Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Cooper Tires for Winnebago View?

Hello, I just joined the forum. I have a 2015 Winnebago View 24M and I’ve decided to replace my 215/85 16R Continental VanCo tires with 44k miles. Of course I would like Michelin tires, but Pep Boys had a huge sale and I locked into a buy 2 get 2 deal but only with Cooper Adventurer HT tires. I can get 50k tread life Cooper Tires for literally half what the Michelin tires would cost. A $750 savings gets my attention, but I’m not familiar with Cooper Tires. Does anyone have them on their rig?
Markaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We installed Cooper Roadmaster RM170 19.5" tires a couple of years ago on our Super C motorhome for around $350 each but plan to install Michelin LTX on our View when needed. Only because they are much smaller tires and cost much less.

On our two previous motorhomes with the 22.5" tires we paid $650 each at Costco.
The only issue we have always had is having to pickup the big tires whether they were delivered to our door or not, load them down the hallway of the motorhome and taking them 20 miles south to a truck shop for installation.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You might want to consider joining FMCA as you can get a substantial discount on Michelin and Continental tires.

It seems a bit early to be replacing tires on the View. Cooper tires would not be my first choice but if they are the same size and weight rating of the Continentals currently on the motorhome go ahead and use them.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I consider Cooper tires to be adequate but I do not look for on mileage tires on my RV. Shopping RV's shows me people rarely run 50,000 on an RV in the total time they own it, so I do not go too heavy for long miles as they tend to age out before wear out. Unless you have a special situation, do a realistic look at how far you are likely to drive the RV and base the miles part of the decision on that as it may be far different than on your cars.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Looks like a smart choice. I'd seriously consider them when looking for a new set of donuts for our 14 View Profile.

This is our second Sprinter based RV with OEM Continental Vanco 4Seasons. Their over all performance has been very good. Not too pricey. Quiet running. Long wearing considering they are RVs. If you got 44K + that's pretty darn good. Put a set of Contis on our minivan a few months back due to the favorable experience with the Vancos.

It is Crow's opine that tires are "durable" items. They have a life expectancy (treads wear & age). They can die anytime due to a road hazard. Spendy tires just don't make a lot of sense on an RV considering the usually low mileage.

Again, my opine is that there is a "special" relationship between Mercedes and Continental that goes back 100 years. They are both German companies. They collaborate on tire specifications for specific applications. Tires and suspension work together. So, maybe the Vanco 4Seasons is the best design for the Sprinter chassis.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, winnebago