Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #1

I have an Adventurer 37B R22 with Michelin 235 80 R22 tires. The mechanic at the dealership said the tires should be kept at 110 psi. The tire sidewall also says 110 psi. However Winnebago states that the tires should be inflated to 90 psi in the front and 85 psi in the rear. I would like to find out what people with similar tires use for tire pressure.
chazfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #2

I have an Adventurer 37B R22 with Michelin 235 80 R22 tires. The mechanic at the dealership said the tires should be kept at 110 psi. The tire sidewall also says 110 psi. However Winnebago states that the tires should be inflated to 90 psi in the front and 85 psi in the rear. I would like to find out what people with similar tires use for tire pressure.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

First thing you need to do Charlie is get the coach weighed (loaded as you would be traveling)You need to have the individual wheel weights. Then in your Winnebago "suitcase" should be a Michelin book which you can cross reference your tire size and wheel weights for the proper tire pressure.Best of luck with your new unit.

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, Eddie and Scarlett. I found the chart that you mentioned and will get the coach weighed.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Be aware that last year Michelin quietly revised their tire pressure chart, available on their website. They have increased all the recommended pressures by, I believe, 5 psi. Take a look and see if it's the same as your chart. I would recomment that you add 5 psi as a safety factor, up to but never exceeding the max tire pressure stanped on the sidewall.

On edit: here's a link to the Michelin page. Click on the tire inflation table link on the left side of that page for the pdf file.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #6

Capt. Bill, can you recommend a good air compressor that I can carry on the rig. I bought a Craftsman 3-gallon, 1.5 hp, 125 psi compressor but it will only inflate to 94 psi. That may be high enough but I won't know until I weigh the rig.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Charlie, the first one that came to mind, before I read your entire post, was the Sears. I thought that it would hit over 100 psi. Is there an adjustment on the regulator that's limiting it to 94?

I don't carry a compressor on board, other that one of those small electric one's good for a car tire. My diesel rig came with an air-hose connection and air hose, for inflating the motorhome tires.
Indian River, De
Old 01-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #8

It has an adjustment valve but I have it at max now. I will have to ask around, or send out a post. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would recomment that you add 5 psi as a safety factor, up to but never exceeding the max tire pressure stanped on the sidewall <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The latest edition of MotorHome MagazineHas an article on tire pressures that says that the pressure stamped on the sidewall of a motorhome tire is the minimum recomended pressure for that type of tire, whereas the pressure stamped into the sidewall of an automobile tire is the maximum pressure for that type of tire.

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:10 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Barney, I don't think that could be correct, or we'd all be running around with tires as hard as a rock with at least 110 psi in them. My Goodyear G670's are stamped MAX PRESSURE 125 psi, and the Goodyear load inflation table for that exact tire, ahs inflation pressures that range from 80 psi to the max 125, depending on the tires load. Other tire manufacturer's inflation tables are the same; that is, they start at some lower pressure for some specified weight, and go up to the max listed for that tire, which is what is stamped on the sidewall.
Indian River, De
Old 01-27-2005, 05:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

This is first response to any of the postings I have been reading for the past few months. First let me say how much valuable information I have picked by following this forum. I also tried the stated max. tire pressure on the sidewall of the same tires. My bones and everything else in my coach was shaken beyond a confortable ride. I then followed the mfg. recommended tire pressure on the door panel tag. 90 in the front and 85 in the back. Everything is fine now including my bones. When I was trying the 110 bls. of pressure I purchased a SEARS "Inflator" with a max pressure of 125 psi. This unit does not have a storage tank and it takes a while but it will inflate the tire to 110 lbs. psi. This usnit can be purchased as Sears for under $100.00. Good Luck
rjwdzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Captain Bill,

I read the same article as Barney did. What Barney sated is what the areticle said.

Personally I follow the inflation tables which on Michelins 255/80/22.5 is pretty high to carry the weight.

The Michelin tables are confusing because they keep messing around with the psi per weight.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The minimum pressure stamped on the sidewall is for for the maximum load rating of the tire stamped on the sidewall.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote