Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

"Crossfire Equallizer Valve" for Dually

Anyone using these? Looks like a good idea.

Crossfire - Dual Dynamics
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Team

There is plenty of good and bad posts about these on irv2.com.

It's popular with semi-truck drivers for their trailers.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Seems like a super efficient way to turn a flat into two flats.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Of course they don't turn a flat into two flats! They would be out of business long ago if they did!

I use 85 PSI Crossfires on my Vista 27N. Have been for 4 years. The valves cross connecting the inner and outer tires to keep the pressure equal opens 10 PSI below the Crossfire PSI rating. You also have an immediate visual indication that tire pressure is low as the indicator on the Crossfire that is normally Yellow or Red depending on if you have driven and warmed up tire yet or not becomes solid Black. If cold tire, if tire pressure is good the visual indicator is Yellow with a black line in the middle of the yellow that is centered in the window if the pressure is exactly the Crossfire pressure rating.

They make sure that inner and outer carry equal load under normal conditions. Makes inner and outer tires wear equally. One TPMS sensor per dual side on the Crossfire fill port. I set the TPMS alarm threshold at 78 PSI so I get an alert if either tire starts to lose air.

Some things I had to deal with :

The stamped chrome wheel simulators that Winnebago uses to decorate their steel rims has very sharp edges so I had to plastic sleeve the Crossfire lines going to the valve stems so they would not start to rub thru on the sharp wheel simulator edges.

The mounting brackets that come with the Crossfire don't directly bolt on the steel wheels with the decorative chrome wheel simulators. I drilled two holes in the center hub of the wheel simulator and used 2 stainless steel bolts and nuts to mount the Crossfire.

The default ends on the standard on-line orderable Crossfire lines are difficult to connect to the steel wheel valve stems, but it can be done with patience. You are supposed to be able to special order Crossfire with different ends that make it easier to connect, but I just made the standard ends work.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Of course they don't turn a flat into two flats! They would be out of business long ago if they did!

I use 85 PSI Crossfires on my Vista 27N. Have been for 4 years. The valves cross connecting the inner and outer tires to keep the pressure equal opens 10 PSI below the Crossfire PSI rating. You also have an immediate visual indication that tire pressure is low as the indicator on the Crossfire that is normally Yellow or Red depending on if you have driven and warmed up tire yet or not becomes solid Black. If cold tire, if tire pressure is good the visual indicator is Yellow with a black line in the middle of the yellow that is centered in the window if the pressure is exactly the Crossfire pressure rating.

They make sure that inner and outer carry equal load under normal conditions. Makes inner and outer tires wear equally. One TPMS sensor per dual side on the Crossfire fill port. I set the TPMS alarm threshold at 78 PSI so I get an alert if either tire starts to lose air.

Some things I had to deal with :

The stamped chrome wheel simulators that Winnebago uses to decorate their steel rims has very sharp edges so I had to plastic sleeve the Crossfire lines going to the valve stems so they would not start to rub thru on the sharp wheel simulator edges.

The mounting brackets that come with the Crossfire don't directly bolt on the steel wheels with the decorative chrome wheel simulators. I drilled two holes in the center hub of the wheel simulator and used 2 stainless steel bolts and nuts to mount the Crossfire.

The default ends on the standard on-line orderable Crossfire lines are difficult to connect to the steel wheel valve stems, but it can be done with patience. You are supposed to be able to special order Crossfire with different ends that make it easier to connect, but I just made the standard ends work.
You mean Valve stems aren't standard? I'm confused.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

> confused ...

"difficult to connect" ...

Note that this issue is seen on my Vista with 19'5" Ford OEM steel wheels, it may not apply to RVs using bigger wheels.

The issue is with the the end of one of the Crossfire air lines that has a 180 degree bend on the end of it for connecting to the outer wheel valve stem. The standard OEM valve stem on the Ford steel wheel does not provide adequate clearance for the air line with its 180 degree bend on the end to clear the rim enough so the end can easily go on the stem straight and easily thread on.

My easy resolution for this is to use Milton S-441 3/4" brass valve extension on the OEM length valve stems.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post

Very good link on this post as it shows lots of good info on why we often get different pressure on inner than outer duals.I have assumed it was airflow but had not thought about where the brakes are! On lots of tires the inner has the pads and those cause more heat!

Lots of good stuff about the way roads are sloped and the way it would effect the wear on tires that run lots of miles like trucks.

I do see a lot of these on trucks when we are stopped at rest areas for lucnch but never consdiered what I was seeing.

For what to expect a tire valve to be? That is a while field of it's own as we try to sort out what will make our TPMS best fit the wheels and rims we have!
What stem, extention and line with best fit seems to be a trial and error game and that may be where taking it to a shop where they have 30 different combos to try is worthwhile.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the comments. I think I will call crossfire, now that my TPMS has arrived. I'll try to make sure they have the right knowledge about my wheels, and can give me the right (best hoses).

Because of the weirdness of these Ford dually wheels and simulated covers, I am going to pay to have my local tire shop install the Crossfire and it's hoses. I noticed in the data that the best way to mount the hoses is with 180 degrees between them. This will require removing the outer wheel to obtain the right location. Since I am unable to unmount wheels on this RV, this is a job best for a tire shop.

I hope the crossfire can be obtained without too much delay.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post

Used them for 12 years on previous Country Coach and they did their job of equalizing pressure in inner/outer rear tires. Got a flat on outer dual once and it didn't drain the inner... Larry 2014 Reyo P.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ten plus years with them on a diesel and a gasser. They are great. Never had a problem with them..I agree with all the positive comments above...
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Appears to be a solid product with mostly positive reviews. I would have been a great addition to our Sprinter based RV which was a PIA to check/inflate the rear duals.

Our current RV (2020 ACE) came with OEM installed extensions and checking/inflating rear duals is a breeze. I a still considering to add the valves because of the visual pressure check feature. Just not sure what to use since cold pressure is 81 PSI.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have been using these for 3 years now... 82 PSI. I really cant feel any difference when running down the highway but it is handy when I do a walk around the rig and see that the duals are holding their pressure without having to bend over with a tire gage..and its interesting to note the difference in pressure when they sit in the shade or direct sunshine..actual tire pressures seem to be a compromise when they fluctuate from black to red on the crossfires depending on conditions...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote