Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have been unable to find in my manuals a description of how to remove the front wheel covers. I have a 2006 Adventurer 38J. I know that some of the faux lugs are fixed and some come off, but that is all I know. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have been unable to find in my manuals a description of how to remove the front wheel covers. I have a 2006 Adventurer 38J. I know that some of the faux lugs are fixed and some come off, but that is all I know. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On my Sightseer, there are 2 lug nuts opposite each other with dimples on them indicating they are the ones that come off. There was a special wrench supplied that fit them (I don't remember if it originally was in the "black bag" or in one of the basements). It was a simple socket wrench with a T handle.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

There are three faux lug nuts, with dimples. Pull them off with your hands. Then use the T-handle lug nut remover to remove the (3) nuts for the covers.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #5

FYI - I would invest in a socket that fits the lugs that hold your wheel cover on. That little "T" wrench is worthless when it comes to torqing them back on. I know, I thought I had them on tight and lost a wheelcover along the road somewhere. I invested in a large, heavy duty driver and the socket to fit. Works great!
The "dimples" are line indentations along the sides of your faux lug nuts. I only have two on each cover - opposite of each other.
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Just re-checked my wheels: 22.5" wheels, with eight faux lugnuts, three of which are removable & dimpled (round dimples) with retaining nuts underneath. Might need more than bare hands to wiggle-remove the faux nuts. If you use adjustable pliers to grab them, put a rag on the faux nut to preclude scratching.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 12-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I tried everything to get the nut covers off and they would not budge. So I took no18yes's advice and bought a 3/4" 20 inch socket handle and a 1 9/16" socket. With this tool over the chrome nuts they both came off together with no effort at all. I then used it to tighten them snug after replacing the cover. I am keeping this setup in the coach for the future.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The faux nut covers are not intended to come off on that unit. The nut and cap are staked together as one piece, and 4 of the 8 are holding on the cover. As for requiring a new socket and handle, the newer ones supplied with the unit are tubular 3/4" shafts and much stronger than the old 1/4" solid shafts, and come with an extension handle so that it can be used to tighten and release the nuts.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mine is an 06 model and the tool that came with it was woefully inadequate. I bent the handle on the tool using the extension and still could not get it to budge. I agree with you, I can't see how my chrome nuts would ever separate from the steel nut. On my front cover though there are only 2 that hold on the cover. Perhaps there are 4 on the rear ones?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:24 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The faux nut covers are not intended to come off on that unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be a change between 03 & 06 models. Sorry for the wrong info.

Thudman