Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Filling HWH Hydraulic Tanks

Checked the levels of the HWH hydraulic tank today and it appears to be a tad-bit low. The hole where the dip stick goes is really inaccessible. I can reach it but I can't see it to know I'm in the access hole to fill it. Anyone have a trick or technique on how to fill these things without making a huge mess (i.e. a small mirror, syringe, plastic hose, etc.). I'm using the access door which is small in itself. Really difficult to get two arms in it. Anyone try to come in from underneath? Any help would be appreciated. l plan to add a little Dextron III...
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Not knowing your coach . I was first faced with the same problem .
In my Journey it's under the steps . At first I thought only one step folds up .
I then realized the one above it folds also .
That solved my problem . Also that made it easy to clean it up !
Although Id recommend using the HWH fluid .
I purchased a small bottle in Camping World .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:28 PM   #3

After 10 years I would recommend you change the fluid.

...And yeah I know they say the HWH hydraulic fluid never needs changing, but I don't buy in that any more than I trust Allision who says their TES295 (Dexron III) fluid will last the life of the engine. (BS)

Specifically, the fluid itself may not breakdown, since there is no heat involved, but that does not mean you don't get moisture or rust or other debris in your lines that can cause other problems. So as part of my PM this last summer I changed all these "holes" with the help of a scavenge pump.

...And if you have a large steering pump and/or fan clutch reservoir that also takes Dexron III. ...And it's very difficult to add fluid in my engine bay where this reservoir is located.

So maybe you have several fluid change projects in your future, that will not cost you that much to do yourself. ...And maybe after you change your fluids you will notice some improvement like I did. ...You might not, but if you do you will become a believer that these "forever" fluids are only forever if we are talking about the original owner. I.e., how many owners has your RV had?

Here's a thread that will detail my suggestions on how to use a $20 12V scavenge pump to accomplish these tasks:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...wh-358105.html

PS
While you are doing a PM on your HWH system, you might decide to add a ground wire to your HWH pump Motor. These things are notorious for having bad grounds. I also removed the two 5" screws and cleaned them to be sure I got the best ground I could. (Do this one screw at a time!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 Horizon HWH Pump Motor Parker Part # RAP91243.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	175417   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH System.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	175418  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH 310 System Pump Motor (Side View).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	175419  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm echoing here about the small relatively inexpensive 12-volt pump.

I pumped out all the old fluid into a container that's destined for the recycle center.

I pumped new fluid into the white plastic reservoir through the top opening. To keep from overflowing, I shined a flashlight through the translucent plastic tank. The drill is pump, check, pump, check....until filled.

All of these procedures were done with the jacks up and the slides in.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I added just under a qt of HWH fluid to my Class C about 3 years ago using a manual pump from West Marine (Mercury Quicksilver gear lube pump.) The pump screwed right onto the bottle of HWH fluid and after I managed to get the cover off the reservoir (with a lot of patience, etc) I got the outlet end of the pump hose into the reservoir and it all worked well and with very little mess. The pump was cheap enough that I just discarded it, assuming (hate that word) that I will not need to add fluid for another few years.

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=gear+lube+pump

Had I known about the multi-use electric pump I may have gone that route.... slick.

Stay safe.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:10 AM   #6
2002 Journey WPK36GD

My 2 ¢

Last winter my 2002 Journey 36DL LR slide would not retract: It made all the right noises. Fixing it was beyond my pay grade so I called the local respected RV repair company. After fussing with it for a week ± it was fixed. The "shuttle" valve was bad.

In that time I learned a lot but the key point here is a tip from Stuart's HWH Service. With the jacks up and slides in, any pink you see that is up up to the bottom line is ok since Journey tank size holds more than sufficient fluid for the slides and jacks. DO NOT OVERFILL.

As for me, I spend the 15 minutes to remove the cover plate for the motor / valve assembly. This allows easy access to the dipstick. It is easy to over-fill the tank and if you do over fill the previously mentioned evacuator works good but a soda straw will work too (a little at a time).

CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, hydraulic, tank