Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Front suspension (IFS) issues...

Good morning all,
Yesterday, while motoring down highway 17 in North Carolina on a clear, dry day I had to REALLY get on the brakes due to a little young lady in a SUV pulling right in front of me. When I got on the brakes I almost lost control due to the coach pulling first left and then right. Fortunately, I was able to maintain control of the RV, (not my mouth), but now want to get this checked out by a good chassis shop on my way south toward Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop that can handle my 2002 UA 40 with the Spartan IFS Mountain Master chassis?
cangel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Is On the brakes really hard the only time it pulls to one side?? if so it sounds like you should be looking at the brakes not the suspension.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your response.
Good point and I should have mentioned my concern about the brakes,
But the pulling was first on one side then the other with no pause between the incidents.
I'm going to get her into a shop soon but I'm trying to locate a good one for IFS and Spartan.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

There is a shop in Jacksonville, FL that is reported to be good. It's at the NW corner of W. Beaver St and McDuff AVe. The name is either Truck Pro or Horton's.
The Spartan shop in Jacksonville is Cummins Southeast at Commonwealth exit on I 295.

Let us know how you come out
Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

There may not be anything "wrong" with your rig. It may be worth looking at, but perhaps the 'traction' between road and tire, or the road surface was the fault.

If you had said it pulled hard to just 1 side, then yes, likely something wrong. But you said both directions.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to Mekanic, mr300ce, and KIX. I'll be stopping at the Cummins South location in Jacksonville in another day or so. Hopefully nothing is too far off the mark and the weird handling problem was just a "minor" issue.
Thanks again...
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I wonder if you had a momentary ABS activation and that added to the issue.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

There are other threads discussing this issue, normally described as an audible "pop" from the right front on hard braking followed by a noticeable (momentary?) pull to the right and perhaps an increase in braking power. Many of us will be very interested in any findings.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Red face

Hi there AFChap. I'll let you know what turns up at the shop. The folks at Spartan Chassis suggested a shop in Ft. Lauderdale where I'll be in another day or so. I will leave the RV with them for a few days (weeks) and wait for their diagnosis. I'm hoping for good luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #10

We Had our Ultimate, Freightliner in A truck shop ; In Seattle it is called Fosters frame and wheel they do mostly big trucks.They done a complete Front end. With all parts.+ Remove and replace the Red top steering sector that I had Rebuilt It was under $1000.00 ; Now for the rest of the story;; Number one;; Go to a Truck shop. Number Two;;; DO not skimp On The price ;; That is the Houses Foundation. And comming down off a mountian pass it is an affual feeling when something goes wrong because you saved a Few dollers on the Repair job.. We had blow outs 2 of on tires that were under 4 years old. Both at speeds of over 65 MPH. Now I replace the tires at 3 years;; Then the guy says I can't afford that;; Tell me that when you went off the side of a mountain Couse your 6 year old tire blew out , and you say well it had lots of thread on it;; Pardner that is missleading and don't mean squatt; I know I went off the subject ;; We lost a vary nice couple that burned up in there motorhome; After it left the road;; Life is good;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension