Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hello, We have a 95 Winnebago Adverturer 30 Ft

We just bought the Goodyear G670 225/70/19.5 tires. The tire states 95 PSI but I can feel every bump in the Road. What is the minimum tire pressure to stay in the weight requirements?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted -
Thanks
Betty/Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We just bought the Goodyear G670 225/70/19.5 tires. The tire states 95 PSI but I can feel every bump in the Road. What is the minimum tire pressure to stay in the weight requirements?

Thanks
Betty/Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Betty/Larry:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really need to know the front and rear weights of your coach. On a coach on a 16,000 chassis such as my previous coach, a 1995 Vectra 33RQ on a Chevy chassis, the tire pressures were 65 PSI which was well below the MAX PSI printed on the sidewall of the tire. I would suspect that you are substantially overinflated.

Your coach depending on the chassis Chevy or Ford has a MAX GVW of either 14,800 lbs or 15,200 lbs. You will need to know the actual weight at each wheel when your coach is loaded for travel with people, full tanks and gear, and then look up the PSI in the tire inflation chart at Goodyears web site to find the correct values.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have to agree with NeilV. The pressure the dealer put in your tires is the maximum the tires can handle.

Here's a link to the Goodyear RV tire load and inflation tables:
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

Depending on your weight you can go as low as 70 psi.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Betty/Larry ...

When you have your rig fully loaded with your "stuff", fuel, water, and all your passengers stop by the scales at a local truck stop ... they usually charge less than $10 to give you the total, front, and back axle weights.

In the midwest these scales are generally advertised with a great big CAT sign ... I don't know about California
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Betty/Larry:

any suggestions gratefully accepted -

I have the same tires on my '02 Adventurer 32V and they say 85 PSI...if that's any help
Old 04-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fossilhog:

any suggestions gratefully accepted -

I have the same tires on my '02 Adventurer 32V and they say 85 PSI...if that's any help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,

The tire that Betty and Larry have will support around a 20,000 lb chassis when inflated to 95 psi. You tires with a max psi of 85 would be for about an 18,000 lb chassis at best. Betty and Larry have somewhere around a 15,000 lb chassis so they require less air pressure to keep the tire flat on the road and ride properly. According to the chart they should have 8R19.5 tires inflated to around 65 lbs however it looks like 225/70/19.5 tires have been installed as a substitution so they might have to meet the 70 psi minimum listed for that size instead.

The psi rating listed on the sidewall does not indicate the correct inflation pressure for the coach but usually indicates the max pressure the tire can take.