Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dealer called and said no spare tire for my ordered 35J 22.5 tires

Do any of you have a 35J with the 22.5 inch tires it was a option for us and are ordered is in place ariving around the end of May 9 weeks because of the full body paint is a extra week.. They said that the cut out door location only fits the 19.5 tires and it comes from the factory with no spare. My Question is could you just but a 22.5 tire no rim and still fit it into the storage area or not. So if we had a blow out in the middle of no where we would at least have a replacement tire. Thanks
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would say no to that. We havw 22.5 tires and could no get in storage bau. We had a welder/fab shop make a tire rack under the chassie. We bought a tire (no rim) from Sam's club (best price) and feel better with it.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I do not know of anybody who carries a spare, Coach-Net takes care of this. If you had a blow out you need a service to change it anyway, they are heavy and require more torque than you probably apply.

Forget the tire and enjoy the extra storage space.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Yes, Coachnet or Goodsam will bring a tire if you don't have one. However you will not have any say in what kind it is. You could pay $300 for a Chinese clunker tire that you may have to toss when you get to a tire dealer.

I carry an unmounted spare but its a personal choice. Measure your opening and measure one of your tires to determine if one will fit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My 2008 J came with a spare (19.5 though and it is a tight fit in that compartment). Glad I had it a few months ago. My Coach Net guy came: only tool was a breaker bar and a lug nut socket and a bottle jack. Didn't have the socket to remove the wheel cover, but I did. No air compressor and no other tools. Oh, and he only had 1 arm. That said, he had me back on the road a half hour after arriving and I was impressed that he was working instead of sitting on a couch. Tipped him generously.

Not sure where he would have found a replacement tire on a Sunday where we were.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our 07 Tiffin came without a spare. Having been 'stuck' waiting for an appropriate replacement once, I was determined to carry one with me. I found a gentilman that was making a carrier that slid into the reciever hitch. The hitch function was retained by simply extending the receiver part under the carrier. The lockdown clamp was simply some heavy square one inch tube welded vertically behind the spare, with another square tube, who's inside dimensions matched the outside dimension of the one welded to the base, slid over it. There was a very long threaded rod that had also been welded to the base and it came up through the middle of the assembly. It had a big washer and nut on top. This was snugged up to hold the tire down. The outer tube had a short length welded to it that came horizontally forward , with another long bolt or threaded rod running through it that allowed you to snug up the small plate that held the tire from the front. To the base, under the tire, some plate had been welded to form a flat bottomed 'V', the tire sat in this.

Unfortunately he has apparently gone out of business, but it would be very easy to duplicate with even the most basic of fabrication and welding skills. I'm attaching the only photo I can come up with. We no longer own the MH.
Attached Images

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

ct78barnes,
Yes, a 255/80R22.5 will fit into one of my storage compartments. It is awkward and takes the whole section of the storage bay, but will fit. See photo. But I dont carry my spare there, I carry it under the chasis. See photo.
hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391[2].jpg
Views:	213
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	8869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	8870  

jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My Damon Intruder also came w/o a spare tire... Truthfully. I don't need one. With emergency road service and services that will bring a brand new tire TO YOU and install it WHILE YOU WATCH, you do not truly need a spare. You need a collection of 1-800 type numbers, but that is all.

Also, since my rig is a gasser, the Spare, if I had one, would do major damage to my CCC

