Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello all happy new year. I got my 03 Journy out last night to stay at a party 300 Cummins
when slowing from 55mph with the exhuast brake all was good until I started to move again no power black smoke ck engine light on. The engine will idle normal no miss (exhuast brake not returning )??? I have looked at this engine a can"t find the brake should be exhaust after the turbo exhuast side,I think it needs the hammer test I would just like to drive it to get worked done not towed. Any help thanks this did happen in 07 so maybe my luck will change!!
N6560J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello all happy new year. I got my 03 Journy out last night to stay at a party 300 Cummins
when slowing from 55mph with the exhuast brake all was good until I started to move again no power black smoke ck engine light on. The engine will idle normal no miss (exhuast brake not returning )??? I have looked at this engine a can"t find the brake should be exhaust after the turbo exhuast side,I think it needs the hammer test I would just like to drive it to get worked done not towed. Any help thanks this did happen in 07 so maybe my luck will change!!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum. The purpose of my post is to keep it on the first page until one our diesel exhaust brake guys sees it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Welcome and Happy New Year to you too, N6560J!

I'm no Cummins expert, but when I was researching my purchase in '04, the Cummins exhaust brake function was performed by moving the vanes of the turbo. This may have been a newer version of the ISB to meet '04 emission standards, but if you can't see a separate brake, this may be the case for yours especially if you can see some sort of actuator attached to the turbo...

Good luck in '08!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks I think my exhuast brake is some kind of turbo control in front of the turbo unable to find any actuator in the exhuast sys. I looked at it again today and I think the egr valve is stuck open. When the engine is first started cold the egr tube gets hot fast at idle I don"t think this valve should be open cold idle ???
Thanks again sure wish I could read the ck engine light code thanks again.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem with my ISL, but didn't have a check engine light. Turned out to be a bad engine ECM. I would get someone to check your fault codes. Mine was low voltage to the ECM. I had the same symptoms you had, but if I restarted the engine the ECM would reset.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I don't think the exhaust brake would cause black smoke from the exhaust. It sounds like the engine is getting too much fuel or injector timing problem. Let us know when you find the problem.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just got my Journy out of the shop EGR valve stuck open.RV was just in the shop 75 miles ago to have a broken exhuast manifold replaced at that time they also replaced the torbo charger becuase of engine control codes,at that time I was told about a memory code not active EGR code and Cummins would not replace it. 3 weeks later 75 miles down the road after a stop with the engine brake it will not move. EGR valve replace under 100,000 warrenty no help with $565 tow bill!! I also called Cummins no help!!
The EGR valve is a well known problem in Dodge trucks. If you have this motor with anything over 15,000 miles have a engine control test done at your next service. Thank you for the interest great info and help best of luck to all.