Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Purchased our first MH, 1994 Itasca Sunrise 11,000 miles P-30 chasis. I'm at witts end on getting this thing to stop wandering even when automobiles pass. I have installed Bilsteins on all corners,bilstein steering shock,SafeTsteer stabilizer,SuperSteer bell cranks,Henderson rear stabilizer bar,checked ride height,2" with 65 psi in front air bags,had a truck frame/frontend shop replace all worn upper arm bushings and ball joints etc. and then a frontend alignment,tried front tire air pressures from 65 to max 80 psi, ran with 0 levels in all holding tanks. The wife will not drive it and I have to pre-compensate for when being passed by vehicles. "ANY" tips or ideas will be"GREATLY" appreciated! From the weekend warriors,Steve and Karen. P.S. We "REALLY" enjoy the IRV2 web site and "You-alls" sharing your camping knowledge with us green horns>
Old 05-29-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Purchased our first MH, 1994 Itasca Sunrise 11,000 miles P-30 chasis. I'm at witts end on getting this thing to stop wandering even when automobiles pass. I have installed Bilsteins on all corners,bilstein steering shock,SafeTsteer stabilizer,SuperSteer bell cranks,Henderson rear stabilizer bar,checked ride height,2" with 65 psi in front air bags,had a truck frame/frontend shop replace all worn upper arm bushings and ball joints etc. and then a frontend alignment,tried front tire air pressures from 65 to max 80 psi, ran with 0 levels in all holding tanks. The wife will not drive it and I have to pre-compensate for when being passed by vehicles. "ANY" tips or ideas will be"GREATLY" appreciated! From the weekend warriors,Steve and Karen. P.S. We "REALLY" enjoy the IRV2 web site and "You-alls" sharing your camping knowledge with us green horns>
Old 05-30-2005, 04:26 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I used to keep 75psi in my front air bags. I had a 33' and a 34' MoHo before buying this one. The coil springs may be worn out also. How is rhe weight distrabution front to rear?
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like you have done most of the required items to the chassis. When we had a P-30, the single biggest improvement was Steer Safe, not the Safety Plus. Have some friends that went with the Super Coil front springs put in to replace the weak springs and air bags. We also found the rear air bags helped.

Also check out the Texas Boomers under the South Central Section. Active bunch of campers in your area.

Ken
Old 05-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the response guys! I know the front air bags were replaced at the r/v shop during their checkout prior to me picking up the MH. Don't really know how to inspect the front coils to see if they are still within specs. I'll weight the axles on some public scales next week. This unit did come with rear air bags and factory calls for 65 psi. Thanks for the info about the "Texas Boomers". Happy to camping to "you-all"
Old 05-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

don't know about 94 but my 88 was designed to wander. I put everything I could think of on the thing with no real improvement except maybe when I put on different tires can't remember exactly but they were same as the ones that came out on the 99s. After a few years Ikinda got use to it. I seemed to have better control when driveing with one hand
herbtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Steve like everyone has said you have covered all the bases. The weight question is the only one left. The front axel may need more weight to keep a good foot print on the road. Adjusting air bags will only level coach not correct tracking problems. Your coach is only 28' shouldn't have much of a overhang over rear tires to cause all your problems. After its weight let us know weights of each axel an type tires you have for correct air pressures. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Just my luck, the previous owner had just installed new tires. Can't remeber the brand name ( one that I've never heard of before). I'll post the axle weights next week and check with you guys for advice on tire pressure settings. Not too shure about driving with one hand yet, seems like I need both hands and feet on the wheel when those big rigs pass. Maybe just not use to how these HM handle yet. Thanks for the replies! Happy Camping To "You-All"