That said.. If you truly insist on a spare, and a place to park it.. You can get spare tire lift/mount kits that fit your hitch receiver and which extend the receiver so you can still pull a towed car.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct78barnes View Post
Do any of you have a 35J with the 22.5 inch tires it was a option for us and are ordered is in place ariving around the end of May 9 weeks because of the full body paint is a extra week.. They said that the cut out door location only fits the 19.5 tires and it comes from the factory with no spare. My Question is could you just but a 22.5 tire no rim and still fit it into the storage area or not. So if we had a blow out in the middle of no where we would at least have a replacement tire. Thanks
i carry a used 19.5" unmounted spare in a storage compartment. i squished it an inch or so with a ratchet strap so that the door would close and to keep it from moving.
i have aaa+rv coverage and they will mount the spare if necessary to get me to a dealer where i can get a new michelin rv tire.
i carry a harbor freight 600'# torque wrench and 3/4'' drive sockets (33mm for lug nuts, 1 3/16'' for wheel covers) and an air compressor. i have a harbor freight ''earthquake'' 625'# pneumatic wrench too.
if a service person installs your wheel, make sure the lug nuts are torqued to 475'#. the torque needs to be rechecked within 1000 miles.
incidentally, i really like my tst tire pressure/temperature indicating system and my psiclops inflator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00492.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	8888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00491.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	8889  

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have the 37L with the 22.5 tires.... There is no room in any of the compartments to store a spare, but if I were inclined to do so, there would be room to fabricate some sort of holder underneath the rear overhang behind the rear axle. However if I did do that, I would want it mounted to a rim, which would be awful heavy. If it was just the tire, I would want it wrapped in something to keep out the water and road debris...

I figure, I'll just take my chances and call the road service should I ever have a flat....

Duane
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
We have the 37L with the 22.5 tires.... There is no room in any of the compartments to store a spare, but if I were inclined to do so, there would be room to fabricate some sort of holder underneath the rear overhang behind the rear axle. However if I did do that, I would want it mounted to a rim, which would be awful heavy. If it was just the tire, I would want it wrapped in something to keep out the water and road debris...

I figure, I'll just take my chances and call the road service should I ever have a flat....

Duane
there is not enough room between the frame rails on my moho for a spare tire.
my unmounted 245/70-19.5 spare weighs 75#.
you could use a partially inflated inner tube in the unmounted tire to keep debris out.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I have a 04 Adventurer 33V and it has a mounted spare underneath between the frame rails. The mounting looks stock to me. Was this "standard equipment" at that time?

Me personally would always want to carry a spare. I do also have good sam ERS.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My '10 Itasca 32K has a spare located in the underbed storage (accessed from outside). I really want that storage for other things. Looked underneath, and the slideout motors are located between the rails. I need to measure more carefully to see if it will fit, but doesn't look like much room for a winch for the tire. Other option would be to unmount the spare and make a different hanger. At least I would have a tire with me. Just bugs me that they advertise "underbed storage" and then shove the spare in there.

That said, I would rather have at least a tire with me. have heard too many horror stories of trying to get a tire in a timely fashion.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I would NOT leave home without a mounted spare... I have Good Sam but it doesn't do any good when you can't reach anyone on a cell phone. You don't want to be stranded here in the desert when it's 115°

Just think of how many times you DIDN'T have cell phone coverage while on the road
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I am going to go with a decent air compressor and a plug kit. Remember the weight of the 22.5 inch tires and the torques involved in removing and installing the tire will entail the use of a very large breaker bar or air tools and most likely a 3/4 inch drive.
This will get me back to town if I pick up a nail etc... I keep an eye on pressure so a blowout is unlikely.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I have a tire-mounted spare on my Itasca. While I have never had a flat or blow-out in all my years of RV traveling, when it does happen, it will be on a Saturday, after-hours, with no cell service. And with my luck, if I could get help, they won't be able to locate a replacement tire until the following Tuesday, as it will invariably be a holiday weekend!

I carry all the tools necessary so even if it's a struggle to get it changed, at least I can get it changed and out of harms way. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
I am going to go with a decent air compressor and a plug kit. Remember the weight of the 22.5 inch tires and the torques involved in removing and installing the tire will entail the use of a very large breaker bar or air tools and most likely a 3/4 inch drive.
This will get me back to town if I pick up a nail etc... I keep an eye on pressure so a blowout is unlikely.

Northern Industrial Torque Multiplier Set | Torque Wrenches | Northern Tool + Equipment
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

If you consider the worst that could happen -you'd be smart to carry a mounted spare. If you really need it, and don't have it...it will be a long time.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote