Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2022, 08:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Check your trailers tire Dates and change ASAP

Well I didn’t follow these directions and wow what a trip

I own a 2017 2455bhs and now I know after this trip that they had the original tires on trailer. Still had great tread and visually looked new to the eye.

This weekend we took out on a 3 hr road trip hauling our camper on Thursday… got about 2 hours down the road and heard an odd noise like a tire pop. Looked back and passenger side was throwing all kinds of debris from tire. I pulled off highway at mile 19 to realized not only did the passenger side tire blow out. One of the drivers side had come apart at the same time. I only carry one spare. Had to call a mobile service truck to bring an extra tire He brought me a spare tire and rim and mounted my spare tire from back of Winnie and off we went. Enjoyed the weekend and headed back home on Sunday. Got to mile 19 and looked over to see where we broke down before. As I say I think that is where it was. I hear a familiar sound. No way!!! My drivers side tire is throwing debris and pull over in front of the off-ramp of exit 19. Get out and it was my spare that blew out this time. Wow the luck but everyone was safe. Called another mobile repair to replace tire and get back home.

Long story short…. Travel with a jack that will jack your camper up… my 2020 tundra comes with a small bottle jack that I’m not certain would even jack the truck up let alone my camper. And replace all tire before the 5 year mark no matter how they look. That spare tire that blew had not ever been used and was covered it’s whole life. Got about 2 hours of driving on it and it blew.

Also get roadside assistance on your camper. For some reason I thought I had it and realized I did not once I needed it.

Will be making sure every tire is new on the camper before we head back out anywhere.
Npeters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I old were your tires?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My trailer tires were dated from 2016 Never imagined they were that bad off by the looks of them
Npeters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npeters7 View Post
My trailer tires were dated from 2016 Never imagined they were that bad off by the looks of them
I asked because I have 2017 242 Limited Yamaha Boat. My four tires and spare are 6 years old as well and still look good.

I normally try to get 8 years before replacing. Since buying the RV we have not had any long trips with the boat, so it is just local lakes and state parks. But If I need a long trip 2 hours or more, I think I will replace before towing that boat.

They do crack over time and sitting makes it worse on them. If you used them alot they would need to be replace in 3 or 4 years
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #5
Site Team

One other word of caution - when replacing your trailer tires check the Load Rating and realize that the manufacturers put tires on your trailer that are rated to just barely support the weight of the trailer when it leaves the factory.

When we had travel trailers - from a quality manufacturer - we had numerous blow outs and learned that the factory tires were load rated "C" and a bit under sized as well. After multiple blowouts we changed to one size larger tires that were Load Rated "E" and never had any other problems. The C rated tires were 6-ply and the E rated tires were 10-ply and capable of carrying much more weight.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I was doing something outside several years ago and heard a loud bang. I looked up to see the vinyl cover from my 5th wheel spare floating to the ground. I went to look and the spare, which was 7 years old and had never been on the ground, had exploded. There was about an 12" tear on the top side of the tire. I replaced all 5 the following weekend, but also got a call from the tire shop asking what I wanted to do: the wheels/tires on one side were 14" like the sticker on the trailer said, but the other side (matching wheels) were 15".

The previous owner hadn't replaced the tires and had no idea how that had happened either.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

FWIW, over 80% of all tire failures are the result of overloading/under-inflation.
Carlisle tire recommends replacing ST trailer tires every 3 years, and, if their ST tires are not inflated to sidewall maximum the warranty is void.

wyocamper, that sounds like a bad day on the assembly line.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I was doing something outside several years ago and heard a loud bang. I looked up to see the vinyl cover from my 5th wheel spare floating to the ground. I went to look and the spare, which was 7 years old and had never been on the ground, had exploded. There was about an 12" tear on the top side of the tire. I replaced all 5 the following weekend, but also got a call from the tire shop asking what I wanted to do: the wheels/tires on one side were 14" like the sticker on the trailer said, but the other side (matching wheels) were 15".

The previous owner hadn't replaced the tires and had no idea how that had happened either.
My moneys says the 14" were wheels specified, but trailer Mfg installer made mistake to put the 15" wheels on or they were out of the 14" wheel / tires but they had to ship the trailer so they upgraded.