Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased a 2001 Chieftain but need to put new tires on it. It has 32,000 miles with the original tires (Goodyear G60's) Are there medium priced tires available and what brands, the dealer told me that Hankooks were good. Thanks
CANEFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased a 2001 Chieftain but need to put new tires on it. It has 32,000 miles with the original tires (Goodyear G60's) Are there medium priced tires available and what brands, the dealer told me that Hankooks were good. Thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry, my tire size is 245/ 70R 19.5 F rating
Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I would not skimp on tires, just my opinion for what it's worth.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I put Bridgestone tires on my 2000 35U. They worked out well. I figured that if Subaru used them on their new cars, they must be good
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You can price compare by stopping by a COSTCO. They have RV tires up to 22.5 but can only install up to 19.5
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If the original Goodyear G60's have lasted until Dec. 2008 I see no reason not replace them with Goodyear G60's. Are thry still made??

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Agree with the recommendation not to skimp on tires. Both Goodyear and Michelin make RV-specific tires but they are not cheap. Bridgestone makes a medium priced truck tire (RE250 I think). I put them on my 1997 Adventurer and they were a good tire.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
You can price compare by stopping by a COSTCO. They have RV tires up to 22.5 but can only install up to 19.5 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Costco wouldn't install 19.5. My local Sam's club would but did not have equipment to balance them.

Went to a truck place.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Which ever tire you buy, look at the DOT code on the tire before they mount them. The last four numbers are the week and year of manufacture. Example 1007 would be the 10 week of 2007, and 899 would be the 8th week of 1999. Tire shelf life is typically 5 years so if the code is not within a year I'd ask for different tires.

And I agree with not skimping. Your life is riding on those tires.

Good luck.

Edited: The date is important because rubber deteriorates with age. A tire that's been in service for five or six years should be replaced regardless of tread depth. Cut a year or two off that for vehicles that are not garaged during the day or are run in areas of high ground-level ozone.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">&gt;snip
Cut a year or two off that for vehicles that are not garaged during the day or are run in areas of high ground-level ozone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know if you "run in an area of high ground-level ozone"?
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

One more vote for ..Do not skimp.. I've had good luck with both Michelin and Goodyear. I just don't think it is an area where you want to try and save money. And let dealer know right up front you will not accept tires with an old build date.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I replied in another post that I recently had 6 Michelins 22.5" tires installed on my MH. they were dated 2007s and 2008s. To try and get 6 tires with the same manufacture date is almost impossible. The cost with mounting, balancing, and new steel stems, including tax and disposal was $2378.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have had six coaches over the years and I agree with the rest of the folks. Don't skimp on tires. I could be your life........It's the element you don't want to cut back on.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

In my experience, if you can find the same tire which which came with the coach, stay with it. I have changed out tires with wider, higher wieght rating good quality tires and had handling issues. It seems that the motorhome companies are tuning the tires for ride you get with the rig as new.
If you are unhappy with your presentg handling, then venture off to a new driving experience.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CJBROWN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">&gt;snip
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know if you "run in an area of high ground-level ozone"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not trying to be a smart alec with this answer, but you should do a search for

high ground level ozone

using Google, and you will come up with a lot of information. Like when the air is stagnant, where there are wildfires, heavy industrial transformers, etc.

Edited: "Ground-level ozone is formed by a chemical reaction between VOCs and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in the presence of sunlight. Ozone concentrations can reach unhealthful levels when the weather is hot and sunny with little or no wind. View ozone concentrations and corresponding weather conditions for a day in 1998 when high ozone concentrations were measured across Southern New England. In New England, high ozone levels usually occur between 1:00 and 7:00 pm from May through September. "

" “During the summer months, ground-level ozone is the state’s most widespread air quality concern,” said Myra C. Reece, chief of DHEC’s Bureau of Air Quality. “High ground-level ozone concentrations generally occur on hot sunny days when the air is stagnant. Ground-level ozone is formed when nitrogen oxide and volatile organic compounds react chemically in sunlight. This can create breathing problems especially for children, people with asthma or other respiratory problems, and adults who work or exercise outdoors. Ground-level ozone can also cause tree and crop damage.”

Reece said April 1 marks the beginning of the forecasting service for ground-level ozone concentrations in South Carolina"

"Wildfires can boost ozone pollution to levels that violate U.S. health standards, a new study concludes. The research, by scientists at the National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colo., focused on California wildfires in 2007, finding that they repeatedly caused ground-level ozone to spike to unhealthy levels across a broad area, including much of rural California as well as neighbouring Nevada."
==============

I think the question is, What is a high enough level to have an effect on tires?

Edited (again) For Information
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote