Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone experienced a "jerkiness" when using the exhaust brake in the mountains?
Jean & Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone experienced a "jerkiness" when using the exhaust brake in the mountains?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The only jerkiness I can tell is when you engage the exhaust brake the transmission starts shifting down toward 2nd gear as soon as speed allows, and whenever you touch the footfeed it will upshift to the comparable gear for which you have been traveling. This will go on up and down the gears as you are decending the slope as you touch and release the throttle. Its always trying to get down to 2nd gear when the exhaust brake is engaged. I don't particularly care for this action, I think 2nd gear is too low. 3rd seems better but I've heard you can get this reprogramed for an expensive service call but when I call Allison they said no. Another one of these diesel conditions where no two parties have the same answer and noone knows what is correct. This is my first diesel and after growing up in a gasoline garage with Dad, and driving gas for 50 years where everything was pretty cut & dried, these diesels are very confusing.
Hope some of this helps and not just adds confusion to the situation.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
2001 Jeep Wrangler
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What I would really like to see is separate switches for the exhaust brake and the transmission retarded. Then you could select just the exhause brake or both.

Rich
Old 08-23-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The previous post should read retarder not retarded. One refers to the transmission the other to me.

Rich
Old 08-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The Journey and the Meridian (and the Horizon and Vectra for that matter) don't have anything beyond an exhaust brake. As I recall, you can set the ....... whoops, which engine/tranny do you have? ISB/5 speed or C7/6 speed. There might be a difference. I have C7 6 speed. I do not have a transmission retarder - that is only found on very upscale models and you surely don't have on on your 36G. They now have a grade brake for gassers but that was certainly not around in 04.

The transmission is mated to the exhaust brake in that it will downshift at set points - but it will NOT downshift if your revs are too high in order to prevent over-revving. This is all described in the Allison Manual. If you wish you can set a range and then it will not shift below that until the revs drop substantially. Also described in the manual.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You might also check your mode switch. If you are not in economy mode it will shift down earlier on hills and I believe under braking as well.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, everyone. I think the separation of the brake and transmission retarder would be a great addition.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jean & Leroy:
Has anyone experienced a "jerkiness" when using the exhaust brake in the mountains? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jean and Leroy: I have an '05 Meridian 36G, and have the same "problem" with the exhaust brake. When "on", taking foot off the accelerator, the transmission drops to 2nd, and doesn't go through the gears, resulting in a jerking. I am trying to find out if this can be changed.
Stan Kohagen
Stan Kohagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
You might also check your mode switch. If you are not in economy mode it will shift down earlier on hills and I believe under braking as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don, I have the same problem with my '05 Itasca Meridian. Thanks for the suggestion about the mode switch--I would never have thought of it, and certainly the Allison manual tells you nothing.
Stan Kohagen
Stan Kohagen is offline   Reply With Quote