Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The steering wheel on my Journey is not clocked correctly when driving straight down the road. Is there an adjustment that I can make without taking it in to Freightliner. The top of the wheel is at a 2 o'clock position as opposed to the normal 12 o'clock.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The steering wheel on my Journey is not clocked correctly when driving straight down the road. Is there an adjustment that I can make without taking it in to Freightliner. The top of the wheel is at a 2 o'clock position as opposed to the normal 12 o'clock.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there an adjustment that I can make without taking it in to Freightliner. The top of the wheel is at a 2 o'clock position as opposed to the normal 12 o'clock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same problem and resolved it by pulling the steering wheel and repositioning it on the splined stearing gear shaft. I thought that it might affect the knockoff for the turn signals, but it didn't. Probably was positioned wrong during initial assembly at Freightliner. It only needed to be moved one notch on the spline of the steering wheel shaft to correct it.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I sure wouldn't try to "fix" it until after having the front alignment checked/adjusted with the coach loaded as you normally travel. That alone just might fix the problem. If it is still off after a correct alignment has been done, then consider a fix.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you're going to have an alignment done, then have the steering wheel centered at the same time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Some good advice here.

When I bought my new Sightseer I took it in and asked to have the alignment checked. They thought I was crazy to have the alignment checked on a new rig but I told them to humor me and check it anyway. The alignment was way out. They had to put wedges in to pull it to factory specs. On some rigs they can adjust the steering wheel when they adjust alignment. That is not true for the Ford Chassis.

As for steering wheel alignment I don't know anything about Freightliner but on a Ford you pull the steering wheel and reposition it on the splines. I did mine and my steering wheel is nearly straight now.

Good Luck.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I am pretty sure there is an adjustment for steering wheel centering from underneath. Had it done on my Class C when I had it in for an alignment. Never had to pull the steering wheel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Sammie: During my pre-sign the final papers drive my steering wheel was way off from the proper adjustment. The mechanic at the dealer fixed it in a few minutes from underneath, did not effect alignment as I test drove it again. Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all. I think I will take your advice and wait until I get my first alignment done. Then get them to correct the steering wheel.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Sammie - Have the same problem with my 2004 Meridian. Am gradually working the wheel back from about 1 0'clock, little adjustment at a time. There is a large rod (drag link)connecting the steering box back to the tie rod. Turning this has no affect on the front end alignment (I checked with a front end shop before turning it), you just have to loosen two clamps and determine which way to turn the rod. I'm doing it about 1/2 turn at a time and checking the next time I'm on the road. Getting closer to 12 o'clock. Turning the tie rod that connects both front wheels is the only one that affects toe-in alignment.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sammie -
Shortly after I bought my new 2005 Journey in 2006 (leftover), I loaded it up and took it to Freightliner for a total alignment asking that the steering wheel be centered. The steering wheel was still off (about the same as yours) when I picked it up and I had to take it back again. They said they might remove and reposition the steering wheel, but the technician was able to adjust it without removing the steering wheel. It took about 15 minutes and is perfect now.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Had mine done during alignment....adjustment was made at the drag link.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote