOT MORE.
Only M ... or G... tires come on my vehicles.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

My friend put Sumitomos on his diesel with beads works fine for him. I tried some Chinese tires and no matter what I did there was vibration. Dealer took them off and I used the G670 Goodyears. Works for some others not so good. Seems that I can never go cheap as other folks do.. If the dealer will guarantee your satisfaction give them a try. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

how long will it be until we have no choice but chinese tires?
I'll run retreads first!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbesdale View Post
Forgot to mention the tires are DOT approved

Bill
99 chieftain
Let DOT put them on their MH's. A lot of gov't approved things have not turned out so good. Milk, Toys, Drywall, etc., etc.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Regardless of which tires you put on, check the DOT code on the tire. It will be a string of number. The last 4 numbers, starting after year 2000 will be the date of manufacture.

The first two numbers of the last four are the week of manufacture, and the last two numbers are the year of manufacture. Tires are reported to have a shelf life of about 6 years. Try to get tires that are less than a year old. Ask to see the DOT Code before they mount them and tell them you will not accept tires that are over 1 year old. If they don't like that, try a different dealer.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adj View Post
You think Toyota has problems... Just a couple of years ago every car or truck with a tire made in China got recalled for new tires.

Think about all the high quality goods that have come out of china in the last few years we have heard about.. There's ..... Humm, can't think of any just now.

Now think of all the recalls,, Food, Toys, Tires, just to name 3 products... Heads have rolled due to the quality issues (Yes, China beheads the government administrator in charge of keeping thigns quality when recalls happen) but still. the problems remain per more recent news reports.

I'd go with the better tire.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Regardless of which tires you put on, check the DOT code on the tire. It will be a string of number. The last 4 numbers, starting after year 2000 will be the date of manufacture.

The first two numbers of the last four are the week of manufacture, and the last two numbers are the year of manufacture. Tires are reported to have a shelf life of about 6 years. Try to get tires that are less than a year old. Ask to see the DOT Code before they mount them and tell them you will not accept tires that are over 1 year old. If they don't like that, try a different dealer.

Good luck.
Is anything less than 1 year old okay. I'm starting to look for new tires because mine are showing cracks at 6 1/2 years old so I was thinking of insisting of 6 months or less. Will that be unreasonalbe?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

A recent article in Motorhome magazine recommended tires be no more than 4 months od at the time of installation.

As for the Chinese tires, first consider what you're putting them on. If you're like most of us you only put on very few miles near the dealer that sold them. Most of the use they get will be hundreds or thousands of miles from the selling dealer. If you have a problem who will be able to supply the same brand and size tire within a reasonable time period.
Personally I would stick with a name brand tire with an established dealer network, or one that can be found at independant tire shops. The low price may sound good now, but it may come back to haunt you a thousand miles away from home.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I just saw a set of TOYO RV tires 22.5.. 7 years old, 48,000 miles in very good condition. The owner said they have been excellent tires. The tread was half wore (so they looked).

As of September 2009, Toyo brand tires have once again been rated the #1 Overall Brand by North American tire dealers. Toyo tires have received this recognition 5 years in a row.

I was suprised the tires were more than 6 mos old.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/m111z

I'm not sure what tire model he had. I don't remember.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I just saw a set of TOYO RV tires 22.5.. 7 years old, 48,000 miles in very good condition. The owner said they have been excellent tires. The tread was half wore (so they looked).

As of September 2009, Toyo brand tires have once again been rated the #1 Overall Brand by North American tire dealers. Toyo tires have received this recognition 5 years in a row.

I was suprised the tires were more than 6 mos old.

M111Z | Toyo Tires

I'm not sure what tire model he had. I don't remember.
I just put 4 Toyos on the back of my MH. I pretty much had all winter, so I called my local dealer who I really wanted to deal with. They went through the whole "never had anyone ask how old the tires are that they are buying" thing.

They had two on hand, I don't remember how old, but I do remember they were out of the question because of age. After talking to the dealer for a while, he began to understand why I was concerned about the age of the tire. The 10 year old Micheliens he took off with the cracked sidewalls still had more than half of their tread remaining.

Anywho, he ordered 4 new ones for me straight from the factory. Date code 4409. That's a manufacture date of 44th week of 09. First week of Novemebr I think, and I had them installed late January. Hard to get much fresher tires than that, and I got 4 275 70R 19.5 for right at $1000 out the door.

I'm happy, so far so good. I would not consider Chinese tires myself.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Tires are like parachutes, when you really need them to work you always wished you had the best.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I surrender

Thanks Fellows

You convinced me. Going to put on 6 Goodyear G670rv tires. Dealer quoted 2500.00 installed and balanced. Am I getting a fair price

Bill