Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 05:04 AM   #1

grease seals and bearings

I have a winniedrop 170s trailer and took the wheels off to pack the bearings.
I couldn't get the grease seal off and ended up destroying it.

I am having a hard time finding the grease seal and was wondering if anyone else might know of a good source to buy this and maybe the bearings as well.
very difficult to make out the numbers on the seal..

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seal info.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	172320   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle info.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	172321  

chelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You probably don't have to worry about a specific dealer (Winnie) to find your bearings..almost all of the trailers I have come across have the Timken taper roller style bearings and they can easily be matched up to the grease seal...any good brg store and even the Farm n Fleet stores would carry these..You can measure the outer part and then determine what size your axle shaft is.... take all your stuff to the store ..get someone to help you re measure buy some good synth axle grease and your good to go...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

thank you

I actually had a difficult time to find anybody here in our area.
I also emailed lippert the mfg of the axle and I was really surprised to have gotten some excellent service. the lady emailed me the bearing kit (29.00) per wheel and also gave me all the timken part numbers i needed based of the axle info i send her.

i went through several stores when someone finally recommended kaman industries who had a store here and was able to get all the parts for just a little more but these are also the timken parts not sure what their kit included.

i also order a seal tool for 13.00 from amazon. the seal was so stuck i ended up cutting it and finally able to get it out. i took pics first but the numbers were difficult to decipher.

thank you for your reply. glad i found this site.

thanks again

Ted
Old 10-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

On trailers there are only a handful of different sized seals and most Norther Tool Stores carry most of them as do most Napa and similar auto parts stores.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #5

thank you

the first store i went to was napa, they were completely clueless. And that is my favorite store to go to.
kaman industries had the right parts (Timken)
I also bought the right tools , so i won't have quite the same amount of trouble.

Lippert (Axle Mfg) was nice enough to email all the part numbers.

good to learn how to do this myself and not have to take it to the dealer, hoping they do the job right and leave it there for weeks.

Ted
Old 10-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Usually just the measurements are all that's required which a $10 set of digital calipers will tell you. I do a lot of trailer service for a local charity and after a while you begin to recognize the measurements and where your most likely to locally source them without relying on the expertise of the parts pushers behind the counter or trying to match a bearing by an exact make or model.

On the seal all you really need to know is the ID, OD and how thick. On the bearings its the same along with how many lbs capacity the axle is and if you want high speed which of course you do.

Very important too is to use the correct grease and not to mix and match without checking the compatibility chart since many are highly incompatible with one another and will turn from grease to grit when the pressure additives in two incompatible grease formulations adversely react to one another.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:07 AM   #7

Grease

Thank you

I bought a tub of high heat premium grease from autozone. is there a specific grease you all recommend?

Tags
seal