Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Frozen Emergency brake help needed

Hi-
We have a 2004 Winnebago Brave 34D on a Workhorse chassis. It has been sitting, unused for 18 months and now the Ebrake is frozen. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Dave in NH (KOPQ)
KOPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Chock the tires, release the EBrake, and then use a hammer to try and pop the shoes loose if you can get at them. If not n you can get at the drum hit the drum, but don;t beat on it. Sometimes they can be jarred loose.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Is the e-brake frozen or is the automatic parking brake pump not operating?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Had a Damon Daybreak and same thing happen turn to be the pump
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOPQ View Post
Hi-
We have a 2004 Winnebago Brave 34D on a Workhorse chassis. It has been sitting, unused for 18 months and now the Ebrake is frozen. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Dave in NH (KOPQ)
Dave,
I'm not familiar with the '04 Winne Brave. And, not all that familiar with Workhorse chassis's either. But, with that limited information, I'm going to assume that it's a GAS coach, correct? If so, then I'm also going to assume it has one of those GM "Auto park brake" components, correct? I've heard of problems with t those auto-park brake systems. I don't have an answer for you but, I'm always learning things so, it will be interesting in learning which system you have and, what the remedy is.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I think it could be that your brake shoes are stuck to the drums, I would start by rocking it back and forth gently. As someone else said use a hammer. Penetrating oil sprayed in may help if you can get in to the area that is stuck.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Check out Oemy's write-up at this link.... http://oemys-performance.com/media/j72%20autopark.pdf
Hope that helps. There is a section on PB not releasing section 5-6.
Good Luck.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Chock the tires, release the EBrake, and then use a hammer to try and pop the shoes loose if you can get at them. If not n you can get at the drum hit the drum, but don;t beat on it. Sometimes they can be jarred loose.
Hi-
Thanks for the comments on my frozen brake problem. a hammer was my second choice. I was able to free the brakes by running/forcing the RV a liittle back and then foward a number of times. Each time it would move a bit more. After a couple minutes of that they were moving pretty well.

Thanks again,

KOPQ in Nh
Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the link.

KOPQ
Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the "use a hammer tip." But, while setting up to do just that, I tried another suggestion to try rocking the rig back and forth. After 30 seconds- nothing; after 60 seconds some move ment; and by 2 minutes they were working well enough to take it around the block...read trip. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Is the e-brake frozen or is the automatic parking brake pump not operating?
I guess I didn't give enough information in my original post. The 2004 Winni Brave on a Workhorse chassis does not have any pump for the emergency brake that I could find. Seems to me that my older 1999 model Safari Trek built on a GM P30 chassis did have a more complicated emergency brake.

Thanks for the input which got me going on what would freeze the rear wheels.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

What wheelbase is it? I thought only the 156 inch wheel base 15,000 GVWR models did not have the APB, all others came with it. Although they did move the APB pump location in about 2001 from under the frame where your '99 Trek would have it, to just forward of the firewall where the drivers left foot rests on the P32 chassis, and I think in a similar place for the W series chassis.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake