Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Electric brake controller connection to F53 chassis

Hi everyone. My first time posting and although I tried to find my answer on the forum, it's kind of daunting if you don't know where to start. I have a 2015 Itasca Sun Star on a 2014 F53 chassis with factory 7 pin tow wiring. I want to pull a tow dolly and therefore need the brake controller. I was looking at the Prodigy P2, but according to eTrailer they don't have a plug and play adapter harness to go from the P2 to the motorhome. However, one of their tech guys says the#3035 will work.
I have a call into Tekonsha and they have their tech guys investigating. So, I thought I'd turn to the folks who may actually know.
So, is there a plug and play for this application or might have to but the right connector (with incorrect pin location) and rearrange the pins?

Help. Thanks
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Upinsmoke, I just when out and looked at the trailer brake connector on our coach and it has 6 pins and looks like the 3035-P would work.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mine came with a pigtail that you attach to the controller by splicing wires, then it plugs into the other pigtail under the steering wheel.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Just Trying to Help

Upinsmoke-

The Ford F53 chassis comes from the factory with a 6-pin connector under the dash (left of the steering wheel) for an electric brake controller. Assuming Winnebago hasn't done anything odd, the wiring from that connector should go to the rear of the coach and terminate on the correct pins there. You can find the standard pinout for your hitch connector at this link.

The Tekonsha 3035-P adapter should be the one to get.

NOTE: Ford does not provide a 12V charge line. That is left up to the coach builder to provide- in this case, Winnebago.

Oh, and

:welcome:
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the replies, I knew I could count on the forum. The MH did come with the adapter wire from Ford, I was trying to avoid having to splice/butt connect the wiring. Not through laziness, but it's not my strong suit, and I'd like to make sure it's dependable. I will however, order the #3035 adapter with the P2 and see how it goes. Thanks
Now, I know there will be pro's and con's but any thoughts on the P2, other Tekonsha products, or controllers in general?
I will re-post once I get it hooked up and let everyone know how it went - thanks again.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
Thanks for the replies, I knew I could count on the forum. The MH did come with the adapter wire from Ford, I was trying to avoid having to splice/butt connect the wiring. Not through laziness, but it's not my strong suit, and I'd like to make sure it's dependable. I will however, order the #3035 adapter with the P2 and see how it goes. Thanks
Now, I know there will be pro's and con's but any thoughts on the P2, other Tekonsha products, or controllers in general?
I will re-post once I get it hooked up and let everyone know how it went - thanks again.
I had the P2 when towing a TT with a VW Touareg SUV a few years ago and it worked great. After installing, get out on a dirt or gravel road and adjust the controller so the trailer brakes just begin to lock up when braking, then back off the setting until they don't, and you are set up. Just make sure to follow the mounting instruction requirements so as far within level and within straight facing forward it needs to be. As noted there should be a bag with your RV with the pigtail cable, it originally would have been in your Winnebago owners manual bag, to plug into the Ford F53 6 pin connector to connect to the brake controller wires.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

IIRC, I was given a brake controller wire harness in the Info-Suitcase with my 2015 Suncruiser - also on a F53. One again IIRC, they told me to hang onto it in case I ever needed a brake controller. I have not installed one since I flat tow with a Brake Buddy.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:47 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Yes, I also have the factory harness connector but for dependability purposes, I was hoping to not have to splice in or use butt connectors on it. I've ordered the #3035P adapter and will report back as to how things worked out. Worst case, I'll use the one From Winne and wire the best I can. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Brake harness final version

I ordered and installed the 3035P wiring harness (adapter) which has connections on each end and plugs into the Prodigy and the connection on the MH. After mounting the controller and weaving the wire under the dash, it was completed. I've taken it on a couple of trips and, as far as I know, it's working perfectly. I'm going to chalk this up as a happy ending.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on your success. We had a hard time finding the right patch cord for our F53 chassis and Prodigy controller apparently there are three different ones made for the F53. Our repair guy just kept trying them until he found the right one. Now everything works fine and I notice a big improvement in braking when the car is on the dolly.

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 32H
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, chassis, f53